Wiring DC headlight? Do I need a regulator?

I plan on wiring my DC led headlight using a bridge rectifier to convert AC to DC using VegasRomaniacs instructions. Do I need a regulator if I’m using the rectifier? Where would the best place be to wire the switch in? Here’s his schematic:IMG_2057.JPG

I recommend using a regulator/rectifier, and I don't think you need the diode since the rect uses diodes. The motorcycle electrical system has a lot of electrical noise because of the ignition and the cap acts as a filter to help the reg to work better.  A 10,000ufd 50volt  cap is all you need.

Any Honda rect/reg will work, or an aftermarket unit.  You didn't say what year XR200, early ones used an internally grounded stator (blue wire out) and later ones have a floating ground (pink and yellow wires out). Some of the XRs use a 4 wire AC regulator that look like a DC rectifier. 

• Like 1

I have a 50amp bridge rectifier from eBay and a 50v 10,000 cap. I have the later model stator. I think I’ll be good if that’s all I need. I need to make sure the connections are water proof. I ride in mud and all weather. So I just need to round one stator wire and run the other to the rectifier?

• 3 weeks later...

you need a regulator. i have seen motorcycle stators put out 70vAC and high rpm without a regulator. if you put a rectifier on you will get dc but it still might get up to 50-60vdc and blow out your electrical. get a reg/rec assembly or get an ac regulator and use your rectifier if you want. if you just want to run a headlight you don't need a rectifier, but then you cant use a capacitor. you also want to use a "full bridge rectifier". just using a diode will cause more flicker than just running it on AC. 

Edited by MCRIPPPer

the usual reason for a battery is to be street legal and so the lights don't dim as much when the brake light or turn signals come on. a motorcycle works totally different form a car, where you really need the battery to stabilize the alternator output. 

The cap stops more than flickering. The ignition system shares ground with the light system and creates a lot of electrical noise that causes the regulator to over react.  Using a good battery, or a capacitor, on the DC side filters out the noise so the regulator can function properly. The symptom of poor regulation is the headlight dimming as engine speed increases.

• Like 2