2019 Honda Monkey - $4000, really?

All they did was put a Grom engine in a monkey chassis.  Easy thing for them to do, probably didn't require a lot of work on Honda's part for something that is going to most likely sell like crazy.

• Like 1

Yes, really.

Seems like half the people on this site can't comprehend that bikes now cost more than they did when they started riding back in the 19th century.

• Like 5

I'd never pay $4k for that thing. It costs more than their CB300F street bike.

• Like 7

Supply and demand.  Honda is making a boat load of money on the Groms, add a little retro styling and I'll bet they will be hard to keep in the stores.  That and it would be nice to get 100+ mpg on at least one of my machines.

If I wasn't concerned about how much of a fool I would look like riding one I'd buy one.  Unfortunately I look like a circus bear riding a tricycle on those bikes.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TheLastByte said:

Yes, really.

Seems like half the people on this site can't comprehend that bikes now cost more than they did when they started riding back in the 19th century.

I remember when you could get a Snickers bar for 25 cents. Those were the days...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, markmc2 said:

I remember when you could get a Snickers bar for 25 cents. Those were the days...

I remember when comic books were 10 cents. :goofy:

• Like 3

Minimum wage these days is edging close to $15/hr. When I was a kid, it was $0.75/hr and a DT100 cost $400. That tells me the Monkey would take 1/2 the number of hours work to purchase.

• Like 4

Lot of kids these days make minimum wage for much longer, and are up to their fashionably manicured eyebrows in debt.  Student loans, car debt, credit card, etc.

4k is a big chunk of change for an underpowered toy.  Can't really even imagine riding around with a chick on the back of that.

This bike looks awesome in pictures.  Imagine actually seeing it in real life.  Look at the attention to detail on it. There are zero crap parts on it.  If they wanted to make it cheap, they would have put plastic fenders, conventional forks, Halogen headlight, drum brakes and it crappy fuel injection.  The attention to detail is Harley like.  This is Honda we are talking about here. They can make quality bikes, but at what cost?   

• Like 1

Have you checked the price for a new ktm 350? You can thank them for the increase in msrp's. It all boils down to what the market will pay. People paying 10k plus for a dirt bike? Why not pump your prices up too?

These are sweet don't get me wrong, but we have a 1994 CT70 and I wouldn't be caught dead on the road riding that thing. It's so small and doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. While cool, these little bikes seem like an invitation to be ground meat on a soccer moms oil pan.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, vizcarmb said:

This bike looks awesome in pictures.  Imagine actually seeing it in real life.  Look at the attention to detail on it. There are zero crap parts on it.  If they wanted to make it cheap, they would have put plastic fenders, conventional forks, Halogen headlight, drum brakes and it crappy fuel injection.  The attention to detail is Harley like.  This is Honda we are talking about here. They can make quality bikes, but at what cost?   

Yah was gonna mention the attention to detail on the new Monkey is pretty impressive, def not a budget bike.  They hired some good, expensive designers.  I could see this attracting new motorcycle riders who pose pretty hard vs them getting scooters/ebikes, and that's a good thing.  

• Like 3

$4000 - pfffft nah i wouldnt use it - it would just sit there and collect dust

• Like 1

Those Groms are everywhere around me, I see about 15-20 of them on my way to work and back, When traffic back's up to a crawl, The dam things are riding everywhere in the median and right up next to ya, And right past ya, One just missed my side mirror:cripple: One of these day's And It's only a matter of time someone will open their door and take one Out!!:lol: 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, markmc2 said:

I remember when they were a nickel! For a dollar, you could get an Italian sub, a Dr. Pepper and a pack of ' Yankee Doodles'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, William1 said:

I remember when they were a nickel! For a dollar, you could get an Italian sub, a Dr. Pepper and a pack of ' Yankee Doodles'.

And 2c to make a call from a pay phone