$26.95 piston and gasket eBay special.

I have a bike that on some piston sizes the Suzuki rings aren't available. Neither are ones from reputable well known manufacturers.

So the cheap oriental rings I have run in it just wear down really fast even though I use generous amounts of Motul 800 oil premix.

On a cylinder that is chromed (nikasil'd etc) they would last much longer though. Mine is iron sleeved.

So you could try it if you're low on bucks but expect needing a replacement much sooner than normal.

it would be interesting to measure one up and see how close tolerances are. if the dimensions are correct the piston it self would probably work ok. might not be as resistant to overheating or detonation as a good piston. if PTW and other dimensions are off then throw it away. that guy in the vid above was probably running 87 octane or something. but for a few more bucks you can buy a pro x or wiseco if you're making so much power you need a forged piston. ?

Edited by MCRIPPPer

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a cheap used Blaster with great compression that had a sad sounding engine. Sounded like main bearings gone, you know, that "RAWWW, RAWWW, RAWWW" sort of background noise. We built a bottom end and swapped it into the Blaster, with the intention of re-using the top end because it worked so well. 

Well, it had one of those cheap Chinese cylinder and piston kits on it. Be darned if it was the top end making the growling noise, not the crank. Piston clearances are fine, but the piston and cylinder are noisy. I'm running as my guest quad, mostly run by gentle riders. Piston looks weak compared to a Yamaha and they are not too strong either. I would not recommend one of these cheap kits.

Edited by sbest