Chargerman

Rad Fan...can you test it?

7 posts in this topic

Good Day all,

2014 DRz400s.

I have never heard or seen the Rad Fan "cut in" or "be on". 

I know can put power directly to it to test the fan motor etc....but is there a way to test it to see if it works as it should thermostat wise?

Cheers 

Macdon221

Personally I start at one end and work my way towards the other

Supply power to the fan directly at the connector does it spin?
If yes
Continue one piece of wire / connector / switch at a time until you get to the battery

let it idle about 15-20 minutes in the garage if it goes over 20 mins it probably isnt working ... the danger here is walking away while your waiting and forgetting its running, dont do that .. bad things might happen that will cost you money lol ...

2 people like this

I believe with my aftermarket dash, my fan doesn't come on till it gets to about 104c or about 218f. It's got to get really hot.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Good Day all,

2014 DRz400s.

I have never heard or seen the Rad Fan "cut in" or "be on". 

I know can put power directly to it to test the fan motor etc....but is there a way to test it to see if it works as it should thermostat wise?

Cheers 

Macdon221

Takes a LOT of heat before the fan comes on, so I understand why you're wondering if it works. The only time mine comes on is if I'm sitting in traffic, riding really tight slow stuff, just barely above idle OR....when I'm ripping up a mountain at full throttle for fairly extended periods....on a warm day.

Yours likely works just fine, methinks.

3 people like this

18 hours ago, shuswap1 said:

Takes a LOT of heat before the fan comes on,

If the system is working, the fan should come on when the coolant temp reaches 205deg F, fan will shut off at 196 deg F

205deg is not all that hot, and will happen at idle sitting still on a warm day.