Kennedy Meadows June 23-24

2 hours ago, pessica said:

Interesting, we might be up there that weekend for my birthday. But we've never ridden there. Does anyone know where I could get a map of the trails? Does one even exist? I've been searching and searching... In the meantime I've just been watching a bunch of YouTube videos. Looks amazing. And looks like the trails are rated like LPNF. 

You can also get a trail map to carry in your backpack at the entrance of either of the campgrounds.  

32 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

You can also get a trail map to carry in your backpack at the entrance of either of the campgrounds.  

Good to know also. We wanted to brief ourselves on where certain trails are compared to the campgrounds before we got there. I'm a little OCD when it comes to planning...

6 minutes ago, pessica said:

Good to know also. We wanted to brief ourselves on where certain trails are compared to the campgrounds before we got there. I'm a little OCD when it comes to planning...

I think you’ll be fine. You can plan some loops. You can also go up jackass trail and back down it. There is a couple of trails with a little cliff type exposure in a couple of spots. On those you just get a little speed and don’t high side or stall. If your not plated don’t ride on the roads. There are trails out of the campgrounds. 

I’ll edit if you don’t like what you see up ahead on a trail turn around and hit a different trail. 

Edited by StevetheSnake

17 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

I think you’ll be fine. You can plan some loops. You can also go up jackass trail and back down it. There is a couple of trails with a little cliff type exposure in a couple of spots. On those you just get a little speed and don’t high side or stall. If your not plated don’t ride on the roads. There are trails out of the campgrounds. 

I’ll edit if you don’t like what you see up ahead on a trail turn around and hit a different trail. 

Ya we'll be good. The trails I've watched look somewhat similar to Tejon/Gold Hill/Whata etc. and going in knowing a Kennedy Meadows blue isn't a Hungry Valley blue helps. We learned that last year in LPNF ha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pessica said:

Ya we'll be good. The trails I've watched look somewhat similar to Tejon/Gold Hill/Whata etc. and going in knowing a Kennedy Meadows blue isn't a Hungry Valley blue helps. We learned that last year in LPNF ha.

None of the trails are appropriate for a beginner, but none of them are very difficult either. Somebody with beginning intermediate skills will have a great time. We used to stage at the Troy Meadows overflow campground across the highway from Troy Meadows Campground, but it's been closed for the past few years. The advantage of Troy Meadows campground is that you have three trailheads that start from it.

Just now, RedRattler said:

None of the trails are appropriate for a beginner, but none of them are very difficult either. Somebody with beginning intermediate skills will have a great time. We used to stage at the Troy Meadows overflow campground across the highway from Troy Meadows Campground, but it's been closed for the past few years. The advantage of Troy Meadows campground is that you have three trailheads that start from it.

Right everything I've seen seems to be based around Troy Meadows, so that is where we plan on going. Not even 100% sure we're going yet.

I'm not a beginner but some of those trails do look challenging! 

2 hours ago, pessica said:

Right everything I've seen seems to be based around Troy Meadows, so that is where we plan on going. Not even 100% sure we're going yet.

I'm not a beginner but some of those trails do look challenging! 

Depends on the bike sometimes. I’ve see girls do it on easier to ride low to the ground torquey bikes like the CRF230’s. Wolfs G.F. Kelly has done most of the stuff up there on her CRF. On the other end a racer two stroke mx type power band and tall seat might not get too far.  

Just now, StevetheSnake said:

Depends on the bike sometimes. I’ve see girls do it on easier to ride low to the ground torquey bikes like the CRF230’s. Wolfs G.F. Kelly has done most of the stuff up there on her CRF. On the other end a racer two stroke mx type power band and tall seat might not get too far.  

Hell, Wolf has dun most of the stuff up there on a 500.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

I'm on a 200 XC, suspension set up for my height and weight. :ride:

6 hours ago, pessica said:

You can stop at the Shell station in Pearsonville and pick up the trail map.  It's about 2 miles before the turn off to 9 Mile Canyon Rd if you are going by way of the 395.

Or order it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Kern-River-Sierra-Outdoor-Recreation/dp/0972336141/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528261130&sr=8-1&keywords=kern+river+sierra+map

Edited by KennyMc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

The set up 230’s are just extremely easy to ride where there is some tougher up hill rocky or slippery areas. The KTM will be better on the faster stuff. 

Never in a million years would I think my bike would be compared to a crf230.... But ya mine will be just fine and right at home in that environment. 

10 hours ago, KennyMc said:

You can stop at the Shell station in Pearsonville and pick up the trail map.  It's about 2 miles before the turn off to 9 Mile Canyon Rd if you are going by way of the 395.

Or order it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Kern-River-Sierra-Outdoor-Recreation/dp/0972336141/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528261130&sr=8-1&keywords=kern+river+sierra+map

Awesome thank you.

• Like 2