markbfe501

Backyard Trials Obstacles

Purchased 34 acres recently, and have been cutting single track in the woods, built a couple of bridges across the creeks, built two picnic/firepit areas as well as a ton of different swings from the 150 year old live oaks, and now starting on my trials obstacles.  Managed to score a number of big rocks, big logs, etc.  The past couple of days I've been building a splatter wall.  Should finish it tomorrow.  Have been enjoying a private airshow daily from our local crop-duster as well.

I'd be interested in getting further ideas from you on possible trials obstacles.

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_9032.JPG

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 9

32 minutes ago, kxrob said:

awesome looking property

X2. I  am feeling a bit green.

When the Yamaha TY-E comes out I'll ride  in my back yard. Only 1100m^2 :cry:

But at least its 3 min from CBD.

• Like 2

You need to install a mini-Carl's Diner rock garden

And some logs in a zig zag patter that you can ride down the top of, turning, etc.

I watch when a neighbor is having a tree cut down, and ask the tree guys if I can have a suitable log for my backyard trials. I've seen some big ones, but can't think of a way to move them onto my property

• Like 3

I would use those rocks and logs to build something that even in my wildest dreams I couldn't ride.  Then I would try it every day and lick my wounds when it kicked my ass!  At some point you will stumble upon a revelation as to what needs to change ( it may be you, the bike, or the terrain and all are fair game in your own private 34 acre world)  for you to clean the obstacle. And from that point on the learning will continue in leaps and bounds.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies and ideas.  Completed the initial wall today.  Had another air show while working on it.  I cut a steeper hill within my rolling hill to both get some dirt to fill in the wall, but also to give me a hill to lay some logs across.  I have tons of logs, and also now have some big rocks to play with.  I have 3 creeks on the property, one which will be perfect for a rock garden.  

This evening, I had some buddies over to ride some single track and try out the new wall.  

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

• Like 3

Pat22043,  not sure how far away they are but we move extremely heavy objects on pipe. They roll no problem. Choose the right size and materials but it should work fine. 

Gonna need a few steaks and some beer for your volunteers though. 

• Like 2

I have a very extensive playground that I built. Large dirt piles are a must to be a well rounded rider. Find a heavy equipment place that deals with the largest of machinery. They will have a pile of large tires that are scrap, that they are waiting to dispose of. "Iron Peddlers", near me save theirs up until they have enough to hire a tire grinder to come grind them up. They are more than happy to give them away so they don't have to pay disposal. I have 7 from them. As large as 7 feet across and over 3ft high. However, one day...... somebody will have to pay disposal fee. If your into "trials", then that's a game, that's not applicable for me..... But if you use trials as a means of playing on obstacles and learning, to better your woods riding, then I would say, a log pile, a raised log, multiple height, shaped dirt piles, individual rocks, rock garden, varying splat ledges,  balance beam, with turns. standing tires, flat tires, log matrix, big log, parallel log to balance, concrete rubble, old car, standing  poles to weave between, multiple size logs, close log matrix. All these I have, but of all that I have, my biggest hill is the funnest, and best learning. Edit.... my concrete rubble piles have taught me much. [big chunks of demoed slabs, about the size that you can't lift them by hand, in large piles resembling rocky ledges]

Edited by 1gr8bldr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I have a very extensive playground that I built. Large dirt piles are a must to be a well rounded rider. Find a heavy equipment place that deals with the largest of machinery. They will have a pile of large tires that are scrap, that they are waiting to dispose of. "Iron Peddlers", near me save theirs up until they have enough to hire a tire grinder to come grind them up. They are more than happy to give them away so they don't have to pay disposal. I have 7 from them. As large as 7 feet across and over 3ft high. However, one day...... somebody will have to pay disposal fee. If your into "trials", then that's a game, that's not applicable for me..... But if you use trials as a means of playing on obstacles and learning, to better your woods riding, then I would say, a log pile, a raised log, multiple height, shaped dirt piles, individual rocks, rock garden, varying splat ledges,  balance beam, with turns. standing tires, flat tires, log matrix, big log, parallel log to balance, concrete rubble, old car, standing  poles to weave between, multiple size logs, close log matrix. All these I have, but of all that I have, my biggest hill is the funnest, and best learning. Edit.... my concrete rubble piles have taught me much. [big chunks of demoed slabs, about the size that you can't lift them by hand, in large piles resembling rocky ledges]

Fantastic ideas - thanks!!

