What enduro/woods mods can I do to my YZ...?

Looking for some more long term enduro or woods oriented mods for my YZ250 as my dream bike is a kitted out YZ250 woods weapon.

I have so far:

- Wrap around guards

- Plastic Skidplate (tried a metal one and it drove me crazy from rattling even with foam)

- gripper seat cover (coming in the mail next week)

- 18” rear wheel/21” front from tusk (on backorder)

- gripper frame guards (on backorder)

- FMF Gnarly and Powercore 2

- Crf front brake kit

- ims pegs

- squish mod

- wr trans swap

- oversized rads from gpi

- tugger strap

Want to possibly try some new bars as my renthals are twinwalls and i dont really like the sweep and responsiveness of them... recommendations? Within reason.

Also new levers. Recommendations? Within reason.

Rad guards for sure, over sized radiators not really needed unless yours are junk. My son and I have never over heated our YZ's I thirteen years of riding in some pretty nasty woods riding.  Do a 270mm rotor on the front and a braided line. Rear rotor guard, TM design chain guide and a pipe guard for the Gnarly.

• Like 1

Rad braces and a big tank. I don't go crazy on expensive levers since bark busters basically protect them. Maybe a rekluse....I have one for sale.

Had a 3.2 gal tank that came with the bike when purchased. Sold it because i am not racing and we usually dont ride for more than 20 miles at a time before going back to the truck. As for levers i have been looking for some but i want shorty in blue or black. I have a set of ebay $20 levers but 1 tip over and they bent all up..
  • Like 1

Just now, RidingWithStyle said:

Looking into some works connection ones. Bought new rads when i did my full motor rebuild. Will probably get some soon if i can find them in black.

I have Enduro Engineering. Pretty nice units but not sure if they make em for YZ250. They retain the stock louvre setup which is fine with me. 

I would buy them again FWIW.

If you’re looking for shorty levers, check out righteous stunt clutch, you can get them in any color. I really like them, favorite cable clutch I’ve ever used. Lifetime crash warranty and made in USA too. Brake side I’m running a renthal intellilever, it’s very nice and unbreakable but no color options.

Rad guards - I like bulletproof designs, also lifetime warranty and made in USA. They won’t fit unless your rads are in perfect shape though. I don’t think you need oversized radiators, all the 300s I ride with overheat before my yz250 w stock rads does.

Bars - I like Renthal fat bars in RC high, great bend for standing a lot like I do in the woods. I cut them down a bit for better clearance between trees and such.

Skid plates - I’d look for a plastic one that has a linkage guard built in, it helps slide over logs. TM makes one (only avail on their site), AXP makes one, SXSlide makes one, and AXP and SXSlide also sell plastic linkage guards you can add on to your existing skid plate. 

I have a 11 oz fly wheel weight, Acerbis tank, resprung/revalved suspension on my 06 yz250 plus the usual guards(msr bark busters, moose rad guards and tmd skid plate). 

I have stock 7/8 bars with 15 or 20mm risers, I'm happy with them but everyone likes different bars. I run stock levers, with bark busters they never break. 

I mostly ride in the woods and my bike has every mod I want.

Forgot about the 9oz i had. Havent added it because its honestly too light for woods riding. At least the type i do. Its more for real fast mx riding.

Weight isn’t the only factor.

It’s mass x distance from center that determines the momentum. The GYTR has its mass far from the center so the effective momentum is greater. Plus it’s a pull and replace rather than a bolt on.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Already done. Had fork seals and fluid done like 2 weeks ago.

Rather than a refurb, 

I think the suggestion was rather for a revalve (front and back) better suited to woods riding versus the stiff MX settings.

MX internal settings are often detrimental to traction in off-road situations (rocks, roots etc.)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

If you’re looking for shorty levers, check out righteous stunt clutch, you can get them in any color. I really like them, favorite cable clutch I’ve ever used. Lifetime crash warranty and made in USA too. Brake side I’m running a renthal intellilever, it’s very nice and unbreakable but no color options.
Rad guards - I like bulletproof designs, also lifetime warranty and made in USA. They won’t fit unless your rads are in perfect shape though. I don’t think you need oversized radiators, all the 300s I ride with overheat before my yz250 w stock rads does.
Bars - I like Renthal fat bars in RC high, great bend for standing a lot like I do in the woods. I cut them down a bit for better clearance between trees and such.
Skid plates - I’d look for a plastic one that has a linkage guard built in, it helps slide over logs. TM makes one (only avail on their site), AXP makes one, SXSlide makes one, and AXP and SXSlide also sell plastic linkage guards you can add on to your existing skid plate. 

I just got the Righteous Stunt Clutch and it is really terrific. Get the smallest of the 3 sizes. It works for 1 or 2 fingers. The middle size is still too big for just two fingers.
  • Like 1

Studhaeuser nailed it as far as i'm concerned!

send off your suspension and have it sprung & valved for your weight & ability.

maybe a V-force or Radvalve, get your jetting spot on, quality handguards of your choice.

AND hundreds of hrs of seat time...

our YZ's are an amazing machine right off the showroom floor!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Looking for some more long term enduro or woods oriented mods for my YZ250 as my dream bike is a kitted out YZ250 woods weapon.

I have so far:

- Wrap around guards

- Plastic Skidplate (tried a metal one and it drove me crazy from rattling even with foam)

- gripper seat cover (coming in the mail next week)

- 18” rear wheel/21” front from tusk (on backorder)

- gripper frame guards (on backorder)

- FMF Gnarly and Powercore 2

- Crf front brake kit

- ims pegs

- squish mod

- wr trans swap

- oversized rads from gpi

- tugger strap

Want to possibly try some new bars as my renthals are twinwalls and i dont really like the sweep and responsiveness of them... recommendations? Within reason.

Also new levers. Recommendations? Within reason.

• GYTR flywheel
  • retard timing 2 degrees
  • #40 power jet "mod"