YZX

Crf450r to Drz400s

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I’ve been inactive on here for a few years but want to get back into the forums. I used to ride a very decently built 03 Crf450r. Just sold it and got a 2017drz400s to be able to ride on the streets. I keep having mixed feelings about wanting another bike now just because this drz feels absolutely gutless compared to my old crf. Do you guys think I’ll get used to the lack of power? I miss being able to crack the throttle in 2nd and doing power wheelies hahah. Or would you guys suggest I ride this drz for a bit and then grab another dual sport??

1 person likes this

Hey guys, I’ve been inactive on here for a few years but want to get back into the forums. I used to ride a very decently built 03 Crf450r. Just sold it and got a 2017drz400s to be able to ride on the streets. I keep having mixed feelings about wanting another bike now just because this drz feels absolutely gutless compared to my old crf. Do you guys think I’ll get used to the lack of power? I miss being able to crack the throttle in 2nd and doing power wheelies hahah. Or would you guys suggest I ride this drz for a bit and then grab another dual sport?? 

Me personally didn't like the stock DRZ at all. I ordered a jet kit and pipe the 1st week. Do that and it will power wheelie in a few gears with stock gearing. If you want to go all in, a 434cc big bore kit, 39mm FCR, cams, and MRD Z Pro exhaust system will have the beans of a 2000's era 450 MX bike. Extra power greatly improves the bike's likability. 

5 people like this

2 hours ago, YZX said:

I used to ride a very decently built 03 Crf450r. Just sold it and got a 2017drz400s to be able to ride on the streets. I keep having mixed feelings about wanting another bike now just because this drz feels absolutely gutless compared to my old crf. Do you guys think I’ll get used to the lack of power? I miss being able to crack the throttle in 2nd and doing power wheelies hahah. Or would you guys suggest I ride this drz for a bit and then grab another dual sport??

If you need a plated bike, the DRZ is a good place to start. If you want competition style power, it's gonna take a few bucks.

2 people like this

If you need a plated bike, the DRZ is a good place to start. If you want competition style power, it's gonna take a few bucks.

Yep like $2,000+   

1 person likes this

Thanks for the info guys. I heard the fcr carbs really wake these up. I guess I’ll do some basic stuff and see how I like it then. Not looking to dump a crazy amount of money into it haha. Maybe time for a crotch rocket and another 450?

The new crf450l is coming out. What’s your guy’s opinion on that?

48 minutes ago, YZX said:

Thanks for the info guys. I heard the fcr carbs really wake these up. I guess I’ll do some basic stuff and see how I like it then. Not looking to dump a crazy amount of money into it haha. Maybe time for a crotch rocket and another 450?

The new crf450l is coming out. What’s your guy’s opinion on that?

We'll wait and see what the magazine's come up with on the CRF450l. I suspect it will be very choked up, but should have good potential. Probably be cheaper to dump in some mods on the DRZ.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Diverdown said:

Yep like $2,000+ emoji54.png  

Yep, that's about what I have in my pipe, carb, cams and flywheel. :D

1 person likes this

True it’ll definitely be chocked up but would probably be easier to tune back up to crf450x specs. I’ll wait a few more months I feel like the 450l will be a great bike

I think the L could go either way. If it will run 30k miles with only putting fuel in and changing the oil and air filter regularly I think it will be a huge hit. If it requires real dirt bike maintenance like a Beta, KTM, Husky, yet lacks their performance advantages, I think it will die at an early age.

Every one is assuming about that bike and you know what happens when you assume. Back in 98 magazines proclaimed the Cannondale 450 to be the bike of the year and the 2nd coming of Christ before it ever was released. That bike was a colossal failure.

5 people like this

even though i have a plated 450x, the DRZ is still my favorite all-around bike.

Do you mind me asking your reasoning behind that?
1 person likes this

With a big bore mine will power up in 3rd up to 50 mph with 15/38 gearing. I tired 13/38 and it would do stand up wheelies at 65 -70 in 5th with very little effort. Can't wait to see what a ported head and stroker crank adds.

5 people like this

How much does the 3x3 mod and jetting really help? Is it a night and day difference like people say??

I did 3x3 , dynojet kit and White Bros slip on at the same time. It was a pretty big difference. It could do low end wheelies in 1st and 2nd. Stock it could only pull the front end about a foot off the ground in 1st.

Be careful with the mods. It is very addictive with this bike because it responds very well. Suzuki did a great job taming the beast. The aftermarket unlocks the bike that Suzuki should of built.

4 people like this

IMG_9394.JPGIMG_9395.JPGIMG_9397.JPG
Did some things to the bike. Got rid of the stickers, re painted tank, put a fender eliminator light and some led signals !

2 people like this