arizona Insurance question

Just wanted to see what most here in AZ do as far as insurance on your bikes that are registered for off road only? Curious what kind of coverage, if any, people get on a newer dirt bike. 

1 minute ago, 4Sevens said:

I don't do any insurance for off road only.

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking too, but wanted to see what others did 

Insurance is about 5 bucks a month and registration is 5 bucks a year. Getting a plate makes connecting trails way easier.

• Like 2

My riding pal found out a couple weeks ago simple theft coverage would have been a good idea. He paid a lot of cash for a new "off road only" bike that's now gone and he's SOL.  

• Like 1

I got a couple quotes for insurance including limited highway use to go with the plate.  It was around $160 a year.  Anyone found it cheaper and if so, with who?

I pay 60 a year with state farm. Everything we have is with state farm and that might be why it is less.

Full replacement coverage for me on dirt bikes. No sense in taking $10,000 worth of risk to save $5-$15/month.

#1 reason is for theft. If your bike (or any vehicle) is stolen it is NOT covered under your standard home/renter insurance.

#2 reason is for liability. Anything can happen out on the trail with personal injury and/or property damage. I don't want to get wrapped up in a personal liability lawsuit and pay that bill out of pocket.

#3 total loss replacement. I ride some pretty gnarly stuff where a misplaced wheel could mean the bike tumbling hundreds of feet down a mountain. Aside from that, bike could get a fuel leak and catch on fire... anything can happen. It's cheap piece of mind, IMO.

• Like 2

Number ONE reason...  cause most people with $10,000 dirt bikes finance them and are required by the bank to insure them.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, 4Sevens said:

I got a couple quotes for insurance including limited highway use to go with the plate.  It was around $160 a year.  Anyone found it cheaper and if so, with who?

I got my best deal via a company called Foremost. No idea if they are licensed for AZ however. They beat both Progressive and Geico by a decent margin with the same coverages & limits.

I wish 160 year though. Uninsured motorist coverage in FL adds a lot.

Just now, Bryan Bosch said:

I got my best deal via a company called Foremost. 

Thats Farmers Ins spin off company.  We use it for the house.  Limited options when you live totally off grid.  Farmers stepped up with the Foremost option.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sounds like I need to get some more quotes. The quote I have currently is from Safeco and it is almost $300/year. I’m 47 with a clean driving record and I thought that sounded high.

Coverages are different... States are different... Street vs dirt registrations are different.  I'm not convinced everyone really knows what their coverages really are.  I suspect there is a lot of apples vs oranges vs bananas being compared in here. :smirk:.

I have had my insurance with State Farm for years. Recently I wanted to add some medical coverage for myself on the bike due to changes in my medical insurance. State farm did not off the option.

I recommend you go to the Progressive website and you can build a coverage for you. You will see many options to understand what costs what. After you do this you will understand more of the options and can do a better job getting other quotes.  My policy is 375 a year. Sounds high. Over 50% is just the medical coverage. I also carry a lot of liability of various sorts (liability is the biggest reason I have insurance as many dirt bikers do not and if you hit each other whos fault? Lawyers will go for the money.) Basic liability, theft, and comprehensive is about 100/year. Geico was a little cheaper but did not have the level of medical I wanted.

45 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Coverages are different... States are different... Street vs dirt registrations are different.  I'm not convinced everyone really knows what their coverages really are.  I suspect there is a lot of apples vs oranges vs bananas being compared in here. :smirk:.

Exactly. I got the bare legal minlmum . I dont ride the pavement but all of az state owned land requires a plate. 

20 minutes ago, ehall said:

Exactly. I got the bare legal minlmum . I dont ride the pavement but all of az state owned land requires a plate. 

You could slap an RV plate on there with OHV tag and ride State Land just like the atvers.  No insurance requirement.  But I prefer the MC plate myself even with liability ins requirement.  Just so I have the option.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

You could slap an RV plate on there with OHV tag and ride State Land just like the atvers.  No insurance requirement.  But I prefer the MC plate myself even with liability ins requirement.  Just so I have the option.  :thumbsup:

A lot of the 2 track in the national forest requires you to be street legal. We also ride the Barry Goldwater range and Caneza Prieta which also require you to be street legal.

23 minutes ago, ehall said:

A lot of the 2 track in the national forest requires you to be street legal. We also ride the Barry Goldwater range and Caneza Prieta which also require you to be street legal.

Well yes...  street legal dirt roads do require a street legal vehicle.  Just saying you don't need a street plate or insurance for state ohv lands.  It's a bit of a maze negotiating the rules so I tend to get very specific.  lol  :smirk: