Air box design/filter damaged

One lazy man's opinion: That air filter looks fine.  Maybe dab a little hot glue on the foam to protect it where it gets poked.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chin Strap said:

One lazy man's opinion: That air filter looks fine.  Maybe dab a little hot glue on the foam to protect it where it gets poked.

Yea that’s another part.. From the pictures it didn’t seem bad. I just figured it was more clear in real life than the picture.  Still I like the info on choices of tabs to upgrade to. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

7 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

The fact that Beta themselves makes the repair kit is almost absurd.  

All I can think is; 'Ok, Beta knows that the design is crap, and that a part that is designed to be removed, and a tool-free removal that that, for a regular maintenance item, that breaks, that instead of redesigning it to be more robust, makes and sells the sucker Beta customer-read-us, instead of making it better for future customers.'  

It is worse than the kickstand foot.  

Yes, I guess that's how a company admits there is a problem, without actually admitting that there is a problem. 

7 hours ago, ccullins said:

It's not a Beta item, it's made by someone else. I forget who's name was on the package now. 

There is a list of things I wish Beta would update every year and the air box cover is on that list, but it hasn't happened yet. Fortunately everything on that list is minor so I don't worry about it much. 

It's Nihilo Concepts, their brand name is on your washers.

But I've just realized that Nihilo don't even list it on their website. They must have some sort of exclusivity with Beta America so the Nihilo brandname on it is fairly useless. 

IMG_3359.JPG

Edited by Wait-A-While
  • Like 1

Thats probably what it is.  One thing that really pisses me off about Beta.  Don't pay big $$ for this stuff, just get self aligning weld nuts from McMaster and drill holes in the tabs for the rivits, pop rivit it.  Perfect fit.  I use alloy spacers behind the cover to set the clearance after pulling the pins and cutting the plastic bosses off the inside, and orings to retain them and the bolts, so its a quick no hassle R&R.  This allows the bolts to be tightened much tighter so they will not loosen.  The self aligning nut is better because the lower cover area is not square with the airbox.  This can cause the cover to be pulled away from the side panel when the bolt is tightened.

• Like 1

As cheap as filters are why even mess with it or take any kind of risk?  Filters should be considered a consumable item.

• Like 4

I think the stock beta clips are plated (I replaced mine a while ago) any kind of plating makes the metal brittle. especially thin spring steel that flexes a lot. I hate saying ktm products are better, but the ktm clips are better quality and are black oxide coated not plated

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, randysoo said:

I think the stock beta clips are plated (I replaced mine a while ago) any kind of plating makes the metal brittle. especially thin spring steel that flexes a lot. I hate saying ktm products are better, but the ktm clips are better quality and are black oxide coated not plated

I guess I have to see the ktm clips to compare. Im good so far with mine not broken so far I guess I’ll see later. Or hopefully my beta stuff just continues to hold up. I got some extra side plates too. Still I want to look and compare so I know what you guys are talking about.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider