I'm sick of the clunky sound of the gearbox

Posted (edited)

Sorry for bad english..

I asked to some thumpertalk users about the clunky sound between 1st and 2nd (and sometimes 3rd), but no one fixed it.

Kompact user told me about use mineral oil but im not agree to use mineral oil is this engine, so we have to find a solution of this problem.

People who replace the clutch removing the judder spring don't solve the problem, but I have no clue what is causing that clunking noise..

I went to Honda dealer about this problem, and they told me that sound is normal...WTF, im still paying the bike...and they told me that, yeah I feel pissed off... I dont think is a oil related..

The first inspection/service of my bike after 1000 km (really 1400 hehe) they put me Castrol Power 1 10W30 (not Racing) , that oil is a semi syntetic, the bike run great, but after 2000 km more (3500 more or less) started the clunking sound, I thought in that moment maybe is not the correct oil..

Then I change the oil by Motul 7100 10W30 (full syntetic 100%), but no difference about clunk sound, now my bike has 4400 KM and still with same clunk sound..

I read some users with same problem, using differents oil, so oil is not the problem! Another oil can reduce the clunk sound, yeah off course, but is not the correct oil, best solution is fix the engine...but why is causing the clunk sound...that sound is ruining my fun.

Im not enjoying the bike, because everytime I hear the clunk sound I hurt inside of me...

What to do in this case..? The bike is a rock, I love my stock bike, I dont need mod my bike because for me is perfect..

Why for some people is clunking...and others users after so much mileage doesnt have that problem....I dont understand.

Sorry for big text, cheers, Aitor! 

Edited by physx1024

I am curious as to how loud this "clunking" is.  Every transmission is going to clunk a little bit, especially shifting from 2nd to 1st.

With the first video, that does not seem right whatsoever.  You should not hear a click like that, just by engaging the clutch, definitely something wrong there.  However with the second video that is how my 250l sounds in the first 2 or 3 gears when I hit the shift lever, I believe that is completely normal, a few other bikes I have owned made similar sounds.

I went to Honda dealer again, and I tried (not running) the experience the first video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruy2adrEpVo

Was a CRF 250 L 2017 with 7 KM in odometer, and happened the same! WTF! Then is normal...

The vendor told me I could try the bike tomorrow and check if has the same clunky sound as my bike!

I can try CRF 250 L and Rally...

in the first video, it would be good to see the hand as well, it's hard to tell when the sound is happening during the clutch actuation. based on how fast the clutch actuator is moving are you pulling the clutch lever in, and then like....extremely quickly just letting go of the clutch lever completely? cus it sounds/looks like the actuator is just slapping back to the normal position really fast

if you take the bike, and pull the clutch lever in slowly, then slowly release the clutch lever (like really slow) does the noise still happen? if it DOES still happen, does it happen before the clutch lever is all the way back out (or at least before you stop feeling resistance)

This is what I said to you in PM:

"The 250L has a crappy clutch and it will always be a bit clunky. I have found that it shifts the smoothest with BelRay 10w40 mineral oil. Also make sure when you downshift you blip the throttle just before you shift   3->2,   2->1   and   N->1. Make sure you have no throttle when up shifting, I know that is basic motorcycle riding but sometimes people don't know that.

The bike will also shift a little bit rough if you don't put enough force on the shifter. If you ride with shoes it is hard to get the force correct, boots make a big difference.

I also change my oil very often as it helps keep things smooth - worn oil gets thin and makes shifting clunky."

I watched both of the videos you linked above. From what I saw the problem is your shifting technique sucks, you need to blip the throttle when you downshift. You are also using very light pressure on the foot control and wearing thin soled shoes. You need to downshift on the foot control like you mean it and time it properly with a throttle blip.

There may also be a problem with your clutch or actuator arm but there is no way for us to tell until you post a vid using proper shifting technique.