My new, or new to me, 2000 CR250

I also had a question, I got a newer rear master brake cylinder and new brake pads. After connecting everything, I can’t seem to get any brake fluid to the caliper. I cleaned out the banjo bolts, brake line, and cleaned the piston and the caliper and it still won’t get to it. I’m guessing it’s necessary to have a vacuum pump to help fill the line with fluid again? Need help! I’ve tried pumping the brake and everything. The pedal also seems to be sticking when fully pushed down. Is that normal? How do I correct? Thanks in advance y’all.

That packing didn't look bad, the only part that really matters is the inner core that is touching the core.

23 hours ago, 2smokinCR said:

I also had a question, I got a newer rear master brake cylinder and new brake pads. After connecting everything, I can’t seem to get any brake fluid to the caliper. I cleaned out the banjo bolts, brake line, and cleaned the piston and the caliper and it still won’t get to it. I’m guessing it’s necessary to have a vacuum pump to help fill the line with fluid again? Need help! I’ve tried pumping the brake and everything. The pedal also seems to be sticking when fully pushed down. Is that normal? How do I correct? Thanks in advance y’all.

I am sure you have greased the brake lever properly so we can forget that. Back bleed the brakes at the bleeder with a little syringe. You can get them free at an animal vet office. Be sure to leave the top off the reservoir.

That packing didn't look bad, the only part that really matters is the inner core that is touching the core.

Yeah I kinda figured that after I had already taken it out. I’ll get some fresh for it anyways. Any idea about the rear brake?

I am sure you have greased the brake lever properly so we can forget that. Back bleed the brakes at the bleeder with a little syringe. You can get them free at an animal vet office. Be sure to leave the top off the reservoir.

Ok cool. Yeah I greased everything good and got new dust seals for either side as well. I’ll try the syringe trick as well. I ordered a vacuum hand brake bleeder too just so I cover all my bases. I’ll keep you posted Piney. Thanks for all your advice bud.

You're more than welcome. I am far from an expert but I have had many CR's since my first in '86. 86, 89, 91, 93, 95, 00 and my current 01 I will never sell. I have learned a couple things about them along the way. And most of that is that stock/OEM is usually best. I've enjoyed watching your build, good luck.

• Like 1

Alright guys, I had bought a used fmf fatty expansion chamber offline and when it arrived, the top tab was broken off. After going back and forth with the seller, I remembered that I got a clapped expansion chamber with the the bike that is unusable. I took both pipes to a buddy who welds and he took the tab off the clapped pipe and put it on my new used pipe. Worked like a dream. Just need some coolant and I’ll be ready to fire. Got the front tire on as well. Still need to rebuild the front forks as they leak, but I want to ride! ( and I need to save some more money up first haha) IMG_5672.JPGIMG_5679.JPGIMG_5681.JPGIMG_5680.JPGIMG_5671.JPG
And I repacked the silencer!

Great job looking good. I vote to red scotch brute that swingarm and get the factory brushed look back. If you check out vitalmx there are a few really nice build threads on these bikes for inspiration.
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2001-CR250-pecial-Restoration-Part-II-RC250-Factory-Replica-or-Tribute-bike,1328739?page=7#post_3934756

IMG_5687.JPGIMG_5688.JPG
Got her all shined up. Got a new fuel line and coolant this morning. Should be ready to fire up this afternoon if I can get some time!! Wish me luck y’all. I’ll take a video of the first crank.

My front fender runs on the expansion chamber too. Is that just a little trim job needed? Is it normal to have to trim the fender?

Rubs*

On 9/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, Puddn421 said:

Great job looking good. I vote to red scotch brute that swingarm and get the factory brushed look back. If you check out vitalmx there are a few really nice build threads on these bikes for inspiration.
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2001-CR250-pecial-Restoration-Part-II-RC250-Factory-Replica-or-Tribute-bike,1328739?page=7#post_3934756

Great info, thanks.

Should not rub at all.

I wonder what happened then. The bolts line up just fine. I put new o-rings and the little metal gasket in as well.

Remove the silencer, loosen ALL the pipe clamps and see if it can be adjusted a little. With new o-rings on the pipe it can need a little "persuasion" to get it in the cylinder all the way. Put a little grease on the o-rings and be sure the cylinder is very clean. If the o-rings are FMF they are thicker than oem and are a little difficult. Then dbl check that your fender is mounted properly. Stock fender? Any chance the pipe is bent a little?

Remove the silencer, loosen ALL the pipe clamps and see if it can be adjusted a little. With new o-rings on the pipe it can need a little "persuasion" to get it in the cylinder all the way. Put a little grease on the o-rings and be sure the cylinder is very clean. If the o-rings are FMF they are thicker than oem and are a little difficult. Then dbl check that your fender is mounted properly. Stock fender? Any chance the pipe is bent a little?

Yeah the fmf orings are green and are giving me the problem I believe. I’ll take them off and grease them like you said soon. I did fire the bike today! It took a few kicks and ran for about a minute then cut off. And after kicking it about 30 more times, I gave up, mainly because my leg was so damn tired. Thai thing kicks like a mule. What could my issue be? No leaks, full of coolant and oil, new gas and mix, new spark plug. It’s breaking my heart fellas. What do I do?

choke on? gas on? spark plug boot on tight? Airscrew on carb 1 1/2 to 2 turns out? Tip bike over and hold it there until gas leaks out of overflow tube on carb onto the ground,  Then try to start. No throttle. 

• Like 1

choke on? gas on? spark plug boot on tight? Airscrew on carb 1 1/2 to 2 turns out? Tip bike over and hold it there until gas leaks out of overflow tube on carb onto the ground,  Then try to start. No throttle. 

I’ll try that tomorrow crush. Thanks for the help. I hope she starts again. I also got new vent hoses for my carb. So I need to cut them at all? They hang pretty low under the bike.

I leave mine 4 to 6 inches below bottom of bike. U can trim them all to a point on the end. Or cut a 1 inch slit thru the middle of each tube on the end . Theze 2 tricks keep mud from clogging the ends of carb tubes.. . I think the slit method works better.

• Like 1