2smokinCR

My new, or new to me, 2000 CR250

Alright guys, this is her. I know she’s not pretty, and is going to need basically everything rebuilt or replaced, but I love it!! I just got into dirtbike riding about a year ago and am really into learning how to tear apart and put back together these awesome machines. This is my first full-size bike and I’m stoked in it. I also have a 2003 Honda CR85R big wheel which is my first 2 stroke. It rips and hauls butt! I weigh 180 lbs and it’s hard to keep the front wheel down! Anyways, this is the new project. The guy is looking for the jug and said he’d call me if he finds it, but I’m not holding my breath haha. Sucks too because the lower valves and all are in the cylinder but I think I can find one on eBay. I’m sure the bottom end will need to be split and gone through too, but this is why I bought this beast. To learn. Let me know if y’all think I got a good deal. I only paid $100 for everything. I got the seat, stator cover, and the jug head too.

Posted (edited)

Yep. You got a deal. Much more than $100 in parts for sure. Get a manual, get it put back together and you will have saved one of the best MX bikes ever. Start a build thread. bikeboneyard.com for any used parts you may need, good deals and may have a complete cylinder.. good luck with your project

Edited by mxsteve1968
  • Like 2

Well that’s good to know. I’m really excited to start on it. I do have one question, can I use the top cylinder off of any other cr250’s or am I limited to 2000-2001? Just having a hard time locating one for a 2000 that isn’t a fortune or f’ed up. Thanks.

• Like 1

Unless very luck whatever you find will probably need a replating job. Do that with a new piston and the plater will have you good as new. I had a 00 and still have an 01, the 01 has a wider powerband.

• Like 1

I have the 00 since new , great bike ,get yours done and you wont be sorry .. A sandwhich plate on the power valve will improve the power band into a more useable engine ..Good luck i had mine for 18 years same cylinder 3 x pistons and still bloody quick ..

• Like 3

Sweeet, keep us updated on this thing. U wont be sorry. All cr250 bike are good and this one is no exception

Thanks for the input and support! I’ve dove in head first and am making decent progress. Does anybody have any recommendations for any mx sites that I can start ordering crank kit, piston kit, and bottom end bearings and what not? I’d like to be able to get it all from one site but not sure if there’s one that has everything I need for the first of many orders... a few new pics...IMG_4340.JPGIMG_4341.JPGIMG_4352.JPGIMG_4353.JPG
Any additional advice or anything is much appreciated y’all.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're doing the lower end while you're at it, save a few bucks for a clutch basket possibly. Take your time and doit right,  in the end you'll have a nice bike that you know inside and out.  

Glad to hear you're doing the lower end while you're at it, save a few bucks for a clutch basket possibly. Take your time and doit right,  in the end you'll have a nice bike that you know inside and out.  

Yeah I’d rather take care of everything while I have the engine out and opened up. Kinda anxious about it because this is my first time splitting cases and disassembling everything it entails. I just plan on labeling the heck out of everything and taking lots of pictures. I’m working on buying a go pro to record the process as well. Anything I need to lookout for you can think of? Thanks.

14 hours ago, Crnewbie said:

Thanks for the input and support! I’ve dove in head first and am making decent progress. Does anybody have any recommendations for any mx sites that I can start ordering crank kit, piston kit, and bottom end bearings and what not? I’d like to be able to get it all from one site but not sure if there’s one that has everything I need for the first of many orders... a few new pics...IMG_4340.JPGIMG_4341.JPGIMG_4352.JPGIMG_4353.JPG
Any additional advice or anything is much appreciated y’all.

Rocky Mtn or Honda Toledo East are my two choices, both fair prices and easy to deal with. Never an issue with either one. Good luck.

One more suggestion. Get an extra large cheap white towel from Walmart to put under the bike. If something falls(it will) it will stay right there instead of rolling, bouncing around somewhere never to be found again. Or just a solid white sheet from a small bed, etc.

• Like 5

One more suggestion. Get an extra large cheap white towel from Walmart to put under the bike. If something falls(it will) it will stay right there instead of rolling, bouncing around somewhere never to be found again. Or just a solid white sheet from a small bed, etc.

That’s a great idea that I hadn’t thought about. I’ll definitely do that and thanks for the websites too. I’ll check them out.

Here is a jug for less that 100. Needs a replate though.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183228571291

-Also, I know it will be awhile until you get to suspension. But I would def advise getting the suspension set up for you weight/riding style if your going to do any motocross. Those bikes are super rigid due to the aluminum frame. I had one and suspension made a HUGE difference. Also, check/grease all the living points before you give her a clean bill of health. Enjoy!

Here is a jug for less that 100. Needs a replate though.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183228571291

-Also, I know it will be awhile until you get to suspension. But I would def advise getting the suspension set up for you weight/riding style if your going to do any motocross. Those bikes are super rigid due to the aluminum frame. I had one and suspension made a HUGE difference. Also, check/grease all the living points before you give her a clean bill of health. Enjoy!

Yeah I saw that cylinder, but I need the reeds, boot, and power valves. I saw one on there for around 300 but it still needs to be taken apart and gone through...on a brighter note, I’ve gotten pretty much all the way to the frame. Forks and rear shock definitely need a rebuild. And does anyone have a way to take the front triple trees off? I’m sure those bearing need to be replaced but I’ve never taken them off before. Any advise? Also here’s some new pics from this morning. IMG_4372.JPGIMG_4369.JPGIMG_4367.JPG
I also plan on polishing the shit out of all the aluminum to make her shine. Might as well since it’s all apart.

There are two nuts holding the triples on. One obvious big one and a funny little one. And there is a little metal/rubber seal under the little funny one. Pay attention to how it is on there, don't put it upside down when you go back together. The big nut is very tight, the little one is not tight at all. At least not supposed to be. When you remove the little one things will fall apart, be ready. Get a shop/service manual. Get a shop/service manual. Get a shop/service manual.

There are two nuts holding the triples on. One obvious big one and a funny little one. And there is a little metal/rubber seal under the little funny one. Pay attention to how it is on there, don't put it upside down when you go back together. The big nut is very tight, the little one is not tight at all. At least not supposed to be. When you remove the little one things will fall apart, be ready. Get a shop/service manual. Get a shop/service manual. Get a shop/service manual.

Thanks for the advice. Service manual is ordered and should be here next week. Are they usually pretty expensive? I got the official Honda manual and it was like 75 bucks.

The Honda manual is the best and will save you money every time you do anything to the bike. Pay attention to all the captions, etc, there is a wealth of good info in there starting with the first page. :thumbsup:

Any mine recommend any specific website I can start buying bearings, bottom and top rebuild kits, and other stuff from? Ideally I’d like to just order everything from the same site, but is it worth it to buy everything separately as I find it the cheapest? I’m not in a rush to finish this thing and I know it’s going to take a ton of work and more importantly a good amount of money to get her going again. Just trying to save the most money but also make sure I get quality parts for my rebuild.

Posted (edited)

Rocky Mtn or Honda Toledo East. Both are dependable and excellent prices. Rocky Mtn is slightly higher but service is beyond excellent and ships immediately for free. They will also match price. If in no rush Honda Toledo is fine.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1