why not cut screen to leave 2-3" pieces sticking past the square in places all around the square and just wire it directly on or wrap around and wire to itself? 

I have the guard for emperor racing and its awesome. I was worried about it packing up but it doesnt. Maybe its more open around the pipe> 

Not sure but interested to hear how that works as there are times when id put it on for a specific race. 

or.. what about an upside-down ''T" coming off of the bottom of the front fender? like a mudflap T thats curved slightly to clear frame and steering.. 

spitballing here.. 

• Like 1

All viable ideas.. Thanks. Im changing strategies as Im moving through this and touching and seeing the materials up close. One thing is clear is the screen cuts and pokes you on the edges. It’s sharp. I want some insulation from being cut. Im Open to a variety of options. Im figuring things will change for better options. Zip ties come to mind for attaching to the ptech combo guard. There’s already a variety of drilled holes around the guard to mount

1F308C4D-FEF1-4DC9-861A-D7B9E9EC0851.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Make a border from two pieces of sheet aluminum and sandwich the screen between the aluminum with pop-rivets. You could also make mounting tabs, ears, holes, etc in the sheet aluminum.

Edited by DirtAndBass
  • Like 1

A friend just saw the thread and sent me a pic what he has on his bike and he says it’s kept all the grass and debris away for a year and a half. He said it cost him a dollar or so lol.. He says it works good. Awesome. Funny I picked pretty much the same size squares . I’m stoked since he rides where I ride so I know it works. 

159A7202-0936-4353-80B9-1B7F9527103A.jpeg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 3

Made a rough cardboard template and matched it to the stainless screen. I don’t know how good this will turn out.. the screen is against the header so Im wondering about vibration. Oh well. Just trying and will see how it goes. Cut some hose long ways for the edges and just got some zip ties.

828DDE54-E937-4E68-9AFB-C20DBCBC5485.jpeg

53B373D0-2863-4778-8535-826C6CECB1CB.jpeg

CF6ECAB5-54CA-4757-8F1B-F6E80A2B35E2.jpeg

That's awesome man! Came out really well! I was looking for something that could be removable so I can attach it jstt for races. Right on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freemotion said:

That's awesome man! Came out really well! I was looking for something that could be removable so I can attach it jstt for races. Right on!

Well we will see. Im not happy yet because the header touches the screen. I hope it won’t have an ugly vibration sound like I suspect it could. The stainless screen is harder to cut than I thought. I have to find a better shears that is more heavy duty. I have one but where? 

I’ll try and see how it fits tomorrow. It should work for limiting brush and mud etc... We shall see how it fits . Hey it’s the first attempt . I’ll make more adjustments later too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Freemotion said:

Yea zipties are good for now. That screen is so sharp. I was cutting and poking myself a bunch trying to cut it. Sheet metal shears aren’t good enough. I got by but it was a pain in the ass. I had another big set of shears but it was a little loose and was binding when trying to cut. 

4 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Well we will see. Im not happy yet because the header touches the screen. I hope it won’t have an ugly vibration sound like I suspect it could. The stainless screen is harder to cut than I thought. I have to find a better shears that is more heavy duty. I have one but where? 

I’ll try and see how it fits tomorrow. It should work for limiting brush and mud etc... We shall see how it fits . Hey it’s the first attempt . I’ll make more adjustments later too. 

Exactly, first prototype. Im with you on the vibration being undesired. that could be an ugly clang or buzzing the whole time. perhaps some rubber gromets where mounted. 

that stuff looks tough. sheers look like theyd take some elbow grease. Id be using a dremel or grinder with cutting wheel f i could. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Freemotion said:

Exactly, first prototype. Im with you on the vibration being undesired. that could be an ugly clang or buzzing the whole time. perhaps some rubber gromets where mounted. 

that stuff looks tough. sheers look like theyd take some elbow grease. Id be using a dremel or grinder with cutting wheel f i could. 

Im concerned rubber grommets might not work so close to the cylinder exhaust.. might melt? Idk.. Im going to look into getting a piece of hard wood or try to figure something else out to deaden sound. Im thinking  I can try guava wood. It’s plentiful and easy to work with here. I could put a couple of pieces maybe in between the header and the screen. That’s if the vibration sucks and sounds irritating.

• Like 1

Well put it on and started it up and no funky sounds so far.. gotta ride on a muddy day and see if It works. 

You can see my nifty groovy uni airbox vents on my sidecover too.. guaranteed to add 90 horse power for those races to the first turn embarrassing 450 and 500s as I wheelie in first place flashing my left handed peace sign. 

EAB504DE-1B42-47F7-8808-2F2DD193A266.jpeg

4DE07B3A-29CD-4F4E-AF9A-D1617A6B647D.jpeg

6D39342E-8791-4F54-9B55-56739172AC07.jpeg

• Like 1