Mud screen ideas

Im looking at ideas to help screen out mud right behind the front tire in the area above the header cylinder area.  I was thinking of some kind of stainless mesh wiring . Im not sure what could be used yet. Haven’t gone to the hardware store or ebay etc for brain storming. It’s weird as this last ride lots of mud collected but in earlier mud rides bery little debris  collected here. Any ideas? Seen any decent setups?

E700BE80-E450-4E36-8000-7F3C0614D403.jpeg

B65C0BD5-1028-4A06-9E79-CE9272A395CE.jpeg

Here’s a first look at some materials..The trick is to fabricate something that looks like shit on the bike but just starting looking at ideas anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-Stainless-Steel-Mesh-304-2-063-Stainless-Steel-Welded-Wire-12-x-12-/292533687844

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Well I just started with an order of this just to start playing with something.. The glory of ebay! I'm not sure if it's good or not until it's here but it's just a start.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Crimped-304-Mesh-2-063-Cloth-Screen-12-x18/113011300078?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

I'm also seeing that maybe lowering the coverage of the back of the front fender might be an option..  I've got lots of old fenders and rivets or something to help limit mud flying up by extending further downward.. a mud flap there might be ugly but that's another thought.. just playing around with different ideas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moto367 said:

where's the mud??  You should come to Ohio and ride when it's wet!  LOL!  That is an area that holds a lot of crap.  Interested to see what you come up with.

Got any pics of other guys setups to limit mud?????? There isn't too much out there surprisingly. Hey lots ride in mud. I guess they don't care. I have gotten foam and blocked off mud from going past the top of the front of the skid plate. That's better than nothing.. That was with my enduro engineering skid plate. Now with this Ptech combo guard I'll see what other strategies may improve on that.

no pics.  Around here we just run a normal skid plate and carbon pipe guard (if a pipe guard at all).  Guess it's going to get muddy regardless so less to take off to clean.  It'd be nice if there were something to prevent the mud packing though.  I remember back in the late 70's bikes had a heavy piece of rubber attached to the end of the fender.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, moto367 said:

no pics.  Around here we just run a normal skid plate and carbon pipe guard (if a pipe guard at all).  Guess it's going to get muddy regardless so less to take off to clean.  It'd be nice if there were something to prevent the mud packing though.  I remember back in the late 70's bikes had a heavy piece of rubber attached to the end of the fender.

Lots of guys run custom cage metal guards here. It’s very common  and those don’t hold mud as much. That’s what some locals were telling me... that mud would collect. I just didn’t feel like getting a custom guard made. Im paying the price now but the PTech guard does look nice. I figure this screen ought to do its job too.  Worse comes to worse I’ll run this for a while and later get a cage guard made. Here’s an example of a few here but tons of Hawaii guys run cage guards. It just saves money from ever buying pipes. 

Not a great vid but it shows..

Yea Im a 70s rider too. It opens me up to thatmudflap idea too or a variation of it. 

Husky reminicient

Hey hdr, did you look under your fender, hahaha. 

Applying silicone spray will help a bit and maybe help when washing. 

I remember in the 80s some guys were mixing diesel with some oil and were spraying it inside of fenders. Again it did helped until it was washed off but the worst part was that your bike smell like an old tractor... 

An of course you have to be careful not to spray on tyres, brakes, saddle etc.. 

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, dirtbird said:

Hey hdr, did you look under your fender, hahaha. 

Applying silicone spray will help a bit and maybe help when washing. 

I remember in the 80s some guys were mixing diesel with some oil and were spraying it inside of fenders. Again it did helped until it was washed off but the worst part was that your bike smell like an old tractor... 

An of course you have to be careful not to spray on tyres, brakes, saddle etc.. 

I do spray oil under my fenders every time after washing. It doesn’t look like it though.. I kind of spray a lot of oil all over the bike. The thing is the mud on this island sticks like tar... Spraying oil is sort of a wish that will help but wont .It doesn’t rinse off easy at all...  . It’s like a cement lol. It sucks to clean. This islands age is much older than say the Big island of Hawaii which is younger and is super easy to wash off . Just shhoting water and it’s almost clean !!! The more level of a lava cinder content makes cleaning super easy. Not here. And the high iron content stains red . Soil is different. This sticky stuff doesn’t help my situation on this project but it’s always been that way.

I'm thinking a mud flap off the back edge of the fender might do you best.  Something that is semi-rigid so it doesn't hang up on the bike when steering, or get sucked up under the fender from catching on the tire.  If you were to lay something over the pipe, you could end up with a heat problem there.  And clearly you need something non-porous.  Any sort of screen is just going to filter the mud down to only the goopiest stuff, and then get caked up UNDER THE SCREEN.

A sheet of 1/8" rubber with a music wire frame on the back to hold it in position might work.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DirtAndBass said:

I'm thinking a mud flap off the back edge of the fender might do you best.  Something that is semi-rigid so it doesn't hang up on the bike when steering, or get sucked up under the fender from catching on the tire.  If you were to lay something over the pipe, you could end up with a heat problem there.  And clearly you need something non-porous.  Any sort of screen is just going to filter the mud down to only the goopiest stuff, and then get caked up UNDER THE SCREEN.

A sheet of 1/8" rubber with a music wire frame on the back to hold it in position might work.

Good ideas. I’ll be thinking along those lines as Im measuring and playing with different materials and how they act in certain circumstances. I’m going to try to look at other riders setup to see what they’re doing too. I was hoping someone would have a picture of their setup. I figure others have tried to deal with this.

Hah, ride a XR280 in those conditions and it bakes ceramic around Engine & pipe!  I wanted to fab a screen to go on each side of down pipe but never did.  The bike would be so heavy with mud it was miserable, sold it & went back to water cooled.  The fender extender should help though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Well I just started with an order of this just to start playing with something.. The glory of ebay! I'm not sure if it's good or not until it's here but it's just a start.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Crimped-304-Mesh-2-063-Cloth-Screen-12-x18/113011300078?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

I'm also seeing that maybe lowering the coverage of the back of the front fender might be an option..  I've got lots of old fenders and rivets or something to help limit mud flying up by extending further downward.. a mud flap there might be ugly but that's another thought.. just playing around with different ideas.

That screen may come apart if not welded together. We've used a section off of an old fender to increase length like your thinking. I found it best to use a rear flap. It's more flexible and will shake the mud off of itself. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chriscoffmon said:

That screen may come apart if not welded together. We've used a section off of an old fender to increase length like your thinking. I found it best to use a rear flap. It's more flexible and will shake the mud off of itself. 

Maybe.. I will see how it looks when it comes. I was thinking of a variety of ideas to make the border stronger for mounting. All these ideas are great though figuring a strategy.Different ways to remove the screen or to drop it down for cleaning is another thing. Once the first prototype goes on then it’s testing to see if it works or if not.

Screen came today . Somehow I didn’t expect a roll. It’s actually nice looking. I’m wondering about the outside bordet of the screen all the way around the finished piece. Im wondering if I should make a bout a 3/4 inch border bent over all the way around.. or if I should get another material to do a border... Then it’s figuring on how to attach and to take off easy enough to clean sometimes.

D4946BDB-5127-483A-B5FE-7AEEF81D80BF.jpeg