Clake Clutch

I just finished installing a Clake One Light clutch on my 2017 EXC 500. I also have the Scotts BRP damper setup which raises the handle bars roughly 1”. 

My clutch line now is tight at full lock to the right. Has anyone re routed their clutch line? Can I get around this without ordering a longer braided line? 

Paul

I have a Clake 2 on two of my bikes. 

Scotts sub mount and all. 

I had to reroute it a little by just pulling it out of some of the clips that connect it to the stator wires and adjusting the line towards the front of the bike. I also took the rubber cover off of the clutch line fitting at the master cylinder. That let the line swop down ward faster instead of fighting that rubber. Basically just need to zip tie it differently and give it some slack.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J.Johnson said:

I have a Clake 2 on two of my bikes. 

Scotts sub mount and all. 

I had to reroute it a little by just pulling it out of some of the clips that connect it to the stator wires and adjusting the line towards the front of the bike. I also took the rubber cover off of the clutch line fitting at the master cylinder. That let the line swop down ward faster instead of fighting that rubber. Basically just need to zip tie it differently and give it some slack.

You mean the rubber boot that butts up on the stock brembo but is rendered useless on the clake? You just removed it? 

Does your cable touch the cylinder head at all? 

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, J.Johnson said:

I would have to look see if the cable touches the cylinder head. I do not recall

Brilliant! Thanks for the reply. I’m off to the shop to give it a go. 

Post a ride-report once you're able. Did you have to ditch the stock switchgear to get it to fit?

I've been debating the OLC for my '17 350EXC. Although while debating, I've been doing hand/finger strength exercises, which seem to be helping my ability to one-finger the stock clutch - at least for the first half of the ride... 

Edited by jrodicus100

I do not run a recluse. 

I love the one finger clutch and one finger rear brake action on this Clake 2 .  I have had it for 3 years now. I ride all day with it. Honestly if any of my fingers get sore, it is my pinky finger from hanging on. But I do multi day rides no problem. 

2 hours ago, jrodicus100 said:

Post a ride-report once you're able. Did you have to ditch the stock switchgear to get it to fit?

I've been debating the OLC for my '17 350EXC. Although while debating, I've been doing hand/finger strength exercises, which seem to be helping my ability to one-finger the stock clutch - at least for the first half of the ride... 

My EXC has been completely stripped for off road use. No turn signals, no horn, no key etc. So I had plenty of room. Having said that the way the Clake mounts even if you have the controls for your horn and signals ‘switchgear’ you will have plenty of room as the Clake needs to be moved inboard in order for the clutch to line up with your finger. 

100% I will be doing a ride report for you. 

I have a smorgasbord of grip strength apparatuses at home. I’m a bit of a weirdo when it comes to hand strength. For me I wanted more clutch feel and control. 

Stay tuned! 

• Like 1

After installing risers on my XRL I noticed the engine was dying when the handlebars were turned to the far right...had to re-route the handlebar mounted choke cable.  Also rode a buddies GS where it went full throttle when the bars were turned to the left.  Ha.  yeah always check cable clearance when mounting risers, there's usually a way to re-reoute it elsewhere.

• Like 1

I haven’t got out for a ride yet (life) but here are a few pics. Once I test this clutch out I’ll put up a little ride report and answer questions for those that are insterested. 

A92A2C8F-3DD4-427F-BF72-5757335025BB.jpeg

B63E0F6E-D5AA-44DC-88C0-E8CF35FD155A.jpeg

That Clake lever looks like it provides plenty of leverage.  

My 2016 KTM 350 EXCF has a Clake Two, Rekluse CX and (about to be delivered) Mako 360 handlebar isolation mount, and Scott (over the bar).  

The Clake fitted perfectly (I kept the rear foot brake lever option) and bars turn side to side.  I'm 56 and love the Clake but all that finger action was a proving a bit too much, so on with the Rekluse.  I thought I would hate it, but it's actually a great bit of kit.

Then I blew a disc in my neck being overly aggressive in the NJ whoops.  So Mako 360 is on its way from Slavens.

Morale in this story....  (a) Dirt biking is not for poor people (i've lost track of the excuses I've told the wife as to why another box has arrived from UPS), (b) if you have no skill, simply bolt on an widget (scott, rekulse, clake, stegspegs....)

Keep ridiing :-)

• Like 1

On 2018-06-15 at 6:11 PM, JeremyCondie said:

That Clake lever looks like it provides plenty of leverage.  

My 2016 KTM 350 EXCF has a Clake Two, Rekluse CX and (about to be delivered) Mako 360 handlebar isolation mount, and Scott (over the bar).  

The Clake fitted perfectly (I kept the rear foot brake lever option) and bars turn side to side.  I'm 56 and love the Clake but all that finger action was a proving a bit too much, so on with the Rekluse.  I thought I would hate it, but it's actually a great bit of kit.

Then I blew a disc in my neck being overly aggressive in the NJ whoops.  So Mako 360 is on its way from Slavens.

Morale in this story....  (a) Dirt biking is not for poor people (i've lost track of the excuses I've told the wife as to why another box has arrived from UPS), (b) if you have no skill, simply bolt on an widget (scott, rekulse, clake, stegspegs....)

Keep ridiing :-)

An honest broker right there. I’m going to look at the Mako 360just because I’m curious and when it comes to bike it seems like there is a constant inferno in my wallet for bike parts. Even though I’m wearing 10 year old shirts. 

On 2018-06-14 at 8:53 AM, OnPipe said:

You mean the rubber boot that butts up on the stock brembo but is rendered useless on the clake? You just removed it? 

Does your cable touch the cylinder head at all? 

Thanks!

I used a razor and trimmed a notch out of the rubber boot to allow it to come up against the Clake reservoir.

IMG_8131.PNG

Edited by Fatt_Tones
  • Like 1

Update: 

ive been busy and haven’t been able to ride much. However I installed the Clake and 1” risers successfully. I did have to re route my clutch line and it seems to work. I just took the bike out for a quick 5min confirmation ride in the field before I head out tomorrow. It seems amazing right off the bat, the pull is super light and you truly only need one finger. 

More to follow. 

Well I just got back from my first real ride with the Clake clutch and all I can say is wow. Start selling coke, pimp your wife, do what you must to get one of these. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. It took a good 30 mins of getting used too, but then that was it. Never looking back. I’m converted. If you have any questions just ask. 

• Like 2

I've owned the Clake OLC for about 4 years now and have really loved it, I've had it on 3 different bikes so far and it buttery smooth on my 2017 TX300 it really makes the clutch pull much easier. 

Last year I removed my Rekluse in search of better modulation for technical riding. Lately I've found that the OLC feels more like an on/off switch for the clutch as the slip range is so narrow it's hard to be precise with it? Has anyone else running a OLC noticed this?

I'm wondering if I would be better off going back to my Magura MC with a Midwest Mountain Engineering lever?