IS THIS THE BEST BATTERY FOR MY 500

Hello everybody, How you all doing tonight...

My battery fried, and it now sits somewhere around 2.4 volts after charging to full and then attempting to turn over my bike. I said attemempts, but no luck... And the kickers a drag... So no luck there either These past few hours Ive spent searching the interweb, & been researching a bit and found out about this battery for my bike. So Im wondering, Will this be the correct battery for my bike? Is it strong enough? and Is there any thing better???

http://www.motosupply.com/service-items-shorai-lfx07l2-bs12-lithium-iron-powersports-battery-p-44.html 

I also spoke with matt over at motobatt and told him about my battery, and asked about warranty info. He's a really great dude, and he said that he's also thinking about getting a beta 300, So he's like one of us except that he's really into jiujitsu and would probly choke us all out. [emoji106] And so anyways, Im thinking about buying another one from him, but the idea of a LiPo is also very intriguing. He told me that he'd give me 30% off the stock MBTZ7S battery which will come out to about 51 dollars and he said hed also throw in a pigtail to use with my battery tender. He also recomended me to NOT use a lipo as Im probly the kind of guy that would kill a Lithium battery before its time, and be bumming it. I Guess because I killed the stock agm battery so fast. But seriously, I really do not know about these kinds of things so thats why I'm here asking for some advice. It sounds like a good deal, and I might take him up on it. 

But still the thought of a lightweight lithium battery intrigues me.

What are yous guyses thoughts???

Experiences???

Oh yeah, this is my baby,,,

IMG_0795.JPG

• Like 2

It seems ok, Shorai seems legit and It's the right chemistry.

I assume it has a BMS, or Battery Management System, but it doesn't specifically say that. I have been doing battery research, my kid has an electric bike and I upgraded to liFePo. The BMS is the key, as the circuitry governs the charging of the battery. Most BMS have a requirement that they not be charged at over 15 volts (sulphation mode?).

Prismatic vs cylindrical is described here https://relionbattery.com/blog/lithium-ion-cylindrical-cells-vs-prismatic-cells . For powersports batteries I don't think the type is as important as the manufacturing and design of the overall system.

• Like 1

Last I knew EarthX was the only one with a the BMS stuff on board to protect the battery from overcharging or overdrawing the battery. Had mine in my 15 500RS switched it over to the 17 300RR and still using it. I never put it on a charger, don't take it out for the winter, don't look at it except to verify mounting, cables and everything look good.

• Like 1

I don’t know. I just went back to traditional batteries. I sure blew alot of money over the years on a bunch of different expensive  lithium batteries . Turntech snd shorai and a bunch more brands.. I just bought an interstate battery for around $50 for my 300 rr and about $80 for my 350 rr. I spent close to $200 on some lithium. I thought they were good but they haven’t lasted that long... especially for how much spent!!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, BENriding said:

Last I knew Earth-X was the only one with a the BMS stuff on board to protect the battery from overcharging or overdrawing the battery. Had mine in my 15 500RS switched it over to the 17 300RR and still using it. I never put it on a charger, don't take it out for the winter, don't look at it except to verify mounting, cables and everything look good.

Didn’t try an earthx. Are those expensive too? I tried most other brands but not earthx

10 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Didn’t try an earthx. Are those expensive too? I tried most other brands but not earthx

Yes they are quite proud of them, but considering the on board battery management, and being in the price range of the Shori I gave EarthX a try. I had a Shori on my Buell a while back, worked ok then after a bit it didn't. I'm sure they have improved since then as it was 6-8 years ago. Still I am happy with the Earth-X. Seems solidly built and have been able to largely just use it and not think about it.

Edited by BENriding
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BENriding said:

Yes they are quite proud of them, but considering the on board battery management, and being in the price range of the Shori I gave EarthX a try. I had a Shori on my Buell a while back, worked ok then after a bit it didn't. I'm sure they have improved since then as it was 6-8 years ago. Still I am happy with the Earth-X. Seems solidly built and have been able to largely just use it and not think about it.

How long on the earthx so far?

10 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

Hello everybody, How you all doing tonight...

