Pour oil into flywheel hole SAME as filler hole on clutch cover?

I cannot see why there would be any problem adding oil through the flywheel hole provided that motor chamber is open to the rest of the engine case. The magneto area has oil jets in there to keep things cool, so I can't see why this would be a problem - bikes on its side anyway...

InRoost that’s the info I’m after. If the flywheel area drains to the main sump then its a very convenient place & time to fill the engine.  The bikes already laying on the ground, the flywheel hole is horizontal, much easier access than the filler on the clutch cover.  You can be pouring oil in, and alternately topping off the filter cavity as the filter soaks up more oil.

FUI a 14mm hex/allen to unscrew the cover.

The question: Is pouring oil into the flywheel hole THE SAME as pouring oil into the filler on the clutch cover?

I was thinking some member on this forum musta had one of these engines opened up .... and knows the answer (?). 

Edited by WA_trail_rider

I think you idea of filling the filter chamber AND motor while its on its side is efficient. As long as you fill the filter compartment (to prevent starving the motor from oil upon start-up) and the fly-wheel compartment quickly drains oil to the case compartment, I think its a viable oil filling routeen.
A quick 1-time inspection of the oil galleries under the flywheel cover is all the proof I would need to see if this is a clean oil filling routeen.

Personally, I don't get it!!

What could be easier than putting oil in the filler hole...you have to stand the bike upright anyway to ride it, and you have to check level thru the sight glass anyway, and what are you going to do when you have to add a little more oil...put it back on its side and pull the stator plug again!! I just don't see the upside of filling it from the stator plug.

There is absolutely no need to have the filter cavity filled with oil before firing it up.  All you need to do is carefully drizzle a little oil over the filter, install it, then stand the bike up and fill it.

I have a 350 XCF-W....done many an oil change...never have a problem.

Keep it simple!!

Edited by travertt

41 minutes ago, travertt said:

Personally, I don't get it!!

What could be easier than putting oil in the filler hole...you have to stand the bike upright anyway to ride it, and you have to check level thru the sight glass anyway, and what are you going to do when you have to add a little more oil...put it back on its side and pull the stator plug again!! I just don't see the upside of filling it from the stator plug.

There is absolutely no need to have the filter cavity filled with oil before firing it up.  All you need to do is carefully drizzle a little oil over the filter, install it, then stand the bike up and fill it.

Keep it simple!!

? ?

There should never be a need to 'add some more' if you minimally tracking what you put in during an oil change (hell, I measure what comes out too). I see adding oil to the filter and motor in one-shot while the bike is on its side as efficient. Also allows safety wiring all 3 oil dump plugs while the oil bottle drains.
Wish I could do it on my 500 (doesn't have a flywheel plug).
Go for it!

On 6/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, travertt said:

What could be easier than putting oil in the filler hole...

Answer:  Filling it thru the flywheel hole while the bike is on it's side is easier than using the clutch cover hole.  You pour one whole liter in.  If you have a gallon it's better to measure one liter first.

Then you stand it up, start the engine (knowing it got oil pressure faster by the pre-fill) n and check the sight glass.  And adjust the level by adding oil in the clutch cover filler.

ktm_pre-fill.jpg.747a752c9f7ccf0db5378cb29d317bb8.jpg

It's a good way and it's recommended in the owners manual.  If feeling anal you can really soak the filter, getting it almost full.

No worries on the flywheel plug, the threads are lubed, nice fat o-ring, and no need to overtighten

There is absolutely no need to have the filter cavity filled with oil before firing it up. All you need to do is carefully drizzle a little oil over the filter, install it, then stand the bike up and fill it.

I don't think you EVER will have a problem, and how could you ever know?  Probably just a tiny bit faster piston & cam wear, you'd never notice it.  If you get a new bike every few years, agreed it would be a total waste of your time, preserving it for the next owner.

Here's a pic showing the procedure from the owners manual (2017).

Edited by WA_trail_rider

What could be easier than putting oil in the filler hole...

Answer:  Filling it thru the flywheel hole while the bike is on it's side is easier than using the clutch cover hole.  You pour one whole liter in.  If you have a gallon it's better to measure one liter first.

Then you stand it up, start the engine (knowing it got oil pressure faster by the pre-fill) n and check the sight glass.  And adjust the level by adding oil in the clutch cover filler.

Yeah, I suppose.  I just never bothered to lay the bike on its side at all....mostly because the picture in my 2012 manual appears to show the bike as upright when puling the oil filter, and of course I never bothered to read the text that accompanied the picture.

I stand corrected...

...although I still believe that filling from the clutch cover plug would be more likely to prevent initial overfilling and the subsequent hassle of having to remove some oil.  I don't bother trying to get a precise measurement of what to put in because it just seems like more hassle than its worth.  I get real close on the sight glass on first fill and fire it up, let it settle and then add a little if it needs it.