Goodbye to My Trail-Making Companion

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss Paul. Doesn't seem like it's been all that long ago since we were joking in a thread about a picture you had posted of him. Can't remember what that one was though. 

It's always hard to let go of a long time 4 legged friend and move on to another, but hopefully sometime in the future the right one will come around and fill that void. 

• Like 3

In my area of Mexico, the ancients between 300 BC to 400 AC believed that the Xolo, a hairless breed dog, were the spiritual protectors and guides for the dead to the afterlife.  I rode up to Etzaltlan, Jalisco yesterday and in the town's cultural museum were many displays of the ancient peoples.  The archaeologists found clay figurines of the Xolo with the skeletons.  The ancients believed that the dead would travel through 9 levels to reach the afterlife. Many would not make the journey.

(Cliff's notes versionhere:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mictlan).  The ancients believed that the dead must undertake a 4 year journey of travel to reach the afterlife.  The afterlife was below in the earth.  So upon death, they would dig tunnel shafts into the earth some 5 to 8 meters deep and then dig chambers to bury their dead along with the Xolo.  The Xolo would guide the dead thru the next 9 levels to the afterlife.

I am no expert on the above but from personal experience I can tell that you we have two dogs and one favors my wife and the other favors me.  My wife fell seriously ill 3 years ago and for several months "her" dog would not leave her side.  The Yorkie would not go outside or eat unless my wife accompanied her.  The Yorkie would lay on her chest all day as she rested in bed.  Finally after three months my wife's leukemia was diagnosed and we then realized that the Yorkie was the early barometer, her spiritual guide.  

Xoloitzcuintli-on-White-06.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

Mr. Diesel...  Armed and (potentially) dangerous...  If he had thumbs...

As tough as he could be he was amazingly kind and gentle to other dogs, children, and especially my wife.

Picture 149.jpg

We all miss the “just got home” greeting.  i just had a birthday and thats tough too without your bud.  Even when you have time to prepare, knowing its gettin close, its still tears you apart. Mine had a degenerative spine disease so i watched it progress.  Eventually you will bounce back and remember all of your good times together.  Grieve when you can.  Its one of the toughest things in life.  Ive had to change my daily activities since hes been gone, devolop a new routine.  I thought to myself a few times that Id sell all the dirtbikes to have him back for a bit.  But the deal is we genally know they go before we do.  The day you pick them up at the breeder (or wherever) you just cant imagine the bond that will develop.  It was worth it. 

If you havent read this one:

http://www.aarf.org/Memorials/NoDogsInHeaven.htm

• Like 4

7 hours ago, WRider995 said:

We all miss the “just got home” greeting.  i just had a birthday and thats tough too without your bud.  Even when you have time to prepare, knowing its gettin close, its still tears you apart. Mine had a degenerative spine disease so i watched it progress.  Eventually you will bounce back and remember all of your good times together.  Grieve when you can.  Its one of the toughest things in life.  Ive had to change my daily activities since hes been gone, devolop a new routine.  I thought to myself a few times that Id sell all the dirtbikes to have him back for a bit.

I just bought a "new" car -- I just traded my Lexus LS400 for a Lexus LS430 (I like old stuff) and I was thinking to myself "I wonder how crazy Michael (my Lexus guy) is going to think I am when I bring his car back and ask to trade it back for my old one and some cash so we could be sure to cover Diesel's costs".

The was no amount of money that could have saved Diesel but I would have done just about anything to save him if there remained any possibility.

He was a wonderful companion and the fact you guys have taken time to respond is very comforting.

Love the story and thank you all for your support now and in the past...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 6

Very sorry to hear...sounds like he put a lot of miles on the odo with you over the years...and that's what it's all about.  Giving those guys the very best you can, because they give us everything they have.

• Like 3

Someday I hope to become half the person that my dogs thought I was.

A cat looks at you as someone to provide their needs.  Affection is shown to you on their terms.

Treat a dog well, provide him with food and water, a comfortable place to sleep and a pat on the head and he thinks you are God. He will be the first one to greet you when you come home, whether you are gone ten minutes or ten days.

He will not hesitate to take on an adversary in your defence ten times his weight and many times his height, armed with just his teeth and his love for his master and family.  He will not stop until the threat is down or he is killed.  The man that said that a dog is man's best friend was very wise indeed.

Edited by Joisey
  • Like 9

My heart goes out to you , i broke into tears reading your post. i lost my Dad to leukemia Christmas day 2016 , 3 months later my much loved female cat wally had to be put down from cancer (at age 5 years, cat aids bitten by another cat)  2 months after that our cat mogwhy was run over killed in front of our house , 2 months after that my male staffy Brewsky at age 11 years went into heart failure and had to be put down. i was at vets with him for 2 hours trying to save him, 6 weeks after that our much loved female staffy Keyshia at age 10 years and after 3 X $1000 dollar operations for Base cell tumors in 6 months and 3 more breaking out  my wife and i made the heart breaking decision to put her down. we now only have one much loved 3 year old cat left. Point is they become part of your family like a child,i cried (and this might seem weird) more for the loose of each of my pets than i did my dad . 2017 was not a good year for me.

Please see attached photos of our 2 loving staffys with my darling wife in happier times   thanks guys.

Craig in Oz

Picture 004.jpg

Edited by ozijake08
added something
  • Like 6

Sad to hear. I lost my beloved Missy pig last year. I’ve sold my house and moved since. I only stayed out of (Cleveland, Ohio) County so not to have a hassle over her. I’m now back in county after 15 years. I guess it’s part of having pets unfortunately. My condolences.  —L*64

F7BD26D6-A281-46EA-A5B7-10C42F91B2E9.jpeg

• Like 2