Jump to content

newmexico Pretty much the whole state of New Mexico is shut down for riding

Recommended Posts

Looks like San Juan County is almost the only place you will be able to ride in NM this weekend.  Pretty much the rest of the state is under a stage 2 fire restriction that restricts internal combustion engines.  We're only at Stage 1 here.

https://firerestrictions.us/nm/

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dane Richardson said:

Not good. I was going there during the summer to visit some relatives but nonow I can't bring my bike :thumbsdn:

It will change if we get enough rain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Looks like San Juan County is almost the only place you will be able to ride in NM this weekend.  Pretty much the rest of the state is under a stage 2 fire restriction that restricts internal combustion engines.  We're only at Stage 1 here.

https://firerestrictions.us/nm/

We're right behind you in Arizona. 600+ fires so far, I'm thinking 50,000 acres. All but 9 human caused. :foul:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At what stage do they tell folks to stop shooting? Some Ass just about burned the Lake Vallecito again this past weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ill be moving to NM in a week. How often does this happen? 
Most summers to some point. This year is worse than it's been in a long time. Probably not going to be much dirt bike riding until the monsoons come in August.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, motodavermz450 said:

Ill be moving to NM in a week. How often does this happen? 

Come up to San Juan County, its about the only place left to ride.  And we have some epic high desert trails anyway. :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stage 2 means no open fires, no smoking outside, no shooting. You can still ride on roads... BETTER HAVE A SPARK ARRESTOR!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's mostly gone to stage 3 now. Can't go there at all, even on a MTB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 of the 3 NFs near here are on Stage 3, and the San Juan will be going to it probably Monday in the wake of the 416 fire near Durango that is now 17,000 acres and growing.  There's also a new fire north of Mancos between Dolores and Rico that has blown up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Closed the San Juan NF today and all public lands in LaPlata County. :thumbsdn:

It's much worse if it burns, trust me.

This is just a bit

behind my house, 8 years later...

P1000279.JPG.f0909c17f9961ef9804466d1b4a08c26.JPG

That was all Ponderosa Pines, 15 square miles. A campfire, likely a flatlander.

The resulting flooding was pretty bad too. From my side deck...

P1000055.JPG.8067386c80e40c6cef1523b0af322de9.JPG

And from the front deck...P1000060.JPG.860c0110b745dd4b392132b8e7a4c3f6.JPG

I rented a loader and hauled out 70 yards of debris. Total out of pocket loss was well over $10k because who carries flood insurance on the side of a mountain?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a bit hot to ride here anyway, 88F today and any direction is even warmer, sometimes much warmer. Not too bad for the street though. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a mess.  Don't take me wrong, I fully agree with them closing everything.  Its just the whole situation I'm down on.  And the only place left to ride is BLM around me, 95* yesterday when I got off work, and way too smoky in the morning.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Quite a mess.  Don't take me wrong, I fully agree with them closing everything.  Its just the whole situation I'm down on.  And the only place left to ride is BLM around me, 95* yesterday when I got off work, and way too smoky in the morning.

50-50 for rain here this weekend. Won't be much, but it'll eventually come. Maybe you'll get lucky too. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I'm riding street mostly. :ride:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flagstaff said:

50-50 for rain here this weekend. Won't be much, but it'll eventually come. Maybe you'll get lucky too. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I'm riding street mostly. :ride:

:thumbsup:

weather.JPG.93cffc083488f6b24a7c7007ba76c29b.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×