Slipping clutch??????

Sooooo my clutch slips at high rpm only when I’m really givinr the juice, could this be a worn clutch? Or do my springs need to be tightened up a bit? Bike doesn’t clunk into gear or anything shifts smooth just at high rpm it revs out and doesn’t grab properly.

Before you start tearing the bike down, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly at the lever (freeplay)

First make sure there is free play at the lever.
If there is and it is still slipping, get a digital caliper from Harbor Freight ($10), pull it apart and check it. Mine was slipping at mid rpm and heavy throttle in 5th. Turns out my springs were out of spec.

Luckily the clutch is really easy to get to on this bike.

Posted (edited)

Just out of curiosity but as a cheap/quick fix is it possible to put a spacer or washers between the bolt head and pressure plate spring? Would this make the springs grip a littlle better in the short term or not a good idea.My clutch is fine i was just wondering..

Where i live its not always possibe to buy spare parts of the shelf so mail order is the way,we have Fowlers motorcycles who keep a lot of stock but any obscure items is non stock from them,having said that i just checked their website and clutch springs are currently in stock!

Edited by mynameis

I think the retainer on the bolt seats on the posts on the clutch basket. My springs were nearly .040" below spec when I replaced them.

7 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

I think the retainer on the bolt seats on the posts on the clutch basket. My springs were nearly .040" below spec when I replaced them.

Doh! Of course they do.Any washer or spacer would have to fit over the posts,which i dont think would be possible because of the lack of room inthe holes in the pressure plate.Never thought about that.lol