Sign in to follow this  

Which used desert bike for a 6'5" 300lb guy, WR450F/XR650LorR/CR450X?

Hi, I'm late 30's dad whos looking to get back to desert riding with my young kids and I haven't had my own bike or barely ridden in 15 years. As title says I'm a big guy(6'5" lil outta shape but working my way down in lbs)  and I want a fun reliable bike I can throw into my truck and ride around the S.California deserts (El Mirage, Ocotillo, etc.) I have zero interest in street riding so I hadn't even looked at the XR650's and have been focusing my search on WR450's & CRF450X's only but after watching a video or 2 about the XR and seeing only a few but better priced options then the other 2 choices I'm wondering if the XR isn't exactly what I want. I've read some riders don't like how tall it is and heavy, and it isn't the poppiest motor for a 650, but since I'm so tall n heavy and just looking to have reasonable desert fun what are your thoughts? Also read alil about people removing and minorish mods done to the XR to make it lighter and uncork it more. Anyone have experience stripping away street stuff and only leaving it Ca. desert legal? Thanx in advance for your opinions, I'm looking to spend @ $1500-4000 on the bike I chose, hoping to keep it as cheap as reliable /fun allows 

Edited by James Snodgrass

Hi, I'm late 30's dad whos looking to get back to desert riding with my young kids and I haven't had my own bike or barely ridden in 15 years. As title says I'm a big guy(6'5" lil outta shape but working my way down in lbs)  and I want a fun reliable bike I can throw into my truck and ride around the S.California deserts (El Mirage, Ocotillo, etc.) I have zero interest in street riding so I hadn't even looked at the XR650's and have been focusing my search on WR450's & CRF450X's only but after watching a video or 2 about the XR and seeing only a few but better priced options then the other 2 choices I'm wondering if the XR isn't exactly what I want. I've read some riders don't like how tall it is and heavy, and it isn't the poppiest motor for a 650, but since I'm so tall n heavy and just looking to have reasonable desert fun what are your thoughts? Also read alil about people removing and minorish mods done to the XR to make it lighter and uncork it more. Anyone have experience stripping away street stuff and only leaving it Ca. desert legal? Thanx in advance for your opinions, I'm looking to spend @ $1500-4000 on the bike I chose, hoping to keep it as cheap as reliable /fun allows 

If you're going to throw in the truck and don't need it to be street legal. I would get the xr650r not the xr650l, its already 30 or 40 pounds lighter than the xr650l. Its still the king of the desert in my book, but I am a xr guy lol.

Thanx Dlock for response. If I'm not mistaken the main difference in the R & L BRP is mostly the elctric start which is also the main weight increase? I like the idea of an electric start but not married to it, only other main reason I've been looking at the L is because I've yet to find any used 650R's. Which ever I get if I do a BRP I'm going to look into what all can be stripped off to make it just offroad. Even though you don't get alot more speed on the BRP's then the newer 450's I think the extra low torque may be best for a big rider.

Thanx Dlock for response. If I'm not mistaken the main difference in the R & L BRP is mostly the elctric start which is also the main weight increase? I like the idea of an electric start but not married to it, only other main reason I've been looking at the L is because I've yet to find any used 650R's. Which ever I get if I do a BRP I'm going to look into what all can be stripped off to make it just offroad. Even though you don't get alot more speed on the BRP's then the newer 450's I think the extra low torque may be best for a big rider.
I think uncorked the xr650r is high 50's low 60'hp. The 650l will be high 40's power wise its not even remotely close. If your willing to drive they're several un Nocal and northern Nevada. The xr650r is a different animal all together, its worth a drive in my book.
  • Like 1