Hammer solves ECX-F sidestand self-retract

Bike fell over in the garage due to the infuriating auto-retract feature on the kickstand (US spec EXC-f, Canada doesnt have this feature). I was just about to get on the net to find a proper kickstand bolt to eliminate this silliness; then had an idea.

A couple gentle taps with a hammer on the spring tab solves the kickstand problem completely.  The gooey stainless steel bends easily.  It only has to move about 10mm. 

77CC8F8A-A2B8-4AAC-B16B-80C680C3821E.thumb.jpeg.35fe0fb37b739bad494106925bb318a2.jpeg9B097351-8A75-4469-BD94-B4469D3700C3.thumb.jpeg.0a28b6b81fb4fe7494b60440f7037e49.jpeg

3063D6C7-678E-48D0-9A95-02E62EF12DCD.jpeg

7AC1CCC9-C0C8-4678-8A7A-3AC98C5ADEF5.jpeg

Edited by WA_trail_rider
Clarified images and wrote a better description. Sorry for the confusion!!!

Are you saying that that you hammered the bolt back straight, cause it was bent?

The 2010. Duke 690 has passenger pegs, that use the same size and design bolt but slightly longer, its also a $10 bolt, maybe its an increased strength requirement, but that's the alternate bolt. Once the bolt has bent, it will only weaken it bending back, and one key thing is to not sit on the bike with your weight on it , or start the bike on the stand(kicking it).

Im still on original bolt on my 2015

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WA_trail_rider said:

Was just about to get on the net to find a proper kickstand bolt then had an idea.

1 hour ago, Spud786 said:

one key thing is to not sit on the bike with your weight on it , or start the bike on the stand(kicking it).

KTM does not refer to its side stand as a kick stand. The somewhat flimsy design is a concession for weight savings. With my '00, I learned to take it easy on the side stand or I'd be buying more replacement bolts that I cared to.

• Like 1

Not hitting the bolt. Its bending the little stainless steel tab that auto-retracts the sidestand.

I edited the opening post and added some info to the pics so its more visible.

The soft stainless steel tab  bends with just a tap. You can make an instant friend by doing this “mod” with a rock on the trail. ;)

9C12EA63-DEDC-43AA-840A-945BE7CF651A.thumb.jpeg.90d31d441e759997d44514a148f42f85.jpeg

Heres the originalED14ECA0-C609-45E4-9972-99659753AD9A.thumb.jpeg.1845e0856dfdc711d3c00b596f8b1305.jpeg

Notice the bottom of the spring is about 10mm fwd. Thats all it takes.

Edited by WA_trail_rider
Clarification
  • Like 1

So, net result is side stand does not self-retract now?

And the spring still keeps the side stand retracted while riding?

Nice work. My '05 Beta 525 has a similar system, my first self retracting side stand bike. It's been driving me nuts and I've been meaning to figure out a better solution for some time now. I know the Beta system is similar so I'm going to take a look at it and see if I can get the same results.

Thanks for posting. -Eddie

Edited by Woods_Rider

38 minutes ago, Woods_Rider said:

So, net result is side stand does not self-retract now?

And the spring still keeps the side stand retracted while riding?

Its 99%  A few bucks for the Canada exc sidestand bolt & bushing would make it 100%.

It can’t affect the retract position (while riding) because endpoints of the spring system do not change.  Simply defeats the self-retract.

Edited by WA_trail_rider
  • Like 1

You should have had a different bolt in spare screws bag, its a different bolt Head ,that stops the auto feature, although I guess you can bend the tab

• Like 1

As Spud786 mentioned there should have been a bolt packet provided by your KTM dealer that replaces the bolt so it no longer auto retracts so long as it came with an oem kickstand.

10 hours ago, WA_trail_rider said:

Its 99%  A few bucks for the Canada exc sidestand bolt & bushing would make it 100%.

It can’t affect the retract position (while riding) because endpoints of the spring system do not change.  Simply defeats the self-retract.

Cool, thanks.

10 hours ago, Spud786 said:

You should have had a different bolt in spare screws bag, its a different bolt Head ,that stops the auto feature, although I guess you can bend the tab

I woulda noticed that for sure!  Parts bag has a throttle cam and the (non-mirror) clutch/brake control clamps - no sidestand bolt.

I tried this on a friend's 2014 500EXC which had a MUCH shorter stainless steel link, it solved his sidestand problem.

Just a few light taps is all it takes.

• Like 1

I didn't notice the side stand on my 2018 350 excf self retracting. I read this thread and looked at my bike and the bolt doesn't protrude out and the metal late you guys are bending is covering the bolt head. I noticed in my parts bag a collar that looks like it would go under the bolt head and give the metal plate something to press against for the auto retract. 

So you’re suggesting all I had to do was REMOVE the collar?  And then the bolt screws farther in? :facepalm:  I always assume they’d make it more difficult to un-do safety measures.  I wonder if some dealers are “fixing” these things during bike setup. It would sure suck to have customers do bike dominos in the showroom.  Well what I did wasn’t so difficult and I can still remove the self-retract collar.

It puzzles me that nobody is posting about this simple stuff. How can this stuff be so “secret”? :cool:

Edited by WA_trail_rider

On 6/6/2018 at 11:06 PM, Rock Hugger said:

71087035-B2B2-477D-AD46-CA6228D5BFBC.jpeg

819FCBF6-6142-449C-BD72-21CC4A439243.jpeg

8B685676-101D-42EC-A381-F6F52415F28A.jpeg

Mine came from the dealer like this.  It does not self retract.

• Like 1