Swap 250fx gears into 250f?

The engine cases for the 14+ YZ250F are the same as the 15+ WR250F & YZ250FX, so yes you could install a FX/WR transmission into the 14+ YZ250FX.  It would cost some money and it's probably an all or nothing installation because the YZF is a five speed whereas the WR & FX are six speeds.  You will need all six gears, shifting forks, shifting drum, plus gaskets etc.   Looking at RMMC Yam OEM parts, you'd be looking at about $1300 for parts and about 10 hours of garage time.

IMO, the tranny would make a nice improvement for woods work.  The WR/FX first gear is just that little bit lower than a YZF first, and sixth gear is nice for forest road riding.   But, for all the expense and work involved, I think the FX is a better idea b/c you get e-start, 18" rear wheel, camshafts which produce a bit more low end power, suspension better suited to off road, and ability to add lights fairly easily.

• Like 3

Was an easy swap in the old engine as the gearboxs were identical besides ratios, but as stated not worth the effort with new engine. 
So your saying if I got an older 250f it would be easier?

1 hour ago, North MN Dirtbiker said:

So your saying if I got an older 250f it would be easier?

On the 5 valve engines its a straight swap for the full gearbox or you can mix and match ratios but you will need to do your homework for that. 

On the 5 valve engines its a straight swap for the full gearbox or you can mix and match ratios but you will need to do your homework for that. 
What years have the 5 valve engines?

01 - 13

Someone did mention a differende in the gears in the 01-02 models. I have a swapped a number of gearboxes between 04 - 12 YZFs and WRFs without issue. 

I would use a 09 or older only because the 10 thru 13 have a slightly higher center of gravity and do not handle a larger tank well,  I believe second is the same in a YZ and a WR you would not have to buy second gear.