copper spray gasket

I'm putting my son's 125 back together and have seen people talking about coating the gasket with the copper spray.  Is that on ever gasket, is there ones I should avoid using it on. I used to use a little RTV to hold the gasket in place and that was about it.

Don't use RTV on anything that can come into contact with gasoline, either in form of liquid or even vapor.

It will eventually get dissolved, turn to mush and risk an air leak.

RTV should never be required anywhere on a dirt bike's engine.

In some places a bead of sealant can be beneficial, like around the reed block assy.

For that, only use gasoline resistant sealer like Yamabond, ThreeBond or Motoseal.

As for the copper spray, I've never used it

but if either the cyl. head and/or cylinder mating surfaces aren't perfect I'm sure it could be beneficial.

Edited by mlatour

I'm putting my son's 125 back together and have seen people talking about coating the gasket with the copper spray.  Is that on ever gasket, is there ones I should avoid using it on. I used to use a little RTV to hold the gasket in place and that was about it.
I've been using the copper spray on gaskets on older bike rebuilds with slightly imperfect mating surfaces with good results. If there are big gouges another method might be required.

Been using it for years on head gaskets both 2 and 4 stroke! Believe Honda recommends a little smear of rtv at case mating surface front and back before base gasket is put in place