My battery fried, and it now sits somewhere around 2.4 volts after charging to full and then attempting to turn over my bike. I said attemempts, but no luck... And the kickers a drag... So no luck there either These past few hours Ive spent searching the interweb, & been researching a bit and found out about this battery for my bike. So Im wondering, Will this be the correct battery for my bike? Is it strong enough? and Is there any thing better???

http://www.motosupply.com/service-items-shorai-lfx07l2-bs12-lithium-iron-powersports-battery-p-44.html 

I also spoke with matt over at motobatt and told him about my battery, and asked about warranty info. He's a really great dude, and he said that he's also thinking about getting a beta 300, So he's like one of us except that he's really into jiujitsu and would probly choke us all out.  And so anyways, Im thinking about buying another one from him, but the idea of a LiPo is also very intriguing. He told me that he'd give me 30% off the stock MBTZ7S battery which will come out to about 51 dollars and he said hed also throw in a pigtail to use with my battery tender. He also recomended me to NOT use a lipo as Im probly the kind of guy that would kill a Lithium battery before its time, and be bumming it. I Guess because I killed the stock agm battery so fast. But seriously, I really do not know about these kinds of things so thats why I'm here asking for some advice. It sounds like a good deal, and I might take him up on it. 

But still the thought of a lightweight lithium battery intrigues me.

What are yous guyses thoughts???

Experiences???

Oh yeah, this is my baby,,,

No that's their low powered one. Need at least 210CCA equivalent (LFX14L2-BS12) for any longevity. Great customer service, the best out there.

• Like 2

My EarthX failed last weekend after 3 years.  Would not take charge and held at 10V.  Before that it was fine.  I expected better life for the $$.  Might as well go cheap if they all last only 2-3 years. 

Also brings up the point of the kickstarter being deleted as a bad idea again.  I could ride because I HAD ONE. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GP said:

My EarthX failed last weekend after 3 years.  Would not take charge and held at 10V.  Before that it was fine.  I expected better life for the $$.  Might as well go cheap if they all last only 2-3 years. 

Also brings up the point of the kickstarter being deleted as a bad idea again.  I could ride because I HAD ONE. 

You could ride because you had a carb and one which is slowly becoming extinct. Face it GP, you're a dinosaur!

Edited by weantright

Just now, weantright said:

You could ride because you had a carb and one which is slowly becoming extinct.

By the time I'm forced to ride a TPI bike I'll be done and will be racing pistols instead.   I have no interest in TPI or a an EFI 4stroke for what I ride in. 

• Like 4

By the time I'm forced to ride a TPI bike I'll be done and will be racing pistols instead.   I have no interest in TPI or a an EFI 4stroke for what I ride in. 
Will all be riding electric before then if the Battery Technology keeps improving and KTM keeps upping their E-free ride every two years. Where you going to put your Kickstart on an electric bike?

1 minute ago, bikesandcars said:

Will all be riding electric before then if the Battery Technology keeps improving and KTM keeps upping their E-free ride every two years. Where you going to put your Kickstart on an electric bike?

Battery tech as far an energy density / weight /cost has a ways to go yet.  The concept of swappable packs has to be explored as well to make it viable for more forms of racing and riding.  Not quite there yet.  I did see a street legal Alta Supermoto the other day that would make a pretty cool commuter, but many good options for the current price.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Anti Gravity

Shorai's only last about 2 years, then you replace them with a prorated replacemet for $60 shipped.

Been through (4) of them before switching brands.

My experience is just the opposite. Went through 3 antigravity's and a Turntec. Now I have Shorai's in all 3 of my bikes and they've been holding up. (probably just jinxed myself)

I actually had pretty good luck with the RMMC Tusk brand battery that I got for free using points. I only switched to the Shorai so I can use the Shorai charger on all of my bikes

• Like 2

I like the Antigravity battery, both b/c of the warranty and its Restart button. If you end up in an overdraw situation (the death of LI batteries), the battery will protect itself. Push the button and it will give you a half a dozen starts from reserve. With no backup kicker, this is a nice peace of mind. On the next version, the restart circuit can be tripped w/ a small remote. At least for me, seat removal is toolless.

20180315_153303[1].jpg20180315_160741[1].jpg

@Antigravity Batteries

• Like 3