Jackass on a Sherco

I rode with my wife on the poker tun on Saturday. She is 54 and hasn’t rode in a few years, needless to say we did set any speed records and I knew she would be one the slower riders out there.

I knew we were going to get passed a lot and my wife knows if someone comes up from behind and revs the throttle that she needs to pull over ASAP and signal which way she is going to pull over. I rode behind her most of the time and would be the one revving the throttle behind her to get her to pull over when a faster rider came up from behind. I know it can be frustrating when your in the groove and come up on a slower rider that willl not pull over at a safe spot.

Everyone one who passed us and was very courteous.  We never had any riders or  poker racers that were impatient or got impatient and tried to pass her or “park” her in a corner. 

I have ridden the poker run at Odessa several times and it is interesting how impatient and aggressive some riders are with slower riders especially when there is almost always an alternative line to pass without even getting close to the slower rider.

• Like 3

Heavy Rotation, you serious about never having done a poker run? I’ve actually really enjoyed all of them I’ve been to and I can be kinda picky. 
Been to a wet duck, flying duck, dust dodger, d100.  
Yup, several races, couple ds events and one Russ Ride but no poker runs. I need to get my scheduling shit together. You guys in Warshigton have way more events closer to home. I'd love to do the coyote offroad DS event this weekend near Wenatchee, looks rad, but 6.5 hour drive. We need a thread in NW regional to collate all the events.
  • Like 4

I thought poker runs were what you got from too much beer and jalepeno dip on hold 'em nights.

• Like 4

A little late to the party here, but the one time I did this poker run a few years ago, had a great time. I'm usually the slow poke so I have a lot of practice making room and generally trying to stay out of the way. I have no issue with faster folks rev'ing, yelling, passing me with limited space if I'm in a death march near coma and don't realize some 8 yr old is behind me and has been for some time. Its all good, from experience I know the fast guys that signal me to pass would be the first ones to stop to help me out if I'm lost, off the trail, broke down, whatever.

I do recall a hell of a back up at one of the peninsula poker runs, a guy on a quad was hung up and was holding up at least 10 people on the trail when I rode up. I couldn't see what the hold up was, just a cluster f of quads and people standing around. Within a few minutes the backup grew to 20 peeps or more, but everyone just sat there. 

Finally I got frustrated and busted through the brush to get by, wondering why the peeps up front had not done the same. When I got up to the stuck quad group, they were sitting in the middle of the trail doing I don't know what. Made no attempt what so ever to move that piece of crap off the trail. Had me shaking my head about how some can be so clueless.

A bunch of riders jumped in behind me and we went on our merry way (looking for little kids to stuff in the corners), had a great time.

• Like 4

I remember one time doing a morning lap at of one of the Eddieville 24 hr races. I had no business being in the race, but the majority of the course has lots of room for the go fast guys to get around rolling roadblocks like me, so it worked out. Anyway, I'm rolling along this big wide open field, lots of room, lots of lines. I'm minding my own business, really trying to haul the mail on this open section, and this go fast guy comes blitzing along, I can hear him on his big ol' four stroke coming up on me and I make a mental note to hold my line and not get in his way. I was probably thinking what a great guy I am or something.

As he's railing by me like I'm standing still, maybe 30 yards or so off to the left, he's completely blowing my mind at how fast he's going. I'm like WTF?! How can I be so slow? Look at that guy. Just then I hear him yell something, really loud. Then he was gone.

I was thinking, did he just yell at me? To get out of his way?! Really? What the hell, what a dick I thought. Then I thought, no, no one would do that. But he did do it. Kinda bugged me for a minute or two, then I forgot about it and got back to concentrating on puttering along.

I finally make it back to the pits and am relaxing when a friend stops by. He's one of those go fast dudes, real nice guy. He says, hey man, I saw you out there, yelled "Go Ed!" (or something encouraging like that) when I went by, did you hear me? I was like, "Wait, what?! That was you?!"

I told him what was going through my mind when he yelled, we both got a good laugh out of it. Also a little lesson on assumptions for me.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Woods_Rider said:

I told him what was going through my mind when he yelled, we both got a good laugh out of it. Also a little lesson on assumptions for me.

I typically urinate on people as I'm passing them.  I've never had an issue with it being misinterpreted.   

• Like 7

Anybody notice the OP jackass hasn't said a word since his thread backfired on him? 

People wanna complain about someone being a douchebag, but in the process, expose the fact that they themselves, are in fact, the bigger douchebag. 

People should look at the situation and think about what happened and why, before they open their mouths. 

Edited by Daniel627
Typo
  • Like 3

You guys need to ride in Canada where we don't have these passing issues.  In fact there is no passing.  Being such a polite nation does create it's own set of challenges.  Here when a faster rider catches a slower rider the slower guy immediately pulls over; however so does the faster rider who says "you go ahead".  The slower rider replies with "No, you go head".  There are a few back and forth's of "No you... no you" and you're in the middle of a Canadian stand off.  This is how all of the bottle necks in our rides are created.

