Insurance question

Interesting thing about Arizona is how the insurance companies are tied to the DMV. When I moved to AZ one of the first things I did was transfer my insurance to a local agent. Within 1 week I had multiple letters from the state that I had un registered vehicles in AZ. I recently had this happen on a camper also.  So if you insure it good idea to register it.  I have my bike registered for the 80% offroad (OHV tag) and 20% road (Separate tag) that supposedly allows me to ride road that connects trails. I see side by sides driving all over and not get hassled so it really seems AZ wants the sales tax from the vehicle.  I'm sure if an officer wants to hassle someone for no mirror and wrong tires they could. I've only heard horror stories of people driving right though Sedona.

26 minutes ago, celler said:

Interesting thing about Arizona is how the insurance companies are tied to the DMV. When I moved to AZ one of the first things I did was transfer my insurance to a local agent. Within 1 week I had multiple letters from the state that I had un registered vehicles in AZ. I recently had this happen on a camper also.  So if you insure it good idea to register it.  I have my bike registered for the 80% offroad (OHV tag) and 20% road (Separate tag) that supposedly allows me to ride road that connects trails. I see side by sides driving all over and not get hassled so it really seems AZ wants the sales tax from the vehicle.  I'm sure if an officer wants to hassle someone for no mirror and wrong tires they could. I've only heard horror stories of people driving right though Sedona.

The MVD gets $5 for your PRIMARILY OFF HIGHWAY registration.  The OHV Tag at $26 goes to the State Parks Department.  The MVD doesn't even get a percentage for handling the OHV tag. Not a big incentive for them to plate you as MC vs RV.  A sxs with an RV plate pretty much pays the same. 

What you are getting with that PRIMARILY OFF HIGHWAY registration is the complete waiving of the street registration fees totally on the honor system even though you get to ride around on the street.  You get the same MC plate as a PRIMARILY ON HIGHWAY bike...  and those bikers pay all the registration fees. Sometimes more than $100 before the additional $26 OHV Tag. A guy with a new factory plated $12,000 KTM could pay almost as much as $200 per year just for registration.  ?

I say $31 per year to ride anywhere you want in AZ is a freaking BARGAIN. :worthy:

• Like 2