Jump to content

indiana Can you plate a dirtbike in Indiana any more?

Recommended Posts

I'm hearing a lot of different things and I did download the vehicle change form from the BMV and it clearly (now) says that you can't change an OR (Off Road) title to a regular road title and plate the bike like you always used to be able to do.  My son has a ttr230 that we'd like to make streetable, but not sure if its do-able any more.  ???????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try. Best bet is at a small town branch. Do you have an mso? If so then probably not. You can title it in another state, wait a year then change it to an Indiana title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have an Oregon title then you won't have any problem applying for an Indiana title. They go by the 17 digit vin. So when I titled my CRF250X it wasn't showing in they're database as a on road model. So she called over her supervisor and simply did an override.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tbahr said:

If you have an Oregon title then you won't have any problem applying for an Indiana title. They go by the 17 digit vin. So when I titled my CRF250X it wasn't showing in they're database as a on road model. So she called over her supervisor and simply did an override.

read the first post:  OR = OFF ROAD, not Oregon..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MindBlower said:

Thanks read the first post:  OR = OFF ROAD, not Oregon..........

I’ve never seen an or title for Indiana, they don’t have them. There is an MSO, which is a Manufacturers statement of origin. Not a title. It will say for off-road use only. You can register it with the state and be able to ride on County roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well for F's sake. Do you know how disappointing it is to see you have replies to a specific question post only to see that they are irrelevant?    :(

 

Does anyone have any REAL INFORMATION about this? 

 

(Yes OR titles are real, the law has changed and so has the bmv........)

 

 

Edited by MindBlower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MindBlower said:

 

Well for F's sake. Do you know how disappointing it is to see you have replies to a specific question post only to see that they are irrelevant?    :(

 

It would seem that if you know the answer you wouldn't be asking for help! I have my off-road motorcycle titled and plated in Indiana! Maybe you should take this question to another forum, the members on this forum take the information given and formulate an answer based on experience on the subject. Perhaps this information is irrelevant as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tbahr said:

It would seem that if you know the answer you wouldn't be asking for help! I have my off-road motorcycle titled and plated in Indiana! Maybe you should take this question to another forum, the members on this forum take the information given and formulate an answer based on experience on the subject. Perhaps this information is irrelevant as well.

 Yes it is.   Quit hijacking the thread with stupid answers when you don't know anything.  

IF you've plated your dirt bike in Indiana SINCE 2017, you DO know the answer. So you're just being a dick.

OR you plated your bike before the laws changed last year and you don't having a f'ing clue what you're talking about.

So which is it?????

 

Edited by MindBlower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my recent experience, (2017 Yamaha WR250F with Off-road title) it was a no go. You used to to able to do a change of body form if you added the necessary equipment but not any more. I think it is more emissions driven than anything else. Once it says OR on title you are screwed. You can do the whole Soth Dakota thing but thats a different ballgame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased a 2014 KTM 250 XCF-W from someone in Iowa. It did have a title, but it said Off-Road Use Only on it. I live in Nebraska. Nebraska will not allow you to register a vehicle that is designated as Off-Road Only. Pennington County in SD will let you title a vehicle from out of state. So I sent them my title, bill of sale, copy of license, and an affidavit stating that I had equipment like mirrors DOT tires etc. A week and $250 later I had a license plate and registration. Just waiting on the actual title to show up.

Yeah it was an expensive pain in the ass but worth it in my opinion.

If you don’t understand the laws on the Indiana DMV site, I would call a sheriffs department in your state and ask them about it since they inspect your bike or call the DMV and ask them about it.

Or just do what I did with South Dakota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2018 at 9:06 AM, NPWR250 said:

In my recent experience, (2017 Yamaha WR250F with Off-road title) it was a no go. You used to to able to do a change of body form if you added the necessary equipment but not any more. I think it is more emissions driven than anything else. Once it says OR on title you are screwed. You can do the whole Soth Dakota thing but thats a different ballgame.

Yeh, I downloaded the change of body form to do just that. That's when I discovered the new sentence  "this form can't be used to change an OR title to a street title" (in effect)

The states are using the fact that the carburetors on these bikes were never ok'd by the EPA to deny the street use.

EDIT:  hmmm, since all the bike makers share a relatively small number of carburetor models, isn't it likely that the kehin XX or whatever used on your dirt bike was also used on a street bike of that time?  Seems like that could be a factor if you could prove that.  

