Has Honda has confirmed higher HP ratings for US models?

I read earlier on youtube that Honda responded to a comment on their new video CRF collective

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 8.33.05 AM.png

Edited by brraaapperdoodle
  • Like 3

I mean, good thing cause I just got my 250L going good, there was no way in hell I'm gonna dish out another 10k for a bike that only has 10-12% more power stock... I know that I'm gonna wait to get one, and see if the upgrade is worth it after all the other guys, to see if the suspension and engine are improved that much.

Happy to see that the HP is in the 40s. Does that mean stage 1 could possibly be around 50 HP? Cause if that combined with the new suspension and weight loss, I'm might be buying two

I follow about 4 different local dual sport, adventure and supermoto groups where I live.  The misinformation and lack of clarification on the 25HP has killed most of the early hype for the 450L at least with the FB groups I follow.  The hondaprokevin site numbers have spread EVERYWHERE .

This article also seems to indicate mid-40's: http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

We asked Honda for a publishable HP number for the 450L and they said it was in the 40s. For dirt bikes, Honda (all OEM’s actually) don’t give out HP numbers since there are so many variables in dyno’ing the bikes. Also, Honda added that there is only a 4 hp difference between the X and L 

As an L it will be highly restricted.
Port the airbox, lose the baffle and maybe program it to unlock the potential the EPA made them hide.

Latest on this side of the pond ...

EU version - which we get - 25HP

USA - mid 40's

What it will entail to derestrict the EU - anybodys guess at this point.

Better be cheap tho' - the bike will be pricey here, and if not restricted a complete waste of money

On 2018-06-07 at 5:42 AM, brraaapperdoodle said:

I read earlier on youtube that Honda responded to a comment on their new video CRF collective

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 8.33.05 AM.png

Thanks for sharing ...great to know

EPA publishes data from all emissions certifications. So when he 450L finishes approval, and EPA updates the document (often many months between), crank hp (actually kW) will be out there. Of course, by then someone should have real world rear wheel numbers. And the EPA numbers won't tell what an uncorked bike would do (example, the WR450F lists something like 28 hp at the crank, the CRF450X 62 hp).

The EPA documents can be found by Googling "EPA highway motorcycle certification results".

The 450L better be cheap if it's arriving under powered, over weight, & will require additional $ to derestrict vs the competition.

Edited by motorambler

On 6/20/2018 at 10:15 AM, motorambler said:

The 450L better be cheap if it's arriving under powered, over weight, & will require additional $ to derestrict vs the competition.

Or, you could just not whine about it and buy something else..............

• Like 3

On 8/19/2018 at 6:00 PM, THE KRAN said:

Or, you could just not whine about it and buy something else..............

I agree with the ' It better be cheap ...'

See no reason to make a "whine" accusation

This is a Forum - everybody has an opinion, post with respect

40 minutes ago, seedy said:

I agree with the ' It better be cheap ...'

See no reason to make a "whine" accusation

This is a Forum - everybody has an opinion, post with respect

I respect your right to Whine about something you have no control over.....

It’s 27 lbs heavier than a Husky FE 501. That’s about the difference between me wearing my fat pants in the winter and skinny pants in the summer!

I think it is clear now the bike has decent but unspectacular power. However, this means there will be a huge aftermarket push to produce a pipe and ECU swap that will put this more closely in the CRF450RX territory. It clearly has a 3 ring lower comp piston so you will never get all the way there, but I don't think any of us want that anyway.

FMF surely already has something ready or nearly ready.

Vortex not so sure. Maybe a 450RX ECU remapped?

All the sudden my buddy who is a big cheese at American Honda may be getting a call he didn't expect. :cheers:

To be fair Every other road legal dirt bike in the world is restricted and euro4ified from the factory. The weight issue by all Ride reports is a bit of a non issue as everyone seems to think it carries its weight well id also like to see a real world weight comparison the lightest bike in the class (arguably the KTM500) and the CRF450L both full of fuel oil and ready to ride I suspect it would be closer that the internet numbers suggest but certainly the honda will be heavier that big stainless pipe will be an easy way to shave a few pounds as well. On a positive note though there is one dealer in Australia offering a free upgrade with ecu and airbox mods and decent offroad rubber.