Sign in to follow this  

Wiring Harness Correct Install Question.

Hello all, I recently purchased this light and this wiring harness kit.  I know the wiring harness wasn't the cheapest route to go, but I don't have a lot of electrical knowledge and I wanted to make sure I had everything correct.  Could anyone please tell me where I'll be plugging that 12v relay into?  That's the only connection that I can't figure out.

Thanks for the help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SKD7SY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5UXWY4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 3.13.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 3.17.04 PM.png

Your picture is kind of self explanatory i think?
Connect the ring terminals to the battery posts, the output plugs to your lights

If you want to be able to make the outputs hot with Key off, or be able to turn off power to outlets with key on, leave it as is. 
The way that harness and relay is wired up, the switch is what is providing trigger signal power to the relay.
If you want the outputs hot only with Key on, you can cut out the switch and use headlight or tail light power circuit to trigger the relay.

If that is not what your asking, rephrase the question please.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Your picture is kind of self explanatory i think?
Connect the ring terminals to the battery posts, the output plugs to your lights

If you want to be able to make the outputs hot with Key off, or be able to turn off power to outlets with key on, leave it as is. 
The way that harness and relay is wired up, the switch is what is providing trigger signal power to the relay.
If you want the outputs hot only with Key on, you can cut out the switch and use headlight or tail light power circuit to trigger the relay.

If that is not what your asking, rephrase the question please.

I know the battery connectors connect to the battery.  The output connects to the led light I’m installing.  The switch turns the light on/off, which is what I want.  I only want to turn this light on when off-roading and turn it off for road driving.  

Question:  Where or what does that 12v relay plug into?  Or are you saying I don’t plug the relay in?  And it will work with the pre wired on/off switch? 

Edited by NewEngland400

3 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

I know the battery connectors connect to the battery.  The output connects to the led light I’m installing.  The switch turns the light on/off, which is what I want.  I only want to turn this light on when off-roading and turn it off for road driving.  

Question:  Where or what does that 12v relay plug into?  Or are you saying I don’t plug the relay in?  And it will work with the pre wired on/off switch? 

It does not plug into anything..it is wired in already. Install the harness as is,

• Like 1

Just now, Erik Marquez said:

It does not plug into anything..it is wired in already. Install the harness as is,

Alright so the complete install is:  mount on/off switch to handlebars, mount led light and plug into wiring harness, connect wiring harness to battery.

and that’s it?  The light will work and won’t draw too much power to hurt the bike? 

9 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

The light will work and won’t draw too much power to hurt the bike? 

LOL, never said that...
Yes for connections...
How many watts are your lights?
Understand if you leave them on, key off, your going to kill the small DRZ battery quickly.

A better way...... would be, relay triggered by a key on circuit on the bike, and then the switch in that trigger wire so you can interrupt it if you want and not have the lights come on when motor is on.... but that way, you cant turn on the lights if the motor is off

16 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

LOL, never said that...
Yes for connections...
How many watts are your lights?
Understand if you leave them on, key off, your going to kill the small DRZ battery quickly.

A better way...... would be, relay triggered by a key on circuit on the bike, and then the switch in that trigger wire so you can interrupt it if you want and not have the lights come on when motor is on.... but that way, you cant turn on the lights if the motor is off

So, if I do it the "basic" way I stated.  The lights will be on at all times unless I turn them off with the "On/Off switch"?  This will work fine for me if this is correct.

Edited by NewEngland400

Just now, NewEngland400 said:

So, if I do it the "basic" way I stated.  The lights will be on at all times unless I turn them off with the "On/Off switch"? 

Yes if you wire the two terminals to the battery, and outputs to the lights.  Anytime the switch is in on position, power will go to the lights

Just now, Erik Marquez said:

Yes if you wire the two terminals to the battery, and outputs to the lights.  Anytime the switch is in on position, power will go to the lights

It sounds plug and play if I do it that way.  Since I'll only be using the light at night, I believe I'll be able to remember to turn it off.  I just need to watch out for it accidentally turning on during the day and me not noticing.  I will start quickly eyeballing it when I hop off the bike to make sure its indeed off.

Thank you for clarifying!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

I'll be able to remember to turn it off.

