dr100

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a dr100? Currently have my drz motor down for a rebuild and have a spare dr100 motor I bought a while back. It came with all the wiring but it was a rat nest to say the least.

You can build a really nice 6 speed 125cc engine from it.  Small combustion chamber and ports, works great on 125, but you need to cut deeper valve pockets in 125 piston. That's what I'm running in this video:

If you're looking to use the 100 motor in your 125 while it's apart, you can swap the flywheel and stator from the 125 onto the 100 motor. Should be plug-and-play from there.

It was my first few laps at that track, and it blew up at the end, but that happens to 35 year old valves turning 12k rpms....

Edited by mjg15

On 5/29/2018 at 10:42 PM, mjg15 said:

You can build a really nice 6 speed 125cc engine from it.  Small combustion chamber and ports, works great on 125, but you need to cut deeper valve pockets in 125 piston. That's what I'm running in this video:

If you're looking to use the 100 motor in your 125 while it's apart, you can swap the flywheel and stator from the 125 onto the 100 motor. Should be plug-and-play from there.

It was my first few laps at that track, and it blew up at the end, but that happens to 35 year old valves turning 12k rpms....

That may be the easiest thing to do it seems like. Never pulled off the flywheel and stator on drz/dr is it hard to do? 

That track looks like a blast!! What kind of class/series is that?

Flywheel needs specific puller, but they are cheap and easy to find.  The stator is held on by three phillips screws IIRC. Heating the flywheel a bit helps it come off easy, but isn't really necessary.

That race was part of the SupermotoUSA series.  It was an all dirt TT at Thunderhill Raceway in NorCal. I also ran my big motor DRz125 in the 230 class.  I think it was a one-off race on that track.  Hopefully they have more.

I just got custom pistons made for running the 100 head with a +1mm 125 piston. We have a series with a 128cc class, and that combo works great.  Fortunately, the motor that popped in the video was just a test build with stock 125 piston, and not one of my new ones.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 1:25 AM, mjg15 said:

Flywheel needs specific puller, but they are cheap and easy to find.  The stator is held on by three phillips screws IIRC. Heating the flywheel a bit helps it come off easy, but isn't really necessary.

That race was part of the SupermotoUSA series.  It was an all dirt TT at Thunderhill Raceway in NorCal. I also ran my big motor DRz125 in the 230 class.  I think it was a one-off race on that track.  Hopefully they have more.

I just got custom pistons made for running the 100 head with a +1mm 125 piston. We have a series with a 128cc class, and that combo works great.  Fortunately, the motor that popped in the video was just a test build with stock 125 piston, and not one of my new ones.

I gave up "moto-vation" on the dr100 just because I'm spending a lot of time with the kx100 rear end conversion. Where did you get the pistons made?

I got them done thru JE.   Got 3 sets of four, for various configurations I'm messing with.  What are you doing with the KX100 stuff?  I have a KX shock in one of my bikes, and another shock and swingarm sitting in the corner. I was thinking of putting it on a drz125 chassis, with Estart 200 engine.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:45 PM, mjg15 said:

I got them done thru JE.   Got 3 sets of four, for various configurations I'm messing with.  What are you doing with the KX100 stuff?  I have a KX shock in one of my bikes, and another shock and swingarm sitting in the corner. I was thinking of putting it on a drz125 chassis, with Estart 200 engine.

Were they pricey? I did the complete rear end conversion (wheel, shock, swingarm, brakes etc). Everything was fairly straight forward but unlike some of the others I've seen I decided to put aluminum bushings between the motor and the drz frame, I didn't want to have that much open space with no support. The bushings were something around 22mm inside diameter, but don't quote me on that, so I had to use scrap aluminum bushings my father and I had left over from tt500 flat track wheel spacers. I need to make some dog bones to lower the rear end of the bike. Hopefully we will put the motor together and in this week/weekend and we will get started on making a low pipe. The high pipe we made won't work because it gets in the way of the master cylinder.  

All of this kx100 stuff I had laying around in the shop. I thought about doing the conversion about a year ago and found a kx100 with no motor or body work for 175$ or 200$ I can't remember the exact number. I started this conversion because I traded a set of subwoofers I had laying around for an absolutely roached drz 125 which I gave to my father so we could both have mad dog flat track bikes. It didn't have the correct rear wheel so between us we only had one good drz125 wheel so that really promoted the neccessity for the kx100 conversion. Here's what we started with and here's what my dad has done so far. We sourced a lot of cr85 and kx100 parts from my parts bin to save us some money. He used kx100 forks with a cr85 front wheel and drz 125 brakes and used a cr85 shock.

My bike is the one with the headlight. Dad's is the black front fender one. The green/back/yellow/white bike is dad's the day I traded the speakers for the bike.

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5909.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG

The pistons end up being about $200 ea, IIRC, but they take quite a while (much longer than quoted).

