1990 DR350S Dies after about a mile or so

I have a 1990 DR350S. Just had it shipped from Illinois to NY. It has 1955.0 miles on it. I bought it from the original owner. It will start easily, BUT after about a mile or so it starts coughing and choking. If it sits a min it will light right back up  then do it again a mile or less later. Almost feels like it's starving for fuel. It is a great machine but I need to solve this before I can get out on it!!

ErnieA.jpg

• Like 1

make sure your petcock filters are not jammed full of crap, and that your carb gets good fuel flow from the tank

Edited by john170950

I saw in another post that it is a good idea to swap out the petcock for a Yamaha 600 ? Could that cause this issue?

ErnieB.jpg

8 hours ago, Hodakaguy1A said:

I saw in another post that it is a good idea to swap out the petcock for a Yamaha 600 ? Could that cause this issue?

yes. p/n  5LP-24500-01-00. cap off the vacuum port on the carburetor.

Edited by plugeye

I pulled the fuel line off of the carburetor. In the prime position it seems to flow fine. I would assume if I rode it in " prime " and the problem goes away, that would verify the petcock is bad? I have ordered the Yamaha petcock reguardless

• Like 1

Update!!!!! I pulled th tank off and started hunting. Intake filters on the petcock were not plugged. I lipped the vacuum hose on the valve and put my vac gun on it AND could get NO vacuum!. Looking carefully  at the vacuum line it is split and deteriorated!! I have the Yamaha petcock on the way so this will be a thing of the past anyway!

• Like 2

Well, the Yamaha petcock came today! I cant believe it got here so fast. I put the new valve on, capped off the vacuum port and fired it up. While it did help a lot, it still sputters and coughs. It is much better from 0-1/4 throttle. After that it starts breaking up especial if you whack it open quickly. I have not taken the carb apart yet. Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yep time to take the carb apart.  Like mixgashaulbass said, check the float height, also might as well get a carb kit and rebuild.  If it has seen a lot of ethanol gas you could have some deposits that need to be cleaned up (check the jets), ultrasonic cleaner if you have one, or blast it with carb cleaner. 

Well I finally found the time to take apart the DR35-0S carburetor. You won't believe what I found! Check the attached pictures!! This is EXACTLY as it came apart!

drs1.jpg

drs3.jpg

2 hours ago, Hodakaguy1A said:

Well I finally found the time to take apart the DR35-0S carburetor. You won't believe what I found! Check the attached pictures!! This is EXACTLY as it came apart!

drs1.jpg

drs3.jpg

Well, there's your problem!  How in the world did that get bent?

It wasn't bent. It was in the wrong hole. When I went to put it together I found that the washer over the top of the needle was missing. The previous owner said he " cleaned the carb " So it appears he left it out. I machined a washer out of stainless. went for a ride today and it runs GREAT!!

• Like 3