Bad decision to get new drz400s

Thank you guys all for replays lets put this way i tried riding the rm450 of my friend it feels very hard offroading which made me like my drz more but i have to mention one thing before i did buy the drz i made alot of researchs and all i could see is that the drz is low budegt maintanence and this is why i bought the bike i must mention that i bought only for offroad purposes and now i found my self stuck with that bike mainly i have one problem is that the bike is new and it cost me alot of money this why i am scared to ride offroad tough here comes the question regarding the body of it and what can i damage while riding how much would it cost me full body plastic kit?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, indy rider said:

Does the DRZ have the correct springs for you weight? And, have you set your sag?

Don't give up on the bike yet. Get more seat time and spend some time setting the bike up to do what you want it to do.

What are springs and sag  would be nice if u explain

To have a good time on any dirtbike, you have to ride it like you stole it. If you are apprehensive about going over a rocky or rutted section because you are afraid of falling - you will fall. Look where you want to go and open the throttle. A lighter front tire, and speed, will take you over/ through/ around/ up just about everything. Fear=Falling. You have to let loose and enjoy the ride. 

• Like 4

The DRZ can't do anything good. But it can do everything. 

Get seat time. I bought a used DRZ and had the same thoughts as you. I thought I messed up big time. Bike is big, heavy, slow and feels like you're driving a damn tractor. 

PLEASE throw the stock tires away. Get real tires and after a few hours it will feel like you're a new man on a new bike. You just need to get used to it. No way a new rider on a DRZ is going to complete with a true offroad bike like your buddy has. 

Whatever you decide a DRZ holds its value very good. You could get a real offroad bike cheaper than a DRZ so thier is hope for you if you decide to swap bikes. 

I love mine, I wouldnt trade it for anything. But I do want a 2nd and 3rd bike already. Just dont let my DRZ know that I said that... 

• Like 2

Thank you guys all for replays lets put this way i tried riding the rm450 of my friend it feels very hard offroading which made me like my drz more but i have to mention one thing before i did buy the drz i made alot of researchs and all i could see is that the drz is low budegt maintanence and this is why i bought the bike i must mention that i bought only for offroad purposes and now i found my self stuck with that bike mainly i have one problem is that the bike is new and it cost me alot of money this why i am scared to ride offroad tough here comes the question regarding the body of it and what can i damage while riding how much would it cost me full body plastic kit?
Dang, don't know if its too late. Put your OEM's up. Buy some cheap plastics..
  • Like 3

Don't worry about it, or else you won't enjoy it. My friend babied his, was scared to go through a mud puddle. Rode it like such a sissy, wouldnt even run good. Pissed me off so much I quit riding with him.

Now my other buddy rode the thing like it owed him money, TOTALLY abused it. Bike ran so f'ng good. Off road vehicles are never good resale value.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Diverdown said:

Don't worry about it, or else you won't enjoy it. My friend babied his, was scared to go through a mud puddle. Rode it like such a sissy, wouldnt even run good. Pissed me off so much I quit riding with him.

Now my other buddy rode the thing like it owed him money, TOTALLY abused it. Bike ran so f'ng good. Off road vehicles are never good resale value.

+1 on the "resale" value..................:lol:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, faris114 said:

What are springs and sag  would be nice if u explain

There are springs in the forks and on the shock absorber. The springs basically control the ride height of the front and rear of the bike. Springs come in different spring rates, each working for a specific range of rider weights. Stock springs on full size bikes generally work for an average size rider, say 165-185lbs. Heavier or lighter riders will need to get the appropriate springs for their weight, to be able to set up the suspension properly.

The Sag is the most important adjustment you make to your bike. It is a measurement of how much your bike's suspension compresses. Exact sag numbers will vary between the different type and manufacturers but you generally want something between 30-40 free(static) sag and 95-110 race(rider) sag. Free sag is a measurement of how much the bike compresses under it's own weight and race sag is how much it compresses when you mount the bike. 

Google...Setting sag...for the exact process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Signman606 said:

+1 on the "resale" value..................:lol:

-2 on the resale............. :smirk:

Heck, bikes must be for buying, not selling!:banana:

Anyway, when I bought mine in 2005, it was just fine for my riding level. Thirteen years later and progressing along in mods, it still works well. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

On 6/11/2018 at 0:18 PM, faris114 said:

Hello 

I've had my drz400s a month ago i have  a friend that has rm450 he can ride wherever he wants offroad very strong bike and for climbing hills also very good i was wondering if i did a bad decision to buy that bike since its new and every time i try to climb or do something that looks easy that the rm do i would fall and make scratches to the bike i am not very experinced guy this is my first dirtbike i used to ride sport bikes so did i do bad decision on buying the drz400s i am concendering to sell it i've lost already alot of its price cause of the scratches and i will get a motocross some advices about the issue would be good guy

Thank you

you're right, the drz is not a mx bike... and buying a new drz just doesn't make sense.

the rm450 is a beast.. but that won't make up for your new-rider skills. pick up a second bike like the ktm200 (2t) and beat on it a few years. you'll pick up a ton of skill riding off road, on a bike you don't care about scratching

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 11:58 AM, faris114 said:

I think its a myth his bike made 245 hours on the same engine its 2015 year model i think it depends on the rider

My 2006 E has just over 500 hrs with the engine never being opened up for anything other than valve checks and oil changes. Runs just as strong as the day I bought it. Cost per mile will be much lower on the Z

• Like 2

while not an mx bike, i've always thought the drz was one of the best hill climbers i've owned.

it's weight and linear power help. keep it balanced and it will cllimb.

• Like 1

Re gearing the bike will help a lot, especially if you want to trail ride, the are a few good sprocket calculators online that will help you figure out what size sprockets you will need. The larger the sprocket, the more torque you will have, but less overall speed

If you set up your bike properly (better tires, suspension adjusted/resprung, better gearing, etc.) it will do pretty well offroad. Don’t blame the bike because you lack experience and skills offroad, learn to ride it first. A couple weeks ago I rode to an atv Park with a bunch of friends on quads and dirtbikes, it surprised the hell out of everyone when I went everywhere the quads went and kept pace with the KTM’s in the single track. After we were done riding they loaded up their trailers and trucks and I rode mine home (covered in mud head to tow lol). Spend the time to practice different riding skills on different terrain. If you constantly practice on the roughest terrain you can find trail riding and hill climbing will be easy. Your bike will never be as fast as his RMZ though...

• Like 2