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, jbreedon said:

You guys need to ride in Canada where we don't have these passing issues.  In fact there is no passing.  Being such a polite nation does create it's own set of challenges.  Here when a faster rider catches a slower rider the slower guy immediately pulls over; however so does the faster rider who says "you go ahead".  The slower rider replies with "No, you go head".  There are a few back and forth's of "No you... no you" and you're in the middle of a Canadian stand off.  This is how all of the bottle necks in our rides are created.

What's this guy talking aboot? Eh? 😁

We have plenty of polite people down here. Of course I'm in Oklahoma and not the northwest :p

• Like 4

On 5/30/2018 at 9:26 PM, Engstrom said:

Spending a lifetime running poker runs I can pretty much conclude they are the biggest waste of time unless your desperate to ride a new area. It brings out the wannabe racers douches wanting to win the poker race. 

If you feel the lifetime you spent doing poker runs was a big waste of time then why did you spend your lifetime doing poker runs?  

• Like 3

Anybody notice the OP jackass hasn't said a word since his thread backfired on him? 
People wanna complain about someone being a douchebag, but in the process, expose the fact that they themselves, are in fact, the bigger douchebag. 
People should look at the situation and think about what happened and why, before they open their mouths. 
Yup, i was wondering where he went. Goofy &%$#@!er.
  • Like 2

It happens here too, but there's a strong passive aggressive undercurrent.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, talkingrain said:

If you feel the lifetime you spent doing poker runs was a big waste of time then why did you spend your lifetime doing poker runs?  

Look up the definition of hindsight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbreedon said:

Well there you have it @Hans Schmid.  

Since you're Canadian, the above means I can block you all day long, and you'll be too polite to pass or punt me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Since you're Canadian, the above means I can block you all day long, and you'll be too polite to pass or punt me.

But since when in Rome you do like the Romans would, he can come down here and urinate on you during the pass. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Just now, redrider144 said:

Look up the definition of hindsight.

I know what hindsight means, and my point is that if poker runs were really so bad nobody would attend them.  I've run lots of them, some good, some bad; but riding is like pizza, I enjoy it no matter what.  Most of the time the enjoyment factor is based heavily on weather or the course conditions, not the type of people that show up.  It's a free country, and these are open events, if you are a person that's uptight, have problems getting along with others, or have issues having fun with large groups of people that enjoy off-roading, then maybe that person should skip large public events like these and just stay home; not continue to attend them over their entire lifetime, and then discourage others from attending them after the fact; that is not what hindsight means.  :lame:

7 minutes ago, talkingrain said:

I know what hindsight means, and my point is that if poker runs were really so bad nobody would attend them.  I've run lots of them, some good, some bad; but riding is like pizza, I enjoy it no matter what.  Most of the time the enjoyment factor is based heavily on weather or the course conditions, not the type of people that show up.  It's a free country, and these are open events, if you are a person that's uptight, have problems getting along with others, or have issues having fun with large groups of people that enjoy off-roading, then maybe that person should skip large public events like these and just stay home; not continue to attend them over their entire lifetime, and then discourage others from attending them after the fact; that is not what hindsight means.  :lame:

I support Engstrom's right to bitch about not liking poker runs - however - you're saying he shouldn't of opined on this topic. He may not have worded it correctly, but what he appears to have said is that he's attended several over the years and finally concluded that they aren't his cup of tea. You like; he don't like; works for me. :ride:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, talkingrain said:

Well I might have averaged one poker run every 2-5 years. I still do them only if its in a new area where I have never rode before. Plus I get to race against Sherco riders.

• Like 2

Everyone should realize these simple facts...

EVERY person, and EVERY personality is different. 

EVERY event that involves large groups of people, especially motorcycle events, is going to bring out a BIG variety of these personalities. 

You aren't going to agree with everyone on everything, not everyone is going to do things the same way you are.

All of these events ARE going to have the slow, the fast, the cautious, the nervous, the big mouth, the hot head, and definitely the show off. If you're going to attend such events, this is something you need to understand.

Everyone goes to an event to have a good time. Nobody leaves the house saying "I wanna have a bad time, I can't wait for someone to ruin my day". Your time out, your pleasure and displeasure are controlled by you and how you handle things. 

Not everyone is courteous, not everyone has the same manners. Not everyone is helpful, and not every person has the ability to help even if they are helpful. 

If someone gives support along the way, gives encouragement, or does something that just makes your day better, acknowledge their good deeds and pay it forward.

If someone does something to hurt your feelings, or piss you off, or bothers you in any way, try to shrug it off and continue having a good time. 

If the situation can't be resolved peacefully, there are ways to handle that too. It just might end with someone having a broken nose or black eye or something.

But, moral of the story, just go and try to have fun! Don't let something piddly ruin your day.

• Like 4