Need Help Fast - Purcase Used DRZ400SM

Hello,

I need your help, FAST. … Thanks in advance.

Please check out this ad. … The seller tells me the third owner but the bike is only 2 yeas old and the miles are very low.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2016-suzuki-drz400sm/6604761265.html
… I cannot think of any reason that a bike would have 3 owners in that short time. … The current owner swears it's all good. … One other strange thing is that it is claimed to have the 3x3 mod and to have been jetted but it has the stock exhaust, which would restrict and nullify these mods. … He is supposed to call me back with the VIN#, later today. … USED DRZs are as rare as hen's teeth, in this neck of the woods and I want one.
… The seller also has a foreign accent, which makes me think he is some sort of "trader".
… I am also worried about some sort of VIN#-bait-n-switch scam … Note that this ad was posted more than one week ago, so, no other buyers, in that time.
Any thoughts or advice ? … Should I bail ? … I need to make a decision, today. … How do I verify that everything is kosher? … Are there any known scams where they switch the bike or the paperwork ? … Where else should I post this request for information?

Thank you all for your responses.

Hello,

Please check out this ad. … The seller tells me the third owner but the bike is only 2 years old and the miles are very low.
… I cannot think of any reason that a bike would have 3 owners in that short time. … The current owner swears it's all good. … One other strange thing is that it is claimed to have the 3x3 mod and to have been jetted but it has the stock exhaust, which would restrict and nullify these mods. … He is supposed to call me back with the VIN#, later today. … USED DRZs are as rare as hen's teeth, in this neck of the woods and I want one.
… The seller also has a foreign accent, which makes me think he is some sort of "trader".
… I am also worried about some sort of VIN#-bait-n-switch scam … Note that this ad was posted more than one week ago, so, no other buyers, in that time.
Any thoughts or advice ? … Should I bail ? … I need to make a decision, today. … How do I verify that everything is kosher? … Are there any known scams where they switch the bike or the paperwork ? … Where else should I post this request for information?

Hello,

Edited by Frank Langham
sp

Are you in Austin? I am - and he's chosen a generic downtown location - which would be very strange unless he lives in a downtown condo. Is there any funny business around - I'm selling this for a friend or wire me the money ? Remember CL is famous for scams... Wire me $7000 and I will wire back $6000 etc...He is using a 512 Austin number - but could be spoofing it. Buyer beware - especially if the price is too good to be true...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Frank Langham said:

I thought that "un-corking" requires that both the volume of intake and the volume of exhaust be increased, commensurately. … But I never have attempted it.

There are different levels on un-corking, consider this level or stage 1.  To make any real power gains you would have to do as you say and increase both intake and exhaust volume.  The basic 3x3 mod with mild re-jetting really only buys increased throttle response.

Edited by mtnpat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frank Langham said:

I thought that "un-corking" requires that both the volume of intake and the volume of exhaust be increased, commensurately. … But I never have attempted it.

If you want the full effect it does.. doing 2/3 of the mod is like, well, buying and cooking the rib eye, but throwing it away and not eating it

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Frank Langham said:

Hello,

Please check out this ad. … The seller tells me the third owner but the bike is only 2 years old and the miles are very low.

Hello,

Low miles and several owners is very common here in Texas..
Folks buy a bike for spouse, who rides it a few times then never again.
Folks buy a bike, then realize, its less fun then they thought, more work, inconvenient HOT.
Folks buy a bike to "save money" then realize when insurance and registration is due ...they are still paying all that on a car they don't drive, or on a bike that is sitting in the garage while they drive the car every day..
That and many other reasons makes for lost of used bikes here in Texas.  As long as the title is correct, in the name of current owner who has owned it in the past means little.

Evaluate the condition of the bike today and make a decision.

• Like 2

Brand new in TX its  $7200 bike or less, so for me $5k used is too much..Im sure the seller disagrees...LOL... But if you like it, its worth whatever you are willing to pay>
We pay tax on used vehicles here, so no savings on that buying used, we pay the same in registration fees new or used, so no savings there

• Like 1

It does appear in the pics to be a clean example.. I see no real signs of crash damage ....from the stock parts often damaged in a basic crash and commonly not replaced...but still present on this bike.. Big ass mirrors, rear fender, reflectors,  to the non bent or twisted cheap chinesium hand guards

• Like 1

The soda can wrapped around the shock is a nice touch........... well ok, no not really,,,, but it can be an indicator someone took pride in the bike vice abused it, or it could be hiding something (doubt that).
Make sure to gentle test the shock and fork clickers to ensure they were not forced past the stops..repairing those gets pricey fast.

1 minute ago, Frank Langham said:

Yes, Erik … Few mods (even the almost free mods are absent) ...

And, OF COURSE, TT covers are THE only way to go ! !

Thanks for all of your great input and feedback, Erik !! Appreciated !

I'll be in Austin tomorrow servicing some of our training fleet ..if the sun , moon and luck aligns, I MIGHT be able to look at it with you

• Like 4

Used bike, three owners could all be guys that never rode before, bought the bike and rode once. Not terribly uncommon. I'd meet him on the police department parking lot. Tell the LEO's in advance, maybe one will BS with you while you wait. See the bike, see the title, then check it over. Price is a little high for a 2+ year old bike though demand affects that.

3X3 and a jet kit is also not too uncommon. Done right, it does make the bike run smoother (no more power, perhaps 0.2 HP at WOT).

• Like 2

I intend to convert it to an "S" configuration (dirt wheels, etc) … I want to ride some local OHV trails and do some exploring, in addition to metro errands, appointments and groceries but my TRUE fantasy is to do the TAT, BAJA, and the 4-Corners Region, not to mention Texas Parks.  … Right now I ride a V-Strom (DL650A ABS ADVENTURE) … It is a pussy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

I'll be in Austin tomorrow servicing some of our training fleet ..if the sun , moon and luck aligns, I MIGHT be able to look at it with you

That would be cool ! … Hmmm … I guess this forum has PMs … I'll try to slide you my digits, in case you pop free, in synch.

• Like 1