New to Dirt Biking

Hello everyone. I just bought my son a dirt bike last Christmas and he is doing great. He just turned 9, but is a giant 9 year old. We bought a used 80cc, that was supped up to a 105 from a previous family of racers. He now is interested in racing, but I am not sure where or how to get his started. We reside in Las Vegas. Any pointers would be great. Thanks

5 minutes ago, DirtBike9 said:

Hello everyone. I just bought my son a dirt bike last Christmas and he is doing great. He just turned 9, but is a giant 9 year old. We bought a used 80cc, that was supped up to a 105 from a previous family of racers. He now is interested in racing, but I am not sure where or how to get his started. We reside in Las Vegas. Any pointers would be great. Thanks

Has he ridden a track before? Best idea would be to bring him to a few of the nearest tracks on practice days and let him loose. Help him with techniques by seeing him ride and he will grow into it.

Don’t yell at him or make him feel bad if he doesn’t do great. You don’t want to be a Mini-Dad and chances are slim he will go pro, so don’t push him too hard. 

Next step would be signing him up for a beginner 85 class. Not sure what classes they offer out that way.

• Like 1

Practice, and ride within the skill level. Don't let his friends gf peer pressure him into jumping his new bike that he hasn't even owned for 48hrs and crash and break his collar bone. That's what happend to me. Now 6-8 weeks no riding... 20180525_155845.jpeg

Def agree on family not agreeing. Everyone freaked out when we said he was going to ride. I almost changed my mind in allowing him to take up this sport. Then I really thought about it and it is something he has wanted to do for quite some time. So here we are. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phatspeed7x said:

Practice, and ride within the skill level. Don't let his friends gf peer pressure him into jumping his new bike that he hasn't even owned for 48hrs and crash and break his collar bone. That's what happend to me. Now 6-8 weeks no riding... 20180525_155845.jpeg

Wow. That looks painful. It’s a chance you have to take though. If your scared you will injure yourself even worse. Heal and get back on. Just be cautious. 

Wow. That looks painful. It’s a chance you have to take though. If your scared you will injure yourself even worse. Heal and get back on. Just be cautious. 
Lesson learned. But now I got some new hardware. Can't wait to see the x-ray at post op in two weeks.