My new, or new to me, 2000 CR250

Well that’s good to know. I’m really excited to start on it. I do have one question, can I use the top cylinder off of any other cr250’s or am I limited to 2000-2001? Just having a hard time locating one for a 2000 that isn’t a fortune or f’ed up. Thanks.

From 1992 model topends up till the 2001 have all same set up mate so i hope that helps with finding one abit quicker and easier on yourself

8 hours ago, Mr.2stroker bandit of all said:

From 1992 model topends up till the 2001 have all same set up mate so i hope that helps with finding one abit quicker and easier on yourselfemoji6.png

'92 or '93? No porting changes?

From 1992 model topends up till the 2001 have all same set up mate so i hope that helps with finding one abit quicker and easier on yourself

I think there are some differences in the years, but I already got a used cylinder, my year, that is in great shape and already installed!! Just put the engine one the frame the other day. IMG_4830.JPG
  • Like 2

Oh my my my...what a pain in the butt this was. Two came out nice and easy, no heat even needed...but one was straight rusted together. Took about a whole bottle of propane and a lot of patience. We got her done though! I’ve found that going through all these processes so far building bikes, it’s very rewarding. I’m stoked every time I get something new accomplished. This thing is going to rip balls when she’s done. IMG_4852.JPGIMG_4853.JPG

What rebuild parts are you using?

Pivot works linkage rebuild kit. Comes with everything including new dust caps. Should work like a charm. I wish I could use oem, but this dude is on a budget. You ever used pivot works bearings Piney? I replaced the steering stem bearings with a pivot works kit too. Went on easily. I have the right tools for it that made it easy too.

Yes I have. Only issue was the seals, none of mine fit properly. I had to get OEM Honda seals to do things right. The PW seals were a hard, stiff plastic and just plain junk. Maybe they have changed, hope so.

IMG_4870.JPGIMG_4873.JPGIMG_4876.JPG
Got the linkage full of new bearings and grease. Installed them and the rear shock. Got a newer rear brake master cylinder with the reservoir built in because I like the look of it better. Does the brake pedal look like it’s too close to the clutch cover? I love all the progress I got going on!!

16 hours ago, 2smokinCR said:

IMG_4870.JPGIMG_4873.JPGIMG_4876.JPG
Got the linkage full of new bearings and grease. Installed them and the rear shock. Got a newer rear brake master cylinder with the reservoir built in because I like the look of it better. Does the brake pedal look like it’s too close to the clutch cover? I love all the progress I got going on!!

I've been thinking of that brake reservoir/mst cyl deal for a long time. The standard one is a pain to work with. What yr model did you use? What about the hose? Thanks.

I've been thinking of that brake reservoir/mst cyl deal for a long time. The standard one is a pain to work with. What yr model did you use? What about the hose? Thanks.

Yeah I had one on my 03 cr85 and it was sweet. Way easier to fill and check fluid and not as many vulnerable hoses. I bought mine off eBay. It was off of a 2005 crf450r (43500-KZ4-J42 B). And believe it or not, the same brake line going down the swing arm to the caliper fits perfectly. It was an easy upgrade and install in my opinion and I’m sure you’re much more mechanically inclined then me.

I have another question...should I attempt to rebuild the forks myself? Or pay $70 per fork plus parts. I’ve watched videos and read the manual. Looks like I’d have to buy a couple more tools, but I can get a rebuild kit for $50. Thoughts? I’m also on the hunt for a carb/reed insulator boot with clamp...

If you don't have a OEM Honda Service manual get one, will saves you lots of money. The forks are pretty simple but require attention and focus. I do the basics but not revalving. Several excellent videos out there. I am very very much a believer in Honda OEM parts especially in the suspension. A fella installed some cheap parts once and the action and durability was very poor. For me it is Honda only. With the money you save doing it yourself you can get the service manual and the good parts. Good luck.

If you don't have a OEM Honda Service manual get one, will saves you lots of money. The forks are pretty simple but require attention and focus. I do the basics but not revalving. Several excellent videos out there. I am very very much a believer in Honda OEM parts especially in the suspension. A fella installed some cheap parts once and the action and durability was very poor. For me it is Honda only. With the money you save doing it yourself you can get the service manual and the good parts. Good luck.

One of my first purchases when starting this project was a Honda service manual. It’s saved me time and money with the step by step instructions it provides. I’m not sure I’ll be able to afford all oem parts for the forks, but I’ll look into it and the few other tools I think I’ll need. The front forks, and finding an expansion chamber that’s not a fortune are really the last big things I need everything else is more along the lines of brake pads, possibly brake lines, grips, plastics, and I’m sure a few other odds and ends. Oh and I also am still looking for a insulator boot that connects to the reed cage. Other then that, I’m looking pretty good. Thanks for all the help and advice.

If you watch the fork rebuild videos you will see that you really don't need any special tools for the forks. PVC for the seal drivers and other normal hand tools are all you need.  You'll be fine.

IMG_5564.JPGIMG_5565.JPGIMG_5566.JPGIMG_5567.JPG

Adding oil today and coolant tomorrow. Waiting on a expansion chamber that should be here by Friday and then I’ll be firing this baby up. Anyone know of a good routine to go by for breaking the engine in? Is the way I ran the cables and everything look right? I tried to follow my manual but the mechanic lingo gets me sometimes...thanks in advance y’all.