drz400s wheelie

Hello 

i been trying to learn wheelies guys all i did success with is first gear power without the clutch poping i tried 2nd gear many times with clutch popping the bike feels to heavy to wheelie any ideas or tips on how to do it ? maybe im doing something wrong 

Thank you

Google DRZ400 3x3 mod and order a JD Jetting jet kit. That's step 1.

What you're describing is accurate. The bike is choked from the factory with a tiny CV carburetor, small cams, sealed airbox, restricted exhausts and lowered compression.

You need to learn to find the balance point. Once you're there you can keep the bike in a wheelie indefinitely with the rear brake and throttle. I'd recommend practicing in the dirt. Preferable not on your brand new 17 if you can help it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Google DRZ400 3x3 mod and order a JD Jetting jet kit. That's step 1.

What you're describing is accurate. The bike is choked from the factory with a tiny CV carburetor, small cams, sealed airbox, restricted exhausts and lowered compression.

You need to learn to find the balance point. Once you're there you can keep the bike in a wheelie indefinitely with the rear brake and throttle. I'd recommend practicing in the dirt. Preferable not on your brand new 17 if you can help it.

what you mean by the balance point can you explain please i have tried almost full engine power and popping out the clutch and couldnt lift the bike it just wont lift have you ever lift same bike cause i dont think its possible even though a friend said that he had drz400s lower year model and he could wheelie on 2nd gear much easier 

Just now, Deftone said:

Move back on the seat.....

moving back is not efficient i guess i am trying to get it up from its power will it be helpful if i make the clutch release  at higher point ?

1 minute ago, faris114 said:

moving back is not efficient i guess i am trying to get it up from its power will it be helpful if i make the clutch release  at higher point ?

Push down on the front to load the forks, let them spring back while you slide back on the seat and feather clutch and twist the throttle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Get  FCR carb so its not so sluggish in throttle response.  Its a night and day difference.  All 4 stroke carburetors should be FCR carbs.  Even if my bike was EFI I would stillcrun an FCR carb and dont even start to eventhink I might be kidding.

Also, get a bigger rear sprocket.  Or a smaller front sprocket.  I dont like clutch ups.  Idc what anybody says.  That shit beats everything up if you do em on pavement every day.

wheelies dont take much horsepower if you throw your body weight around to help it out. watch vids of the pros and you see them compress the forks and use them as a pogo stick to launch the front up with a tiny bit of help from the engine.

• Like 1