I have a friend that has a huge farm here in our area.  He won't have the huge construction tires but will have some very large tractor tires.  I plan to pursue a couple next time I see him.  I already ride a lot of tight woods enduro, single track and dual sport.  Trials will certainly help me there, so I plan to install a lot of tree trunks, big rocks, singletrack, etc.  But I'm also interested in trials itself - being able to tackle a new challenge.  So I'll add obstacles to help me grow my skills there as well.  

Thanks for the great ideas on both fronts!

Also an adventure bike rider, so may add some things for the big bike.  

Good news, of my 34.5 acres, I still have about 34 acres left to play with.

Edited by markbfe501

13 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

Fantastic ideas - thanks!!

I have a friend that has a huge farm here in our area.  He won't have the huge construction tires but will have some very large tractor tires.  I plan to pursue a couple next time I see him.  I already ride a lot of tight woods enduro, single track and dual sport.  Trials will certainly help me there, so I plan to install a lot of tree trunks, big rocks, singletrack, etc.  But I'm also interested in trials itself - being able to tackle a new challenge.  So I'll add obstacles to help me grow my skills there as well.  

Thanks for the great ideas on both fronts!

Also an adventure bike rider, so may add some things for the big bike.  

Good news, of my 34.5 acres, I still have about 34 acres left to play with.

I don't have a good place for it, because my 5 acres is flat, but varying width ditches to practice getting across would be nice. If I did that it would hold water, and be a mess, like our 70 foot truck bog. It's to far across to jump it unless you use a small ramp I built. A 2ft, and 3ft would be enough. I also took a trencher and dug 100 ft of curving ruts, to learn better rut riding skills. I also recently added a log on one of my downhill slopes. Trying to learn what to do when you encounter a log on a steep downhill descent. Usually, in the past, I have about endoed due to braking to hard right before it, which will cause you to hit it and stop. Turns out that downhill, if your way back on the seat, you can punch right over a 10 inch log, no problem, if you just commit to it.  It's less than a hit if it were on level ground, due to the bikes momentum heading down, and the front never getting bucked  to horizontal. I will try a larger log soon. These things learned in a controlled environment, approached incremental, is so much safer to learn this way rather than an occasional encounter on the trail 

Edited by 1gr8bldr
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I don't have a good place for it, because my 5 acres is flat, but varying width ditches to practice getting across would be nice. If I did that it would hold water, and be a mess, like our 70 foot truck bog. It's to far across to jump it unless you use a small ramp I built. A 2ft, and 3ft would be enough. I also took a trencher and dug 100 ft of curving ruts, to learn better rut riding skills. I also recently added a log on one of my downhill slopes. Trying to learn what to do when you encounter a log on a steep downhill descent. Usually, in the past, I have about endoed due to braking to hard right before it, which will cause you to hit it and stop. Turns out that downhill, if your way back on the seat, you can punch right over a 10 inch log, no problem, if you just commit to it.  It's less than a hit if it were on level ground, due to the bikes momentum heading down, and the front never getting bucked  to horizontal. I will try a larger log soon. These things learned in a controlled environment, approached incremental, is so much safer to learn this way rather than an occasional encounter on the trail 

Regarding the downhill logs - exactly what I've found.  But I've also experienced the "going for it" in the woods only to find myself going too fast to avoid the next obstacle past the log.  Ended up down the side of small mountain, waking up wondering how me and the bike ended up on the downhill side of a 2' log about 3' above the ground.  Last thing I remember when headed down that hill on the other side of the log I hopped was thinking something to the effect of "this is gonna hurt . . .".  Agree it's much better and safer to practice this in a controlled environment before finding myself in that situation on the trail.

10 minutes ago, markbfe501 said:

Regarding the downhill logs - exactly what I've found.  But I've also experienced the "going for it" in the woods only to find myself going too fast to avoid the next obstacle past the log.  Ended up down the side of small mountain, waking up wondering how me and the bike ended up on the downhill side of a 2' log about 3' above the ground.  Last thing I remember when headed down that hill on the other side of the log I hopped was thinking something to the effect of "this is gonna hurt . . .".  Agree it's much better and safer to practice this in a controlled environment before finding myself in that situation on the trail.

I practice everything I can think of, always thinking about technique. However, I find that on the trail, I'm usually tired, and don't have the confidence to employ the techniques I have learned

• Like 1

After a lot of mowing, finally a chance today to add some obstacles from logs, rocks and RR ties.

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

My local crop-duster still making his tail turns over my property, and had a visit from your local balloon pilot as well today.

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

Finally had a chance to go try out the new obstacles this evening.  Me thinks I need to learn some proper techniques.  Nearest real trials to me is several hundred miles away.  Anyway, fun stuff!

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.jpg

• Like 4