85 i.t 200 fork upgrade

So, I've been looking to thin the herd a bit( I sold my 525 exc yesterday) and also get something modern to replace the 200 as a dedicated trail (tight woods) bike. I was going to buy a kdx 200/220 with the ktm $$$. I was a bit sad when the ktm left, but, not too bad. It will wane with time. But, I know that if I sold the 200 (actually both of them) that I would really regret it. I changed my mind and pulled the C.L ads today. It's such a great bike for what I do with it. My only complaints with the bike are the forks and the brakes. So, I'm looking to upgrade the forks and put a disc brake on front. My question is what forks can I put on it? Probably pretty limited. My buddy put a set of forks on his i.t from a y.z 125. They don't seem much better than the stockers. If I was to change the triple tree ( I think that's what it's called) how would I know what would be a proper fit? Would I have to take mine off and take some measurements? I'm ready to do this and be ready for fall!

Thanks. :ride:

2 minutes ago, Truman Sparks said:

Ya,  I was banned from there some years ago. But, IIRC,  I think about a year ago I logged onto it and I didn't get the "you are banned from using this site." LOL. I'll give that a try. Hadn't thought of that.Thanks! ?

For my 84 IT200  i went with a set from an 85 rm250 . The damper rod forks on the Suzuki's were so much better than then the Yamaha forks of the day. Used the forks, rim and brakes just slid them into the clamps. I can run a A level pace on the bike now. There not perfect but feel better than some of the newer upside down units ive owend. My 82 IT465 is also sporting  a set of Suzuki RM 43mm forks. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, Truman Sparks said:

So, I followed the link you provided and I didn't get any notices that I'm not allowed. It's been at least 7 years or so since I was booted from there. So, I went to register and there are 6 i.t related questions that you have to answer as part of the reg process. One question is "What was the last Yamaha IT model to be produced?" From their site, "History of the I.T." Says, 

In 1985 the only model produced was the IT200N which was pretty much identical to the IT200L. In 1986 the only model to be produced was the IT200S, which received a disk brake upgraded front end, at least they made the last model a good one!

But every time that I hit enter it comes back with an error message and tells me that IT200S is not the correct answer. :cool: Maybe the mods are just F'ing with me. :excuseme:

Ya. I read thru a bit. Theres a guy that used to be on T.T, zxr1200, or something similar, I saw some of his recent posts. I asked him a couple of years ago if he would go to the site administrators and plead my case for me and let me back on, but, I haven't hear back from him. Oh well. Lifes a bitch ?

Just now, GreenMT_Rider said:

I could ask the question , I'm on there too. I've only made a couple of post.

Maybe you could plead my case for me? When I was on there I was prplhzei.t200, or something close to that. You could ask Jok, or Joc, if he's still the one, that I've grown up and learned how to behave on internet forums. ?

• Like 1