My ktm has weak spark help please

Okay I got a 1994 ktm 250 EXC last summer the bike ran great all year started first second kick always. This year when I got it out it seemed like it always just wanted to barely start but never would. I took the carb apart it was very clean but I cleaned it anyways and put it back together I also replaced the spark plug with the same plug I ran in it the previous summer I noticed I had a very weak spark compared to my rm 125 u had to Cup ur hands around it to see it at all if u took the cap off and put a screw driver up there and kicked it over it only tingled and didn’t give a good kick like some people say it is supposed to I replaced the plug anyways and it did start and Idled good for a min and then started to bog down I would give it gas and noting and then would rev real high I tried to ride it just around in first gear and the bike bogged down I would give it gas and it would be a full second and then lulch forward then it either died or u was done with it for the night. The next day I lowered the float bowl some since it seemed like it had too much gas but now I feel as though it is the spark not sparking the gas that is in there. I have tried several things the spark plug that is in it is not the manuals one but it ran fine with it last year so I don’t think that is the problem any suggestions I don’t see it very much online with a weak spark it’s always no spark. 

Tune the carb back to stock. Put some fresh mix in it, take it to the top of a hill and ride it down, when you get going FAST, drop it into gear. If it starts, the stator is bad. Take the cover off the OPPOSITE side of the clutch, that is where the stator is. If you know about resistance testing and you have a resistance spec. sheet you can OHM out the stator the coil and other wiring for open circuits. I am pretty sure the pre 98 ktm's didn't have the shitty module that burns out. 

Did you store the bike inside? have you checked EVERY wire and connector? Got any mice chewing on stuff? Oh is the spark plug wire rubbed through/cracking/brittle? This will cause weak spark as well. 

 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, theBIGnaud said:

Got any mice chewing on stuff?

where I live, mice and squirrels seem to love eating the insulation on wires. Which results in shorts and all sorts of electrical problems.

14 hours ago, pat22043 said:

where I live, mice and squirrels seem to love eating the insulation on wires. Which results in shorts and all sorts of electrical problems.

do they have a unlike button for the mice?

3 hours ago, theBIGnaud said:

do they have a unlike button for the mice?

not that I've found. Even a professional exterminator has challeges getting rid of them in your house, my garage is pretty hopeless. The live in the woods and not only do I live in the woods, all my riding is in the woods.

3 hours ago, pat22043 said:

not that I've found. Even a professional exterminator has challeges getting rid of them in your house, my garage is pretty hopeless. The live in the woods and not only do I live in the woods, all my riding is in the woods.

I have found those little green pellets work good but if they die in your walls..You have any cats?

This is crazy.  Your problem is not the spark if it stated right up when you put in a new plug.  

You have a fuel problem from leaving gas in the bike.  Drain all fuel and clean the carb, including the pilot jet which is probably gummed up.  The jets must be removed for proper cleaning.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now