The KTM 300 Club

Concerning spark arrestors , I'll interject a question/rant here...looking at FMF turbine core to get legal I see that near every slip on is in the $160 range and then when I find one for the '19XC it's $230! and anodized black (YAY! expensiver and will show scratches) anybody know how far off the fit is from the '18s? Also might have gone with the enduro engineering endcap but I didn't want a screen...to the best of my knowledge the turbine core has no screen (maintenance) but can't find a picture of what the guts look like, if anyone knows...

On 1/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, Pozo Bozo said:

My buddy bought this same bike a year ago this month and has put 100 hours on it. It’s been awesome for him. Almost zero problems.
Make sure you check the screen in the end of your silencer, they tend to clog after a few hours.

6 minutes ago, luckypunk said:

Concerning spark arrestors , I'll interject a question/rant here...looking at FMF turbine core to get legal I see that near every slip on is in the $160 range and then when I find one for the '19XC it's $230! and anodized black (YAY! expensiver and will show scratches) anybody know how far off the fit is from the '18s? Also might have gone with the enduro engineering endcap but I didn't want a screen...to the best of my knowledge the turbine core has no screen (maintenance) but can't find a picture of what the guts look like, if anyone knows...

It’s a krizman style spark arrestor like every other non screen type arrestor. It’s an assembly of aluminum in a swirl pattern that is supposed to arrest the spark (if emitted) before it leaves the bike. 

I’d shop a pro circuit type 296 if cost is a concern. The 2.1 is crazy money imo. 

• Like 4

It’s a krizman style spark arrestor like every other non screen type arrestor. It’s an assembly of aluminum in a swirl pattern that is supposed to arrest the spark (if emitted) before it leaves the bike. 
I’d shop a pro circuit type 296 if cost is a concern. The 2.1 is crazy money imo. 
I had a turbine core on my cr250, ill tell you the issue i have with the swirly doodle spark arrestors.... if you unknowingly are running rich one day (the swirly doodles dont spooge like normal silencers, takes a long time and it collects) then get to run wide open for a good bit, they can catch fire. It happened to me on 2 seperate occasions, 2 different bikes, one not even mine. Spark arrestors will start on fire, save the forest and run a straight through design with high flashpoint packing.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, hondaman331 said:
45 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Read more  

I had a turbine core on my cr250, ill tell you the issue i have with the swirly doodle spark arrestors.... if you unknowingly are running rich one day (the swirly doodles dont spooge like normal silencers, takes a long time and it collects) then get to run wide open for a good bit, they can catch fire. It happened to me on 2 seperate occasions, 2 different bikes, one not even mine. Spark arrestors will start on fire, save the forest and run a straight through design with high flashpoint packing.

You’re not talking to a two stroke pro spark arrestor guy. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, SmokeX said:

Man that sucks. If it were stolen from your garage, home owners would take care of it. ;-)

Not really, my homeowners (USAA) doesn't cover M/C's in garage or otherwise.   However they send you over to Progressive as a Usaa member linked.  Anyway, was insured, collected on it … still out big bucks since they have to depreciate.  Had the extra coverage for accessories … (keep your receipts people), so took some of the sting out.   So now I have the fun of building a bike all over again.  Yeah, should be fun … but still, I loved that inanimate object.  '17 KTM-300 XC/W, Vforce, Scotts Damper, Tubluss, Suspension lowered (need to touch ground) and tuned, Rekluse, plus many other details.  I was with friend in WA, checking off bucket list item, and it was stolen out of locked enclosed trailer … damn, turn your back and, man.  Just got back from running Baja1000 (the 300 was used for pre-run, and race bike stolen too '19 500 EXC).

Ok, I feel better.  Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 1

Not really, my homeowners (USAA) doesn't cover M/C's in garage or otherwise.   However they send you over to Progressive as a Usaa member linked.  Anyway, was insured, collected on it … still out big bucks since they have to depreciate.  Had the extra coverage for accessories … (keep your receipts people), so took some of the sting out.   So now I have the fun of building a bike all over again.  Yeah, should be fun … but still, I loved that inanimate object.  '17 KTM-300 XC/W, Vforce, Scotts Damper, Tubluss, Suspension lowered (need to touch ground) and tuned, Rekluse, plus many other details.  I was with friend in WA, checking off bucket list item, and it was stolen out of locked enclosed trailer … damn, turn your back and, man.  Just got back from running Baja1000 (the 300 was used for pre-run, and race bike stolen too '19 500 EXC).

I have usaa/progressive also. Definitely need the accessory rider it does have limit though. Love USAA never had a problem. Did t have to deal with the progressive side yet/ thankfully. That really stinks what happened to you. Enjoy building the new bike.

1 hour ago, chuckerdon said:

If you are looking to replace the race bike I have a 2016 500 for sale if interested?

Edited by BigEmofo
Add link

58 minutes ago, BigEmofo said:

If you are looking to replace the race bike I have a 2016 500 for sale if interested?

Thanks BigEmofo, just the same.  I'm all in on the 300's.  Not really quite sold on the Tpi's just yet.  If anyone has a gently used 2017 or '18 I'd take a look.  I'm in Western PA

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a place to get a replacement cylinder for an 08 300 XC-W? Mine looked almost on the verge of replating or replacement on my piston rebuild. Just got the bike with unknown hours and shipping out a cylinder to get it replated and shipped back to Hawaii is probably more than buying a good replacement.. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Chris

On 1/26/2019 at 6:52 PM, chuckerdon said:

This is the main reason I went with Nationwide for bikes, they are just great. My bikes are fully covered and my premium is little to nothing.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:14 PM, chuckerdon said:

Thanks BigEmofo, just the same.  I'm all in on the 300's.  Not really quite sold on the Tpi's just yet.  If anyone has a gently used 2017 or '18 I'd take a look.  I'm in Western PA

Where in Western Pa are you? Wonder if we know each other ?

I live around the Laurel area but ride everywhere. 

6 minutes ago, slytheslayer said:

Does anyone know of a place to get a replacement cylinder for an 08 300 XC-W? Mine looked almost on the verge of replating or replacement on my piston rebuild. Just got the bike with unknown hours and shipping out a cylinder to get it replated and shipped back to Hawaii is probably more than buying a good replacement.. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Chris

Ship to an APO, found it cheaper. Gotta find someone on the mainland to do it for you though.

Ship to an APO, found it cheaper. Gotta find someone on the mainland to do it for you though.

Not sure if I can ship APO to the mainland. I am in the Army but the post office here is useless on post. Normally I could if I was in Germany or Korea or something.. Maybe Someone in California would be cheapest I would bet, I'll have to look around for someone who does replating there.

2 minutes ago, slytheslayer said:

Not sure if I can ship APO to the mainland. I am in the Army but the post office here is useless on post. Normally I could if I was in Germany or Korea or something.. Maybe Someone in California would be cheapest I would bet, I'll have to look around for someone who does replating there.

Sorry I meant, have someone buy it here that you trust, and have them ship to your APO.

My brother is down there right now. Have you ridden with @hawaiidirtrider yet?

Sorry I meant, have someone buy it here that you trust, and have them ship to your APO.
My brother is down there right now. Have you ridden with [mention=153658]hawaiidirtrider[/mention] yet?

Aah gotcha..

Not sure I've ridden with a few people up at Kahuku. I took a nasty spill on an off camber cross at a steep down hill yesterday.. Tire hit a rut turned and I went straight over and halfway down the hill...

I'll definitely be on the look out for a buddy in the mainland who I could get to ship a cylinder to me as a spare.. Can't find them on eBay and brand new is crazy expensive...lol