Woods Racing--stabilizers

Been watching a lot of GNCC woods racing on Youtube and amazed at the number of guys I see with no stabilizers. I know the speeds aren't like in the wide open desert but I would not consider not using one in all those roots, ruts, rocks etc. I have no real proof it has "saved" me but it sure does give me peace of mind. What do you other woods racers think?

I have a left one and a right one. I really think that's all you need. Some will say you do ,but I think it's a mental thing. I raced vchss since 2010 and a few gncc in 02 and 03, I've really never thought it would be worth the price, plus I'm old school.

I raced with one for awhile and it broke. I've been riding and racing without it for the past year and I'm starting to think they aren't really that important. I think it's almost more of a mental thing. 

In the woods not really unless you are in sandy woods. Wide open desert you def need one due to the fishing around the bars due at speed.

I used one for a year racing enduros and harescrambles. I honestly could not see any real benefit for using it. Now it sits in box. If anything it gives you a false sense of security you really don't have.

I have two bikes, one with and one without. They definitely do something. The one without deflects more on a root or unexpected rock. But I don't plan to put one on my naked bike. I ride almost exclusively sandy woods.

I don't think one in the desert is needed unless you're racing something at like Baja speeds. Yes, I've had three bikes equipped with them (WER, two Scotts) and ridden a bike with a GPR. I actually removed one of the Scotts and gave it to my buddy. I just don't feel the need for it and, if my current bike didn't have one when i bought it, I wouldn't install one.

I run them, have been for years... Last 40hrs or so I've been running a Honda HPDS and love that even more...seems to really help settle the chassis down through corners... 

I have a left one and a right one. I really think that's all you need. Some will say you do ,but I think it's a mental thing. I raced vchss since 2010 and a few gncc in 02 and 03, I've really never thought it would be worth the price, plus I'm old school.

That's hilarious.

And confusing.

9 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

And confusing.

I can't figure out if he's talking about his arms, his legs, or his forks :excuseme:

Probably a SR rider having a "libation".

28 minutes ago, skidoorules_98 said:

That's hilarious.

Looks like your the only one who got it. 

12 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Probably a SR rider having a "libation".

I am a senior rider, but not that old at heart. And I do enjoy my brew. 

It reduces my workload, gives me a moment to use the left hand to grab a drink of water, do a tear-off, or wipe goggles, and it reduces/eliminates bar slap at speed. 

Some bikes benefit more than others.  My xrr doesn't really need it with lights adding so much mass to the steering, but I like it for wide open spaces because it allows me to relax more.  The kx sucks without it.

You don't really need electric start, hydraulic clutches, recluse, proper sag, better valving, mousse tubes, skid plates, hand gaurds, graphics, or spoke covers, but some people can't ride without them.

I have a Scott’s and am a Belieber. 

I sure like mine,,, noticeable difference in sandy and rooted trails...

I find mine most useful when I smack a tree in tight woods with the bark buster. Instead of knifing or tank slapping, it just slightly twitches the front end. 

Never had one, never saw the need for one, especially after seeing the price.

Never had one. Started racing a bunch of Sandy courses so sprung for one with halfway "snake oil" type mindset against them. 

Man, I was way off. They are the truth. Immediately felt more solid and connected to ground. Saved my ass more than once. All the visible stuff is easy. It's the 12in root in that shadow where it pays for itself. 

I believe. But try for yourself. They work so well I'm worried about it becoming a crutch to lazy riding.