Bike set up

The best starting point is buying a factory service manual.

It will have the baseline adjustments (carb, suspension etc.)

plus 95% of the answers for your likely future mechanical questions.

At 218lbs you may benefit from stiffer than stock springs,

setup also depends on what specific usage you'll be doing (trail, off-road, MX)

Be careful, a 450 is quite a handful for a beginner.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

it's a 08 so take the suspension out step on a scale and go to your fav suspension shop and tell them how fast you really ride. Getting your suspension set up trumps all other mods. Grease it while it's apart.  With its age almost everything that moves needs service and you will never tune out worn or damaged parts inside the forks or shock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeavyRotation said:

Congrats on the CRF450 for your first dirt bike, you've made an excellent choice. Obviously the first thing you wanna do is invest in a gopro and mounting for whoever will be following you around as you master your beginner bike..... so we can review the tape and make helpful riding technique suggestions!

haha, i agree. his friends need to record the learning curve as a 450 first bike!!:lol:

• Like 1

Grate advice in the above posts. You are too heavy for the stock springs. I weigh the same as you and I am a vet intermediate. I run a .49 fork spring and a 5.9 shock spring. To mellow out the engine I run a 9 ounce flywheel weight. I went up one tooth on the rear sprocket to 13/49. You will love this bike.