Bad decision to get new drz400s

Hello 

I've had my drz400s a month ago i have  a friend that has rm450 he can ride wherever he wants offroad very strong bike and for climbing hills also very good i was wondering if i did a bad decision to buy that bike since its new and every time i try to climb or do something that looks easy that the rm do i would fall and make scratches to the bike i am not very experinced guy this is my first dirtbike i used to ride sport bikes so did i do bad decision on buying the drz400s i am concendering to sell it i've lost already alot of its price cause of the scratches and i will get a motocross some advices about the issue would be good guy

Thank you

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, William1 said:

You have a trail bike, your friend, a race MX bike. You bike will last a lot longer because it is not as highly stressed.

As far as falling, it is 90% the rider and 10% the bike. Ride within your ability and practice, you will eventually not fall.

So if i use to clim hills is it ok you think my point is comparing my bike to his bike will i be able to catch up on any hill that he climb with the rm

Just now, faris114 said:

So if i use to clim hills is it ok you think my point is comparing my bike to his bike will i be able to catch up on any hill that he climb with the rm

Depends on a lot. Mostly rider skill. His bike is faster, has more power. But, he will have to fix his bike more than you will have to fix yours due to wear and tear. Your bikes engine will last 5 times longer. Over time, you will be riding more and spending less.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, William1 said:

Depends on a lot. Mostly rider skill. His bike is faster, has more power. But, he will have to fix his bike more than you will have to fix yours due to wear and tear. Your bikes engine will last 5 times longer. Over time, you will be riding more and spending less.

I think its a myth his bike made 245 hours on the same engine its 2015 year model i think it depends on the rider

• Like 1

I think its a myth his bike made 245 hours on the same engine its 2015 year model i think it depends on the rider
It's not a myth. A DRZ will go 1000 + hours, your buddies bike is due for a rebuild.

You bought the wrong bike for hill climbing with MX bikes. Your buddy is also an &%$#@! for talking you in to trying to follow him. He is laughing at you as you slowly destroy that brand new bike. Sell it and buy a good used 2 stroke 250.
  • Like 3

I should note that back in 2000 I went riding/ hill climbing with a guy on a kicker down in southern Ohio. He didn't have any issue with hills. On some he probably had an advantage over me and my other buddy on 250 2Ts. Granted, that bike has a pretty big power and weight advantage over a stock S. Not to mention OP is probably riding on the death wing tires still...

• Like 2

The DRZ is a distinctly different bike than the 450. If you thought they were similar, well you are wrong. If you are falling a lot it likely isn't the bike, it's more likely your riding skills....and they need improvement. Scratches on a dirtbike are not only to be expected, they are part of riding......you should see my old 2003 DRZ!! 

Sign up for some offroad riding classes or find someone to help you grow your offroad riding skills. And remember, 90% rider.

• Like 3

You could possibly come off a 450 a lot more.the drz should be a lot better for you starting out.Its power is smooth,and predictable.The 450 is abrupt,  and you could find yourself in a world of trouble if it breaks traction. As stated ,ride within your own limits,and don't try to do whatever a more experienced person is doing if you don't feel confident. Regardless of bike,please remember  "a good rider can ride ANY bike well

• Like 5

The DRZ does a lot of things, but none of them better than a purpose built bike. It can be a track day bike (SM), but no where near was well as a purpose built supermoto or super sport. It can be a good trail bike, but it’s no KTM/WR. If you need a plated dirt bike it’s a great budget choice. It can be built into a specialized bike too. But off the showroom floor, it’s not great in any one area. It’s a $6,000 bike that needs another $2-$4k to finish it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, faris114 said:

Hello 

.... i have  a friend that has rm450 he can ride wherever he wants offroad ..........

........every time i try to climb or do something that looks easy that the rm do i would fall and make scratches to the bike i am not very experinced guy this is my first dirtbike i used to ride sport bikes.......

I promise you that if you got on his RMZ450, you would have the same results that you currently have on your DRZ400S.  

Off road riding requires a lot of skill.  It takes a long time to get that amount of skill.  The DRZ400S is definitely not at fault in this situation.  

You need more practice.  Trust me.  

• Like 6

Yup,

Bike is about 10% of the equation. Find some places to practise.  Seat time and key skills is the key (and fitness) I would not hesitate to bring my DRZ to your RM party.  I have a friend who can ride anything about 2x better than me. He currently rides his 1990 dr350 around me when the going gets really technical, although as a good mate he walks back and offers ride my bike out for me if its really tough.  Usually as I don't take him up on that offer but always listen to his tips and tricks.  Hang in there, get some lessons and seat time and go enjoy riding your bike.  The challenge is you and the hill not you and your mate.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, faris114 said:

Hello 

I've had my drz400s a month ago i have  a friend that has rm450 he can ride wherever he wants offroad very strong bike and for climbing hills also very good i was wondering if i did a bad decision to buy that bike since its new and every time i try to climb or do something that looks easy that the rm do i would fall and make scratches to the bike i am not very experinced guy this is my first dirtbike i used to ride sport bikes so did i do bad decision on buying the drz400s i am concendering to sell it i've lost already alot of its price cause of the scratches and i will get a motocross some advices about the issue would be good guy

Thank you

Just been thinking.  This book helped a friends 14 year old son (who I've adopted as my riding buddy off-road (DRZ250)) . It makes for some good reading.

5b1f622c52dbe_DirtRiding.jpg.f7e0e055684026d767f39c463a27bbab.jpg

"Many motorcyclists got their start on a dirt bike, and many more have learned the joy and freedom of trail riding and adventure touring. Affordable, easy to ride and fun, dirt bikes are a great way to enjoy the great outdoors and build riding skills. This book covers riding and wrenching basics, as well as more advanced X-games style tricks. The "Total Dirt Rider Manual" from Pete Peterson and the Editors of "Dirt Rider" magazine. Gear: From how to buy the best bike to evaluating a used ride; suit up for style safety, and comfort. Also learn how to adapt your gear to a wide range of riding conditions. Riding: Dirt riding is not just a great form of outdoor recreation, it's a sport in its own right, and this book has the information you need to enjoy a casual day on the trails or to compete year round. Wrenching: "Dirt Rider" is renowned for its "Dr. Dirt" feature, which breaks down repairs from the everyday to the highly specialized into simple, step-by-step tutorials. This book features the best of those, allowing any rider to become their own mechanic and save money. Suspension: A bike's suspension is vital, expensive to fix, and tricky to diagnose. If there's one thing off-road riders crave, it's the ability and know-how to do this maintenance themselves. This special section delivers with clear, detailed but quick-to-grasp, tips from America's top race-bike mechanics; this section alone could save a rider thousands of dollars. Whether you enjoy trail-riding and exploring the backcountry, aspiring to motocross stardom, wondering how they do those amazing freestyle flips, this book is packed with hands-on, off-road tips and tricks to get you there and keep you moving." - Blurb from book.  See if its at your local library.