 

Edited by MindBlower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 11:57 PM, Shoni said:

I purchased a 2014 KTM 250 XCF-W from someone in Iowa. It did have a title, but it said Off-Road Use Only on it. I live in Nebraska. Nebraska will not allow you to register a vehicle that is designated as Off-Road Only. Pennington County in SD will let you title a vehicle from out of state. So I sent them my title, bill of sale, copy of license, and an affidavit stating that I had equipment like mirrors DOT tires etc. A week and $250 later I had a license plate and registration. Just waiting on the actual title to show up.

Yeah it was an expensive pain in the ass but worth it in my opinion.

If you don’t understand the laws on the Indiana DMV site, I would call a sheriffs department in your state and ask them about it since they inspect your bike or call the DMV and ask them about it.

Or just do what I did with South Dakota.

How did you hear about that?  That's crazy.  So you can get a SD title and plate without living there?  Why would they do that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How did you hear about that?  That's crazy.  So you can get a SD title and plate without living there?  Why would they do that? 



I don’t remember how I heard about it. Not all SD counties will allow it. I called Pennington County and they do. I don’t know why they do it. Maybe for the tax money? They also have really lax off road laws. The Black Hills are one of my favorite places to ride. I’ll DM you a picture of my plate and registration.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Shoni said:

 

 


I don’t remember how I heard about it. Not all SD counties will allow it. I called Pennington County and they do. I don’t know why they do it. Maybe for the tax money? They also have really lax off road laws. The Black Hills are one of my favorite places to ride. I’ll DM you a picture of my plate and registration.

 

 

I'd presume the $$ for sure.  So did you bs in any way or you can say "I can't plate this in Indiana, can I pay you guys for that"?  In effect, I'd try to be discreet. 

Can you then transfer that title to your state?  

It'll cost me a lot more at least $1K to sell the ttr and replace it with a plated crf or equivalent and I already have the parts to dual sport it, so I greatly appreciate the info!

Edited by MindBlower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd presume the $$ for sure.  So did you bs in any way or you can say "I can't plate this in Indiana, can I pay you guys for that"?  In effect, I'd try to be discreet. 
Can you then transfer that title to your state?  


I didn’t say why I wanted it plated in SD and I didn’t ask. Honestly you don’t even need to call them. Send them a cover letter. I included my name, VIN, and email. Send them the title form, your current title, a copy of your drivers license, bill of sale, and the off-road affidavit. You can find their forms on their website. Once they had all of that info, they sent me an email asking me to call them. I did and they gave me the price and I gave them a card number. After that, I got the plate and registration in a week via mail. They said that I would have the new title in 1-2 months.

Since I haven’t gotten the new title yet, I haven’t it tried to title it in Nebraska which has way more stringent laws regarding off road vehicles. I don’t know if I will since it already has the SD plate. If I get pulled over after 30 days of the SD registration I’ll probably get a citation for not having a NE title. If I do work on getting the NE title I’ll probably try to do it in a different county where I own some recreational property before I do it in my home county, so if that doesn’t work out the sheriff here will be none the wiser. I live in a pretty rural area. My town is the only one with a PD in the county. You can register golf carts and ride them around town and people ride around on their ATVs all the time. I think I’ll be alright, but where you live has different circumstances.

My father lives elsewhere but he recently bought a 2005 KTM 450 EXC-R that had a clean Kansas title. He called the sheriff and told him that he just wanted it plated to bypass roads in different states (we don’t have much of a trail system here...) and ride county roads. The sheriff said he would pass it as long as he had a working brake light, turn signals, and DOT tires - even though the DMV states it needs a horn and mirrors.

In short, I haven’t gotten the title yet so I don’t know if it has an off-road designation or not. If it doesn’t, I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to get it tiled in your home state. However, it’s up to the sheriff when they do the inspection (at least here). I can let you know when I get it.

What I would do if I were you, is call whoever inspects the vehicle (likely the sheriff) and tell them you have a clean out of state title on a dirt bike it doesn’t have turn signals or anything currently - but need to know what you need to add for it to pass inspection. If they say “We won’t pass it regardless of what you add” then you have your answer. If they say add turn signals, etc then you should be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a 250fx titled as a streetbike in Indiana. I didn't do it, the guy I bought it from did, he rode dualsport(also used to post in here so maybe he will see this) When I went to transfer the title to me I kept it listed as street because he made it sound like it was big deal and would be worth it to the right person selling it down the road.

So from my knowledge it should be possible but not easy. Not sure if this was all done before after the recent edit to the form you speak of either. Sorry can't be of any actual real help in the process though. 

Edited by ericz103

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×