One day, you wont..lol

I just need to watch out for it accidentally turning on during the day and me not noticing. 

Eventually you will, LOL

and me not noticing. 

Its going to happen, it just will......and that will be the day you need to be some where, battery dead.

Thank you for clarifying!

Your welcome

• Like 1

if those are the 3" run-d's im thinking of other drivers will be complaining at you and flashing their lights at you .... even in the day .. theyre bright as hell .. that said, doubt you would 'forget' to turn them off theyre very noticeable, however those types of rocker switches can be flipped easily by something falling on it like tree debri or an animal bird squirrel somebody just being a prick, anything .. it really needs to be wired to key switched power ...

Edited by cowpie

28 minutes ago, cowpie said:

if those are the 3" run-d's im thinking of other drivers will be complaining at you and flashing their lights at you .... even in the day .. theyre bright as hell .. that said, doubt you would 'forget' to turn them off theyre very noticeable, however those types of rocker switches can be flipped easily by something falling on it like tree debri or an animal bird squirrel somebody just being a prick, anything .. it really needs to be wired to key switched power ...

I mean I'm not an A-hole, I'll turn them off when a car is approaching and just keep my low beam on.  As far as the on/off switch being activated accidentally, even if it was, I don't really walk away from my bike when off-roading, so I'd be right there to turn it off.  If a bird activates it I'll shyt myself.        

Edited by NewEngland400
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, NewEngland400 said:

I mean I'm not an A-hole, I'll turn them off when a car is approaching and just keep my low beam on.  As far as the on/off switch being activated accidentally, even if it was, I don't really walk away from my bike when off-roading, so I'd be right there to turn it off.  If a bird activates it I'll shyt myself.        

your missing the point .. it could get turned on accidentally even parked in the garage at night while your asleep .. then your big plans to have a great ride to work in the morning are toast ..

• Like 2

I don't mean to add to the controversy over the relay. But reading this thread there seems to be no purpose for the relay. A relay lets high current loads be switched using smaller wire and low current switches for the control circuit.  And/or the ability to remotely turn ON/OFF the circuit. In this case the remote ON/OFF seems to be of no interest so it is simply a matter of the current load. What is the current draw of the accessory lights?  If it is under 10 amps (120 watts) a simple toggle switch would do nicely. A wire from the battery to a fuse to a switch to the lights and a ground wire - done.  Personally I'd wire the control circuit for the relay thru the key switch as seems to be the recommendation which gives some purpose to the relay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noble said:

I don't mean to add to the controversy over the relay. But reading this thread there seems to be no purpose for the relay. A relay lets high current loads be switched using smaller wire and low current switches for the control circuit.  And/or the ability to remotely turn ON/OFF the circuit. In this case the remote ON/OFF seems to be of no interest so it is simply a matter of the current load. What is the current draw of the accessory lights?  If it is under 10 amps (120 watts) a simple toggle switch would do nicely. A wire from the battery to a fuse to a switch to the lights and a ground wire - done.  Personally I'd wire the control circuit for the relay thru the key switch as seems to be the recommendation which gives some purpose to the relay.

So, the 12v relay which I circled in the picture is what would be wired to the orange wire coming out of the back of the key switch?

5D4C6D34-71A4-40C4-8E35-5B7D787B6058.jpeg

Yes.  Refer to Erik's diagram.  Relay terminal 86 connected directly to a Suzuki orange wire will activate the relay when the key is ON and will deactivate when the key is OFF.  If you want individual control of the relay, wire per Erik's diagram - Orange wire to a switch to relay terminal 86. With the key ON you have the choice to activate the relay or not activate the relay, but key OFF the relay and whatever is connected to it is always OFF.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noble said:

Yes.  Refer to Erik's diagram.  Relay terminal 86 connected directly to a Suzuki orange wire will activate the relay when the key is ON and will deactivate when the key is OFF.  If you want individual control of the relay, wire per Erik's diagram - Orange wire to a switch to relay terminal 86. With the key ON you have the choice to activate the relay or not activate the relay, but key OFF the relay and whatever is connected to it is always OFF.

It appears the wire harness I bought has a switch built right in. Would this all work correctly as bought?