My new, or new to me, 2000 CR250

On 6/2/2018 at 2:55 PM, Crnewbie said:

Thanks for the advice. Service manual is ordered and should be here next week. Are they usually pretty expensive? I got the official Honda manual and it was like 75 bucks.

Where did u get the Honda service manual? U got a website or a link? My old one is falling apart

On 6/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, Crnewbie said:

Any mine recommend any specific website I can start buying bearings, bottom and top rebuild kits, and other stuff from? Ideally I’d like to just order everything from the same site, but is it worth it to buy everything separately as I find it the cheapest? I’m not in a rush to finish this thing and I know it’s going to take a ton of work and more importantly a good amount of money to get her going again. Just trying to save the most money but also make sure I get quality parts for my rebuild.

Get a WRENCH RABBIT rebuild kit,  it comes with the top end, bottom end, crank  and comes with all seals, bearings, gaskets Etc.  that you will need for a total rebuild in one box. And they are good quality stuff.

I rebuilt a 2001 Honda CR250 and wish I would have heard of the wrench rabbit kit before I bought all the parts separately, because it was way more expensive for me, and I didn't even get all the parts that are in the wrench rabbit kit. If I had to do it over again I would go with the wrench rabbit kit. 

If you need any swingarm parts or suspension linkage parts like bearings, bushings,  seals, Etc..  go with PIVOT WORKS, they sell different kits, that are top notch. U can find everything on there website .

Edited by Orange Crush 500
  • Like 1

Get a WRENCH RABBIT rebuild kit,  it comes with the top end, bottom end, crank  and comes with all seals, bearings, gaskets Etc.  that you will need for a total rebuild in one box. And they are good quality stuff.
I rebuilt a 2001 Honda CR250 and wish I would have heard of the wrench rabbit kit before I bought all the parts separately, because it was way more expensive for me, and I didn't even get all the parts that are in the wrench rabbit kit. If I had to do it over again I would go with the wrench rabbit kit. 
If you need any swingarm parts or suspension linkage parts like bearings, bushings,  seals, Etc..  go with PIVOT WORKS, they sell different kits, that are top notch. U can find everything on there website .

I got my Honda manual off eBay. The Haynes catalog is a lot less expensive, but I figured since this is my first complete rebuild, I’d spend a little more and get the official Honda one. I think it was 75 bucks. I’ve been looking into pivot works for bearings and things for the linkage and swing arm, as well as the steering stem and rear suspension. But the wrench rabbit sounds awesome. That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for is a COMPLETE kit with every bearing and seal for the rebuild. Thanks again for the info. I’m learning a lot from you guys in this site and I appreciate all of it!
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Crnewbie said:

I got my Honda manual off eBay. The Haynes catalog is a lot less expensive,

I will only use service manuals  made for the manufacturer  of the motorcycle I'm working on .. I always have, and will only use a HONDA SERVICE MANUAL, for my Hondas, no others are even close. If the factory Honda mechanics wrote it, and use it, then that's all I need to know

KTM service manual for my KTMs, etc. :thumbsup:

NO CLYMER OR HAYNES MANUALS FOR ME.

Edited by Orange Crush 500

Update: parts ordered this evening. Wrench rabbit full rebuild kit, linkage bearings, rear shock bearings, and steering stem bearings. Finally gonna start to get some progress done on this beauty. Still looking for a cylinder, but that is really the last BIG item I need in order to get her fired up. Exhaust, plastics, and I want to rebuild the front forks and rear shock. Think that’s something I can manage to do. I want to get the engine right before I spend any other money on anything else though.

Alright I finally got an afternoon with nobody home to take this engine apart. I’ve never done it before, and I wanted to give myself plenty of time. The crank seemed locked up when I got the bike and I was missing the cylinder. After I got the cases apart, I realized why it seemed locked up, all of them Liston fragments were wedges down there. I already purchased a wrench rabbit kit so I’ll be replacing it anyways along with all the bearings and gaskets. What do y’all think? See anything I don’t? Remember I’m not really sure what to look for as far as damage and whatnot. Thanks!!IMG_4550.JPG IMG_4551.JPGIMG_4554.JPGIMG_4553.JPGIMG_4556.JPGIMG_4558.JPG

• Like 1

Cleaned and regressed Kickstarter. Should be putting bearings in the cases this weekend. There was some grey sludge at the bottom of the inside of the cases. Looks like it’s maybe oil that has had water and has been sitting? Bike had been in dudes shed for 10+ years. Any recommendation on how to clean it out? Mostly just smears with the degreaser...IMG_4590.JPGIMG_4594.JPG

How did you get the kickstarter apart? Heat? I could not get the screw out but was going to replace it anyway so just tossed it.

Edited by Piney Woods

I used an impact screwdriver. It had thread locker on it apparently from the previous owner or from sitting for so long, but luckily came apart fairly easily. Definitely needed a good cleaning too!

I saw the pics of the cases and saw the sludge line.

I'm thinking its from the clutch, the stock clutch has some steel and some aluminum plates.

The aluminum contaminates the oil quickly.

The previous owner probably didn't change the oil as often as needed, then it sat for ten years!

I installed a Tusk competition kit with all steel plates and heavier springs.

BTW, my fibers were still good but the aluminum plates were worn

Hey thanks flyin! I had thought it might be the clutch, but I didn’t know if it could e been that water for in the case and after so long it just turned to sludge. I plan on replacing the clutch kit with the risk one like you said. Thanks for the info. I’m always looking for advice and input.

Got the all the bottom end all cleaned up and the bearings replaced and the crank installed. I need to get some loctite for the screws and bolts holding the two bearings down then I’ll be on to installing the transmission and getting the cases back together. Knock on wood, everything is going pretty smooth so far. And I’m stoked about it being my first time doing this.IMG_4627.JPGIMG_4628.JPG

Cool, how is the wrench rabbit kits quality of parts? Is everything clearly labeled which part it is? Any directions with it? Etc

Actually, nothing is really labeled at all. Ive just tried to be meticulous about how i took it apart and labeled the hell out of everything even down to the bolt positions. So when I opened up the wrench rabbit kit, I just put everything where it was. It definitely comes with everything you need including a water pump bearing and seal kit. It’s awesome to just buy one thing and it have all I need. Pretty sweet. I’m having a blast rebuilding this engine.
  • Like 2

It came with a hot rod crank and vertex piston. Hot rod bearings and vertex oils seals. I’m guessing the quality is decent enough. Maybe not as good as oem, but I got the whole kit for under 550, which to me was a pretty killer deal. I guess we’ll have to wait and see how she purrs when I get it all back together.

48 minutes ago, 2smokinCR said:

Actually, nothing is really labeled at all. Ive just tried to be meticulous about how i took it apart and labeled the hell out of everything even down to the bolt positions. 

That's the way to do it :thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, 2smokinCR said:

It came with a hot rod crank and vertex piston. Hot rod bearings and vertex oils seals. I’m guessing the quality is decent enough. Maybe not as good as oem, but I got the whole kit for under 550, which to me was a pretty killer deal. I guess we’ll have to wait and see how she purrs when I get it all back together.

IMO,  Hondas quality cant be beat , but the $$ for OEM parts adds up quick and gets expensive. But if money is no object  then Honda OEM is the way to go for 99% of parts.