Warranty work - skeptical of the work

Looking for others thoughts on this...

i took a bike in on warranty for the speedo not working.  The hour counter worked but the speed and distance has read 0 since I bought it.  I drop it off 2 weeks ago. They went over everything and determined it was the speed sensor. A week and a half later it comes in and they put it on. Speed sensor doesn’t fix the problem, they find out it’s the magnet on the rotor is missing but all of a sudden where the trail tech mounts is cracked (the back of the trail tech itself) they say they can just epoxy it. The next day all of a sudden with the new magnet in there it isn’t working at all, the trail tech won’t come on and they’re claiming it has something to do with the damaged meter which isn’t covered under warranty and gave me some ridiculous quote to order a new one. So here’s the deal...it worked when I dropped it off. It also had to have worked when they tested the speed sensor or else they would have brought this up, but all they said was the speed sensor didn’t work so they’re going to order a magnet and put it on and try that. As far as the crack goes...they didn’t bring this up until after they already replaced the speed sensor and found that remedy not to work. You would think they would have noticed this right off the bat and let me know when they first started looking into the problem.  The only way I can see that part breaking is by somebody over tightening the mounting bolts. That’s the only way, that area is very protected. The bike did get looped but it didn’t not land on the front, and even if it did that area is extremely protected and there is no other damage anywhere up there.  The mechanic won’t call me back and the guy at the front desk “doesn’t have any details”.   

What do you guys think? The more I think about it the more I’m leaning towards they broke the trail tech. There’s just no other way. 

Just have to ask,  did you try to figure anything out yourself.  As in reading the manual on how to properly operate the trail tech unit and how to check simple things like is sensor unit installed properly in regards to proper gap distance. If so you should have seen magnet missing, checking the battery in the unit itself, would have solved the issue as to when the crack happened.

First you said it didn't work when you bought it, did you contact them ASAP to at least let them know it was not working properly?  How much time ? 1 week,month??

I have never been refused a warranty claim regarding a Trail Tech ever.  OR any other type of issue not taken care of in a very timely matter.  Have had some very weird thing happen with Trail Tech tho but all have been taken care of.

I think you have a communication and trust issue going on here.

Later George

Posted (edited)

It was 1 month. There’s nothing to figure out. The speedometer read 0 and distance traveled read 0. I t took the headlight off so I could get to the wiring harnesses and everything checked out. The trail tech was not damaged. I had no need to open it to look at a battery, since power was not an issue. After that I took it to the shop a couple weeks later when I had time. 

Edited by MixinGasKickinAss

If it's within the warranty time period it's covered......

Now have to figure out who broke it.  And yes battery can cause unit to malfunction, had a few with bad batteries changed them and then they worked properly.  Also bad diode can cause a problem.  So yes there are a few things to figure out.  And yes the unit is on back order usually takes a couple of weeks to get in.

Later George

Is a physical defect like that covered by warranty if it didn’t come from the factory that way? They’re telling me it’s not. And I have a feeling they broke it but it’s their word against mine basically.  I don’t know how else it could’ve been broken. That area is protected and no other damage up there anywhere.  I’m not asking about diodes or batteries. 

He said, She said.

Talk to the OWNER of the shop and tell him your story. 

Sounds like a typical poorly run dealership, not acts based on malice.

You are very sketchy with the details, so it's very hard to give you any support.

Posted (edited)

I’ll try to give more detail, not sure what you mean by being sketchy. I was just trying to avoid writing a novel. 

-bought bike about a month ago.

-noticed right off the bat the Speedo wasn’t working, didn’t read to much into it. Just wanted to ride and thought I could figure it out or maybe that I had to set it up or something.  I didn’t really care at that point  

-got to the point of wanting it fixed.  So I just looked into the wiring connections.

-everything looked fine. Didn’t notice the trail tech being broken

-turns out I am leaving to work in a city 2 hours away  with a beta dealership. I call and schedule an appointment for 2 weeks out which is when I will be in that area.

-in the mean time the bike was looped on the pavement in 2nd gear, moving relatively quickly (not by me).  The rear fender and sub fender broke and some scratches on the left side. The bike landed on the left side.

-now it’s time to take the bike into the shop for the scheduled appointment.

-at this time trailtech turns on just fine. Push a button and the display pops up.

-I tell the shop about the looping and ask if they can look over it to see if there was any other damage besides the obvious.

-two days after I drop it off they call and tell me it’s the speed sensor and they had to order it. No mention of anything else at this time.

-a week after that (2 days ago) speed sensor comes in and problem isn’t fixed. Says they noticed the magnet is missing. Also Mechanic tells me back of trail tech is cracked where it mounts to the bracket.  I can order a new one through them for 180$ or he can just epoxy it.  I’m thinking how did they not notice this before when troubleshooting the system, they would’ve definitely seen it but never mentioned it.

- today I get a call, the new magnet is put on but now the trail tech won’t turn on at all. They’re blaming this on the crack.   Again, when I dropped off the bike the trail tech turned on.  A week and a half of them checking and trying new things and not a single mention of the trail tech not turning on. (They would’ve had to have tested it after mounting the new speed sensor)

-guy at the front desk calls me to give me this news. I say I’ll come get the bike next week.  Tried calling the mechanic who I was in contact with and didn’t return my call.

-this whole situation has me thinking more into it since none of it really adds up.  So now I’m thinking to myself there’s no way that anything could’ve broken that trail tech mount.   The only thing I could see is that someone over tightened the mounting bolts when putting it back on- the mechanic told me the broken spot was right at the mounting bolts.  If it was already broken they would’ve noticed it right away and told me during the first call when they called me with their diagnosis and gave me a price quote for the broken fender.  not a week and a half later.  

Edited by MixinGasKickinAss

The part you need is, 026-400290-000=  $131.84  not $180.00 .

If it were here I would epoxy it, change battery and then do a reset just to make sure.

Have a hard time with over tightening breaking it because it's mounted in rubber grommets with 4mm studs these are not a high strength stud and will easily strip the threads.  But sometimes things happen.  More like shock from impact causing cracking.

As The Kran said talk to the owner.

Later George

Contact headquarters. 

Most likely, mounting tabs were cracked from overtightening but look closely body of the speedo to make sure that this didn't happened on the pavement incident. 

7 minutes ago, uptite said:

The part you need is, 026-400290-000=  $131.84  not $180.00 .

If it were here I would epoxy it, change battery and then do a reset just to make sure.

Have a hard time with over tightening breaking it because it's mounted in rubber grommets with 4mm studs these are not a high strength stud and will easily strip the threads.  But sometimes things happen.  More like shock from impact causing cracking.

As The Kran said talk to the owner.

Later George

This is the kind of info I was looking for.  If you say it would be hard to overtighten those and break the unit then I can cross that off.  Also if hard impact could cause this then that’s a possibility. Like I said it was looped on the pavement, but it just landed on its side. Seems like it would be pretty cheaply made if it could break from that.  

7 minutes ago, dirtbird said:

Contact headquarters. 

Most likely, mounting tabs were cracked from overtightening but look closely body of the speedo to make sure that this didn't happened on the pavement incident. 

The Speedo didn’t get hit. The only way that this could’ve been caused by that incident is if the force was so great that it just broke it from the impact of the bike landing, which also seems a bit unreasonable. 

• Like 1

I have seen a couple speedo units on Beta two strokes to be damaged upon pdi . this presumably happened during shipping. perhaps it was some what cracked during shipping and was not noticed until it was completely cracked and noticed by you. any thing at this time is speculation of course. good luck getting it sorted out. Dan