LOOK! It's the Chongqing "CRF230"!

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I bought a LiFe Chinese battery the same size as the CRF230 and CRF250X use.

s-l200.jpg

Cost was $40 shipped. It only lasted 1 1/2 hours into the first ride and then did a meltdown. :foul:

IMAG0358.jpg.7b38ecad1ff4ae6521c9c158e91774aa.jpgIMAG0359.jpg.d42a007a77d8d8006639ac1bb1a74fdd.jpgIMAG0360.jpg.fd1e485c15b9d1583c1583568bbd14eb.jpgIMAG0361.thumb.jpg.1257f804a9d76e3a1d52b956ca6986d4.jpgIMAG0362.jpg.2ded52cad5dad2fdffb1eec335cdecc4.jpg

Damn! Sorry to hear that Chuck! What's worse is, that's probably happening on a regular basis. 

No kidding Steve! That could've burnt the bike up and then you before you even knew it. 

How did you end up finding it? Your but start getting super hot? 

I stopped for some reason, not unusual, and since the battery was new I glanced at it to make sure it wasn't loose in its mount, and it had a funny shape. The battery was mounted above the swing arm pivot in front of the shock in an aluminum tray so it had plenty of air space around it, but the carb was close by.
I have had a Shorai LiFe battery in my CRF250X for several years and no problems so I thought the technology was safe.

2 hours ago, Old Plonker said:

@Roostre and @chadzu have been running 2019 GPX 250Rs:

Just like Apple and many other companies can get high quality out of China, it seems that GPX is also getting much better quality from there.

Haters gonna hate,  but I have no reason to automatically hold it against a product it's country of origin.  I try to support local companies first, but with dirtbikes that means quality accessories like Trail Tech, Tubliss, Giant Loop, etc.

The GPX is heads and tails better than the typical Chinese  scooters you belittle.

Edited by Roostre
add against
  • Like 3

So shall we keep funding China with our hard-earned money so they can use it to turn experimental prototype junk into a competitive product?

I am developing new software for the automation of ASME Section VIII, Division 1 calculations from a product configurator so will you throw funds my way?

Babcock & Wilcox threw all sorts of effort at China and went back to Mexico after China failed to deliver yet stole all their proprietary information...

South Korea, for example, has given us the Genesis auto brand and proved their value in the marketplace.  China has given us...  Nothing...

Should we buy good tools from Snap-On or take our chances with tools from Harbor Fright while they try to get it right?

It's not hate...  It's not belittling...  It's just simple observation...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

So shall we keep funding China with our hard-earned money so they can use it to turn experimental prototype junk into a competitive product?

Should we buy good tools from Snap-On or take our chances with tools from Harbor Fright while they try to get it right?

If Trump has any say in it we will be.

Hell, these bikes probably hold one of Ivanka's new Chinese trademarks. 

I love my Snap-On tools. I just go to Harbor Freight to get something cheap, (of course everything's cheap) in order to get the free flashlights or free microfiber rags ?

China can produce and sell any product at any quality level if they choose.  They import low quality motos into Mexico because that is what the working class can afford.  The average Mexican working class moto owner earns maybe 100 USD a week and cannot afford a quality product such as a Honda or Yamaha at $3500 USD when they can walk in to WalMart and buy a Chinese scooter for $700 USD.   They can qualify for financing that is available at many sales outlets. 

I do not know why they do not import quality motos into the US where the consumers can afford to pay more for a quality product.  My guess is that the motorcycle market in the US is shrinking and they are too smart to enter a saturated market so they import low quality bikes since no one else is competing with them in that market niche. 

I would not discount the Chinese.  Think of it this way, if something like 2% of the population of a country is at the Mensa level of intelligence, then do the math >>   1.3 billion Chinese vs 325 million Americans.   Lots of brain power over there.  A sleeping giant.

• Like 1

Hard thing is, these Chinese bikes look too similar, from "different" manufacturers. SSR's are somewhat getting established by traditional dealer networks - my local Honda/KTM/Suzuki dealer sells them - so I might be interested because of that. But they look a lot like the Chung King! Is the SSR and the Chung King the same bike??

If your local Honda/KTM/Suzuki dealer is selling SSR bikes, they're more than likely losing money. People are probably coming in buying the cheap Chinese bikes and leaving the name brand Japanese bikes sitting on the sales floor. 

Maybe that's why they started selling the SSR anyways? 

If your local Honda/KTM/Suzuki dealer is selling SSR bikes, they're more than likely losing money. People are probably coming in buying the cheap Chinese bikes and leaving the name brand Japanese bikes sitting on the sales floor. 
Maybe that's why they started selling the SSR anyways? 

I don’t think the dealership is going under or losing money. Diversifying their product line? They will have to service these SSR’s - I’d think they are putting their reputation on the line if they can’t repair them or get parts.