newmexico At war with ourselves

Many of you in the SW are familiar with WEBE Racing hare scramble series.  They have races around northern NM and southern UT and CO.  I've always supported their efforts, my sons have raced in many of their events.  But, now I really have to withdraw any support I have.  They open the season at the Dunes Recreation area west of Farmington, NM, a huge sandpit of a BLM rec area that is virtually empty of vegetation and single track trails.  A time or 2 in the past they have also had a race later in the season on the old MX track and some of the trails around it near Aztec.  Those trails are pretty much blown out by SxSs and just plain heavy use.  So, instead of racing there again where there isn't a whole lot damage to be done they picked a lightly used area of BLM land outside Farmington near the Safety City LEO training facility.  There is a lot of very nice and narrow high desert ST there, and I can guarantee you that not only is it going to get blown out, but it will get more use in the future.  This, to me, is a tragedy in the making.  It seems like all the nice trails are getting destroyed around here by idiots in SxS, Quads, or dirt bikers that don't respect what we have.  I emailed WEBE with my concerns as a local, but days later still no response.  I'm upset that the BLM even permitted them for that area.  Not much can be done short of going to court and getting an injunction, and that is way beyond my financial means.  BTW, I am no where near the only one in this area that feels this way.

Start a petition at the next race. If most or even half agree with you, that would go a long way with the promoter I would think.

I feel ya man. Out here in havasu AZ our single track gets poached by SxS all the time. They have TONS of technical rock crawling type terrain, tons of high speed washes that they've washboarded out so bad a dirt biker is n danger of biting his tongue off or having a head on collision. Yet they c r ST and can't resist! Ugh man, & we get labelled the bad guys cuz for our safety, sanity and enjoyment we cut n new trail. I'm not a big regulation guy but man a lil help would b nice.

Final nail in the coffin. When the antis see and spread the pics of the destruction more areas will close. Sickening, disgusting and many more words I don't use.

Unfortunately my post here has very little to do with SxSs and everything to do with a dirt bike racing organization turning a blind eye to the sensitivity of some of the trails around here.  Yes, SxSs and irresponsible dirt bikers have ruined other areas, but this is all about an irresponsible sanctioning body.

This is the area I'm concerned about.  As you can see, its 95% narrow desert single track that will get completely blown out by a crowd of racers.  This is not the place to hold a race responsibly.  Thanks to TeamGreenPilot for the video.

The majority of the none automobile offload scene unfortunately is quads and sxs. It doesn't take any level of fitness or skill to hop in/hop on one. 

Look at your average 4 x 4 quad rider/sxs user, late 30's to early 50's, overweight, out of shape. They just want to cruise around and show everyone how much they spent. 

They don't understand what it takes to ride a dirt bike, and they would rather lay claim to all riding areas, then have the audacity to ban dirt bikes. Look at NH. We have a "ride the wilds" project in the northern part of our state...........90-95% is QUAD AND SXS only. Why you ask? because we have 4500 regularly registered dirt bikes to their 40,000 registered quads and sxs. In turn they run the show and don't want us "rutting up" their trails. Sad sad sad.

Did I mention registration is now 85$ a year without a club membership.....................hahahahahaha what a joke.

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/NHATV_ATV_map.pdf

Their is the offroad map, the northern most portion is the "ride the wilds" and TB represents trail bike friendly trails........................................