The KTM 300 Club

33 minutes ago, dittohead said:

It’s a 09 300xc. Bought it “with a new piston” but it actually needed a cyl replate. $680 for that with a new wiseco piston

Every bearing replaced

Silencer absolutely plugged solid so I couldn’t jet it

Suspension needed rebuilding, fork now leaking oil out the bleeders after 30hrs on them

Crank seal

Clutch failed

Clutch Slave leaking

E start never works even though I’ve done all the “upgrades”

Endlessly chasing the jetting

I’m sure there is more but that’s the bulk of it. Had the bike 1.5 years. Spent a lot of time in the garage working on it. I’m getting close to getting it right but I’m ready to get a 2017 or newer lol

Sounds like you bought a heavily used bike that hadn’t been maintained. Regardless of brand, these types of bikes are out there and leave a sour taste in the owner’s mouth. 

Sounds like you bought a heavily used bike that hadn’t been maintained. Regardless of brand, these types of bikes are out there and leave a sour taste in the owner’s mouth. 

You are absolutely right, it was definitely used. For the money I paid for it I knew it wouldn’t be mint and in my area just finding a used 300 is a challenge so my options were limited. I looked at a couple that were newer (a lot more $$$) and they were in similar condition. These bikes are generally bought by people who ride them hard and often, so I get how they tend to get beat down. It’s still a bit of a beater even after everything I’ve done to it but i don’t care, it’s the best dirtbike I’ve owned by a long shot
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, dittohead said:

You are absolutely right, it was definitely used. For the money I paid for it I knew it wouldn’t be mint and in my area just finding a used 300 is a challenge so my options were limited. I looked at a couple that were newer (a lot more $$$) and they were in similar condition. These bikes are generally bought by people who ride them hard and often, so I get how they tend to get beat down. It’s still a bit of a beater even after everything I’ve done to it but i don’t care, it’s the best dirtbike I’ve owned by a long shot

With enough care and attention they all come round and what you have now is a good bike on the mend.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

1/4 mile drag strip of course...

I would like to see that. Proper gearing and tires. It would be a close one. Probably come down to rider.

Has any one used this Athena (P400270850034) kit on their rebuild? Does it include crankshaft seals? I have a rebuild priced out to about $300 with piston. Not sure what the jug looks like yet. 

Edited by theBIGnaud

Picked up my 19 300XC this week!  Some nice updates to plastic and chassis (like the latest 450 Factory Edition).  Thinner shrouds and slimmer rear end.  New pipe is way different - oval shaped up front and tucked in better.  A few pics.....

IMG_5450-1.JPG

IMG_5448-1.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453-1.JPG

• Like 14

I notice it in the mid to upper range when wrapping both out. The 250 pulls through this while the 300 signs off more noticeably. The 300 has that low end grunt advantage which is obvious. Both are fun and fast as hell! I could see the 250 sneaking away in a straight line ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

I notice it in the mid to upper range when wrapping both out. The 250 pulls through this while the 300 signs off more noticeably. The 300 has that low end grunt advantage which is obvious. Both are fun and fast as hell! I could see the 250 sneaking away in a straight line ?

A few tweaks and we can fix the that right up. Watch three double douse do moon runs.

18 hours ago, mxengineer4 said:

Picked up my 19 300XC this week!  Some nice updates to plastic and chassis (like the latest 450 Factory Edition).  Thinner shrouds and slimmer rear end.  New pipe is way different - oval shaped up front and tucked in better.  A few pics.....

IMG_5450-1.JPG

IMG_5448-1.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453-1.JPG

I think the 18's look better IMO. Love the orange frame. That new pipe design is a great touch though.

On 6/21/2018 at 0:37 AM, dittohead said:

For the money I paid for it I knew it wouldn’t be mint and in my area just finding a used 300 is a challenge so my options were limited. I looked at a couple that were newer (a lot more $$$) and they were in similar condition. 

I found that used KTMs seem to be in one of two states: ridden hard and pretty worn out, or used by an old coot and hardly used at all. Rarely do you see one in a "OK but used" condition. The hardly used ones seem to sell for prices that are hardly lower than new

• Like 5

I found that used KTMs seem to be in one of two states: ridden hard and pretty worn out, or used by an old coot and hardly used at all. Rarely do you see one in a "OK but used" condition. The hardly used ones seem to sell for prices that are hardly lower than new

I would tend to agree with you on that. Been kinda looking at used 17/18s lately and they are either beat or next to new with basically new prices. I’ll end up getting a beat up used one I’m sure lol

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, Foul said:

Just bought a 18 300 xcw tonight. Don’t even pick it up until tomorrow but I’m excitedIMG_0085.JPG

Just wondering what those 3m stickers are. Mine came with the much larger wp fork stickers protectors or what ever they are. Don't understand why some dealers don't put them on.

GOPR0043.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ktmHolland said:

Just wondering what those 3m stickers are. Mine came with the much larger wp fork stickers protectors or what ever they are. Don't understand why some dealers don't put them on.

GOPR0043.JPG

Those 3m stickers are the large ones for the forks, they're tucked into the folder.  I had to put mine on also. They can be a little tricky and I think that' why some dealers don' do it.....or they're just lazy. I got in a hurry and fugged one up, got another from the dealer and took my time and they came out perfect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Summit said:

Those 3m stickers are the large ones for the forks, they're tucked into the folder.  I had to put mine on also. They can be a little tricky and I think that' why some dealers don' do it.....or they're just lazy. I got in a hurry and fugged one up, got another from the dealer and took my time and they came out perfect.

I should of looked closer lol. I got mine on ok just not centered like all the other ones I've seen. 

Joined the club a couple of months ago!

Bought 2018 300xc for something different for Vet MX. Big change from rmz250f, but ALOT of fun. Still fine tuning little, and will have the suspension firmed up, as it is little soft in the second half of the stroke for MX, but enjoying it so far!

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

• Like 7