The KX parts look good on there, should be a cool bike when you get it all finished!  I'll have to take a closer look at using the stuff that I have. Do you have a local track that runs the mad dog class? We have Lodi near here, they have some good TT races (one last Sat that I didn't get ready for in time).  No mad dog, but they have a 150f and 230f class, so close enough.

Next up is putting something together for a 24hr roadrace Labor Day weekend.

I have a few Drz's:

Yellow in front is a 190 (stock carb) with a Works shock, runs great, but I have no idea what's actually inside because I bought it as built.

Yellow 48 has a 265cc DR200, RM forks, KX shock, and 17's.  I've since swapped in a 224cc engine with a PWK28

Other yellow one is actually still a stock engine 125 with BBR springs, top clamp, and Supertrapp

Blue bike has a stock DR200 motor, stock 125 carb/airbox/pipe.  Quiet, torquey play bike.

IMG_20171111_160711237.jpg

Edited by mjg15
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 11:54 PM, mjg15 said:

The pistons end up being about $200 ea, IIRC, but they take quite a while (much longer than quoted).

The KX parts look good on there, should be a cool bike when you get it all finished!  I'll have to take a closer look at using the stuff that I have. Do you have a local track that runs the mad dog class? We have Lodi near here, they have some good TT races (one last Sat that I didn't get ready for in time).  No mad dog, but they have a 150f and 230f class, so close enough.

Next up is putting something together for a 24hr roadrace Labor Day weekend.

I have a few Drz's:

Yellow in front is a 190 (stock carb) with a Works shock, runs great, but I have no idea what's actually inside because I bought it as built.

Yellow 48 has a 265cc DR200, RM forks, KX shock, and 17's.  I've since swapped in a 224cc engine with a PWK28

Other yellow one is actually still a stock engine 125 with BBR springs, top clamp, and Supertrapp

Blue bike has a stock DR200 motor, stock 125 carb/airbox/pipe.  Quiet, torquey play bike.

IMG_20171111_160711237.jpg

Yeah the place a run in georgia at Aonia Pass has some modified mad dog classes but not a real series. 

You have an amazing collection of Drz's, I am truly envious! How does your bike with 17's do in the 150f and 230 classes? I've been looking for a while for a dr200 motor to swap in my bike but I've had absolutely no luck finding any locally.

I've raced the Drz with 17's twice, both at TT's.  Works well.  I just got a top triple clamp that moves the bars forward almost 2", so that will make it better.  I'm planning to put an E-start bottom end in it, and when I do, I can move the pegs down and back a bit.

The 200 motor really makes a nice bike out of the 125, Suzuki should just make them that way.  If you find a kickstart 200, it's an easy swap.  Bolts right in, and 125 electrics will fit on motor.  The motor is about 12mm taller (all in the cylinder), so head stay triangles wont fit, carb area is a little tight (VM or oem are OK), and pipe bolt near swingarm pivot wont line up.

You really have to watch Ebay to grab one.  I recently got an SP200 from an ebay seller, so they're out there.

If you get an E-start 200, you'll have to rework the lugs for the 2 front engine mount bolts on the frame downtube, but the rear mounts are fine. These are always a lot of money though, it seems, and a lot of sellers strip starters and stators before the sell them.

IMG_20180715_091514148.jpg

Edited by mjg15

Because the thread title is DR100, I'll put a picture of one of those in here too.  I bought this almost 10 years ago.  It probably had 1 tank of gas run through it ever. I use it as a pit bike.

IMG_20180718_103437718.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I've raced the Drz with 17's twice, both at TT's.  Works well.  I just got a top triple clamp that moves the bars forward almost 2", so that will make it better.  I'm planning to put an E-start bottom end in it, and when I do, I can move the pegs down and back a bit.
The 200 motor really makes a nice bike out of the 125, Suzuki should just make them that way.  If you find a kickstart 200, it's an easy swap.  Bolts right in, and 125 electrics will fit on motor.  The motor is about 12mm taller (all in the cylinder), so head stay triangles wont fit, carb area is a little tight (VM or oem are OK), and pipe bolt near swingarm pivot wont line up.
You really have to watch Ebay to grab one.  I recently got an SP200 from an ebay seller, so they're out there.
If you get an E-start 200, you'll have to rework the lugs for the 2 front engine mount bolts on the frame downtube, but the rear mounts are fine. These are always a lot of money though, it seems, and a lot of sellers strip starters and stators before the sell them.
IMG_20180715_091514148.jpg.eddd5105f89bd169f9149136f14e5435.jpg

I will have to start looking on eBay more! I think I’ll stay away from the e start ones.

I like that top triple!

4 hours ago, dsilver1007 said:

I have to start looking on ebay LESS!  Triple came from ebay seller too.   Keep your eye on local Craigslist for complete Dr200 or SP200.  That may be easier than finding a complete engine on ebay.  They are pretty rare (as they are all 30 years old), but they do pop up. Keep your eyes open for a complete bottom end too, with that you can easily put something together.  Cylinders are easy, and you can use several different heads.

I will have to start looking on eBay more! I think I’ll stay away from the e start ones.

I like that top triple!