XR200R speedometer/odometer, or trail tech?

The '86 XR200R parts bike I picked up has the speedo/odometer on it and thought about putting it on my '90 XR200R that has XR250R forks. 

My question is, is the connection to the wheel the same for 200 and 250's? 

I looked at Trail Tech's website, and it seems the Endurance II, and Vapor are the 2 computers with minimal features that would be necessary for my needs. The Vapor has a tach which is nice but not required. And a temp sensor, but it lists water sensor on the universal model? 

Input from anybody that has experience with Trail Tech products would be helpful. 

I've used Vapors since about 2009 and have them on 2 bikes.
Order the Vapor from Trail Tech and tell them you want the spark plug temp sensor. The vapor also records max temp and RPM, plus resetable ride dist and time.  I also recommend a TT aluminum mount/shield rather than the little plastic handlebar mount that comes with the unit.  Both of the bikes have USD forks and I mounted the wheel sensor on the left fork guards because I thought it was easier than method suggested by TT. 

Thanks Chuck.

I noticed the website had the drop down to select whether it was conventional fork air cooled or water cooled, but when I selected air cooled nothing changed as far as sensors included, so I was unsure. 

I know instructions would come with it, but without a battery, how do they get external power? From the plug wire or are they wired in? 

As for the XR200R speedo, since it's free, I thought I'd use it for a while. Will it hook right up to the 250 wheel? 

Yeah, but I don't need anything fancy like that. I only have the trails at the local offroad park, and haven't been able to get out anywhere else to ride yet. 

My bike doesn't have a battery so I'm not so concerned with a voltage meter. I don't need color touch screen or GPS or buddy tracking or something that can control my phone or any of that other junk. 

All I'm really interested in when I get a trail tech, is, speed, distance, ride time is nice, engine temp, and a tach can be helpful too, but not necessary. So the Vapor would be plenty.

And yes, the Voyager pro is a nice unit, but also $600. On a DIRT ONLY bike, not necessary

Edited by Daniel627
Forgot some stuff

The Vapor can use almost any power, even AC on a XR. All the ext power does is provide brighter back light beyond the 3 seconds provided by the internal battery, and 20 minutes before sleep mode vs 5 minutes on internal battery.  So very usable wo ext power. On my XR I stuck a couple of strands of the power wire into a bullet connector under the tank, so ext power is only avail when the engine is running.
Tach is about 5 wraps around the spark plug wire and then some vinyl electrical tape.
Disc brake is the easiest for a wheel sensor because TT provides a rotor bolt with a magnet.

The manual has instructions

• 2 weeks later...

I sold the one of my 87, as I remember it was a heavy sucker and I did not need the speedometer portion of it.

I don't have one on mine, but I did put a very nice light one from an XR400 on my Son's 87, which you will find on a

lot of other XR400, 250, 600's and KDX 200's pretty much the same unit. Probably weighs close to 1.5lbs with cable

included. If weight is a factor, then the Vapor is the way to go, lot's of data to tap into if you are into that type of thing. 

Michael 

Edited by KTM520EXC

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, wazzabie said:

the trail tech voyager pro color gps looks really nice

I have been using the voyager on the last couple of my bikes.  Roostre just upgraded to the pro and that darn thing is too big for my liking.  Its hard to find a mounting location that doesn't have it sitting up high in the crash zone.

21 hours ago, vulcanduro said:

I have a vapor that came in a box of  used parts.It works but has no wire harness .If its of any use, you can have it for cost of shipping.

Well, if it works, I should be able to call up trail tech and get whatever wiring needed for it. Shouldn't cost much at all to ship. That's a really nice gesture, I'll take it!