Riding in southern Maine

Hey guys,

I’ve been trying to find legal riding spots in southern Maine.  I live in MA so looking for places fairly close.  I’ve contacted a few riding clubs, some have said no bikes allowed on their trails and others have said something like “ya there’s plenty of places, i’ll see if I can find a map” and haven’t been clear about where these places are or any info on trails.  I used to ride at Abbott mountain (in Shapleigh I think) with friends like ten years ago but I don’t remember where the staging area was.  I have the Maine state atv map, which basically tells you to contact clubs.  And I can’t find any info about riding spots online.  Can anyone recommend a few spots within 1.5hrs or so from MA?  New Hampshire makes it easy to find areas, Maine not so much.  Any help would be great guys!  

I can only speak for the riding areas on the map that I've been to, but yes, they're legal with a maine atv registration. The trail heads are marked as multi use from May thru December (Not sure of exact dates), closed December thru May (mud season).

• 2 months later...

I used that map to find a lot of trails I ride every weekend. It is a great resource to point you in the general direction but not all of the trails on that map are bike-friendly. Large pole lines owned by CMP are signed no motorcycles. Also, Massabesic forest from East Waterboro to Dayton are off limits. A few others shown on there are closed or rerouted. Just look for the green atv signs and you should be okay as long as there isn't a 'no motorcycle' sign.